D-Line

Tater

f.k.a. "Tubtastic"
Reaction score
M I the only one kinda jacked at the prospects of our D-line next year? I can't remember the last time we had a decent D-line (Van De Steeg?). If Hageman becomes the force we think he can be and Wilihite steps up, I like or prospects. Cautiously optimistic.

I don't know where I stand with our DL.

I am not overly concerned with their ability to rush the passer. I don't think that will be a huge issue, so with them I am cautiously optimistic.

That said, I am pretty concerned with our ability to stop the run. Hageman needs to be huge (and I think he will be), but the rest of our DL is somewhat undersized and pretty young. So against the run, I am probably more hopefully pessimistic.

I don't know where I stand with our DL.

I am not overly concerned with their ability to rush the passer. I don't think that will be a huge issue, so with them I am cautiously optimistic.

That said, I am pretty concerned with our ability to stop the run. Hageman needs to be huge (and I think he will be), but the rest of our DL is somewhat undersized and pretty young. So against the run, I am probably more hopefully pessimistic.

They won't be able to stand up/ dance with OL. The other DL will have to blow by their man and create havoc in the backfield before the back has a chance to get going. Otherwise we may very well be seeing the front seven and safeties making tackles 5+ yards down field.

By the end of the OOC games Claeys will have some great "surprises" for us in the front 7.

By the end of the OOC games Claeys will have some great "surprises" for us in the front 7.

From he NIU site:

For the last 15 years, Tracy Claeys has been Jerry Kill's right hand man. Since joining Kill in 1995, Claeys has produced top defensive units at each of his coaching stops and the Kansas native has continued that tradition at Northern Illinois.

Under Claeys, Northern Illinois has boasted the No. 1 defense in the Mid-American Conference in each of the last two seasons.

Last year's "no-name" defense topped the MAC and ranked 30th in the country in total defense. The Huskies were also among the top 30 FBS teams in the country in scoring defense and held opponents' below 125 yards per game on the ground.

In his first season at NIU, Claeys and the defensive staff engineered one of the biggest turnarounds in the country as the Huskies led the MAC in pass defense, total defense and scoring defense.

The Huskies boasted the second-most improved scoring defense in the nation in 2008 and NIU finished in the top 20 nationally in three categories - fifth in pass defense, 14th in scoring defense and 17th in total defense. Rivals.com named Claeys as the MAC's Defensive Coordinator of the Year for 2008.

Claeys' resumé also includes coaching several standout defensive players, most recently NIU's Larry English, the first-round draft choice of the NFL's San Diego Chargers in 2009. Claeys also coached Seattle Seahawks' 1999 first-round draft choice Lamar King at Saginaw Valley State. Other NFL players he tutored include 10-year NFL veteran DE Paul Spicer at Saginaw Valley State, and current New York Giants' linebacker Bart Scott at Southern Illinois, a 2006 Pro-Bowler as a member of the Baltimore Ravens.

In his last five years at Southern Illinois, Claeys' defenses allowed just 18.5 points per game while holding opponents to 14 points or less 21 times, including five shutouts.

Claeys' 2007 unit helped SIU reach the FCS National Semifinal, as they ranked as the 10th-best scoring defense in the country (FCS) and the second-best scoring defense at SIU since 1983. The 2007 group also intercepted 21 passes to rank fourth in the nation.

The 2007 defense at SIU was overshadowed only by the 2004 squad. That group led the country in scoring defense, allowing just 13.2 points per game. The Salukis gave up only 101.7 yards per game on the ground while snagging 17 interceptions.

The SIU defense also had standout years under Claeys in 2005, when the team ranked 13th nationally in rushing defense, and in 2003, when the unit was 18th in the country in total defense

http://www.niuhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/claeys_tracy00.html

He has been with the Killer for almost 20 years. I like what he will do this year with the D. If the O line has put on 20 pounds of lean mass, the D line hasn't been taking a break either. A healthy Beal is a wild card to be accounted for somewhere with Claeys. Somewhere.

He produces NFL talent (especially at DE) even from small schools with No Name Defenses. He can handle the B1G challenge. Just watch and be Gopher Proud.

Without any evidence, I think they are still a year away from being really good because that is just how things work. Older lines are usually better lines, both because of physical maturity and mental preparation. I'm betting they will show improvement this year, however

Without any evidence, I think they are still a year away from being really good because that is just how things work. Older lines are usually better lines, both because of physical maturity and mental preparation. I'm betting they will show improvement this year, however

This is especially true when you can not name the last good DC.

Both the OL & DL are finding their way, learning the system and are in need of extensive PT. I look for improvement from both units and both should be much improved by the last game.

Can we expect both lines to be solid in 2013? I think so.

Bayfield

Both the OL & DL are finding their way, learning the system and are in need of extensive PT. I look for improvement from both units and both should be much improved by the last game.

Can we expect both lines to be solid in 2013? I think so.

Bayfield - Have you forgotten that these guys don't have enough stars to be good and the coaches haven't shown that they can do it in the Big Ten?

Top Bottom