Current roster

RaT

Reaction score
Taking Micheal Carter out of the equation, who is more than likely going to take some snaps at DB? I am sure Collado will get some PT, but who else?

Your thoughts. Any underclassemen looking to make a big step up?

Kerry Lewis

I have seen some tape on this guy and I am really excited to see him play, he is a very good and aggressive tackler which is something we have really missed this year from the cornerback spot. I'm just not sure if he is going to be a safety ( on the slight side right now) or if he has the cover skills to be a D1 corner. May need a couple of years to fill into a safety spot. Should be a special teams demon from day one!

I have seen some tape on this guy and I am really excited to see him play, he is a very good and aggressive tackler which is something we have really missed this year from the cornerback spot. I'm just not sure if he is going to be a safety ( on the slight side right now) or if he has the cover skills to be a D1 corner. May need a couple of years to fill into a safety spot. Should be a special teams demon from day one!

Is kerry Red-shirting?

Redshirting

I think so. Have not seen his name mentioned anywhere as far as in games. maybe someone else has more knowledge on that.

I think I asked my question incorrectly. What I meant to say, is who will step up next year after our two senior CB's graduate.

This is an area of concern for me for this squad.

Well taking Carter out of it leaves you with only one spot.

It's basically Collado's job to lose. He has the experience and he's the guy they've gone to in numerous situations this year. That should tell you something.

I love Kerry Lewis, but even I have a hard time seeing him starting on day #1 over a senior with as much experience as Collado has.

Also, not to nitpick too much, but the title of the thread doesn't really make any sense either.

Next years Lineup in the secondary

CB- Collado / Lewis?
FS- Royston / Dandridge
SS- Theret / Rallis
CB- Carter / Watkins?

A lot of people aren't really high on him because of his lack of athletic ability, but it's going to be tough to see Theret go after next year. The kid has a nose for the ball and works like he has something to prove every play. I haven't heard his name called much this year, but he's a player.

A lot of people aren't really high on him because of his lack of athletic ability, but it's going to be tough to see Theret go after next year. The kid has a nose for the ball and works like he has something to prove every play. I haven't heard his name called much this year, but he's a player.

Good LB are taking his tackles. It is nice to see that his tackles are down and our LB's are up.

Next years Lineup in the secondary

CB- Collado / Lewis?
FS- Royston / Dandridge
SS- Theret / Rallis
CB- Carter / Watkins?

I have reason to believe that Rallis will be pushed by James Manuel next season. I love Rallis as a football player, but he cannot cover very efficiently.

Another wildcard I would like to throw in is RobDonovan Lewis. I know his offer list may not be that great, but after watching some film on him he seems to be very athletic and strong in the run game as a corner. Hopefully he commits.

Finally, I just cannot get over the fact that this team is only going to have one justifiable cornerback going into next season. There is NO depth at the position. Was this a failure on Brewster's part to bring in CB's the year he brought in all the JUCO's during his first class?

Finally said:
This is the main point of my original thread. I am completely discounting any potential incoming freshman because I really don't see any Micheal Carter types giving us strong consideration at this time.

So what CB porospects have we signed that would be either Sophmores or Juniors, coould fill in? Or are we just banking on Redshirt freshman to be our depth?

CB is definitely a big question spot for next year. But i think an important thing to remember is that most of our unhappiness with our corner play this year is because of the soft cautious scheme that Cosgrove employs. As much as it sucks to watch it does tend to minimize the risk and weaknesses of corners. hopefully it will keep the learning curve from being too painful next year.

CB is definitely a big question spot for next year. But i think an important thing to remember is that most of our unhappiness with our corner play this year is because of the soft cautious scheme that Cosgrove employs. As much as it sucks to watch it does tend to minimize the risk and weaknesses of corners. hopefully it will keep the learning curve from being too painful next year.

Do you feel that Cosgrove would ever change is stance on cornerback play if we actually had more talent to play the position?

I wonder about that. I'm not sure if it's tightening up that needs to happen, or experience. Seems to me, knowing when to close might be important. having the feel and internal clock to know when to make a move. I think maybe it takes some time in the system, and probably a more consistent pass rush. If you know every play is going to finish within 4-4.5 seconds and a guy comes into your zone at four seconds there is no point playing off the guy, but it takes feel, and that takes time. All I know, is that it's no fun to watch. Although we do seem to get burned much less than other teams.

From what I know from Wisc.and Neb., Cosgrove will not change, this is what he has used, and to change after all these yrs. would be ALMOST impossible. The whole secondary has to learn to read the QB and break on the throwing motion, not wait till the ball is in the air. They are terribleat this. The LB's seem to do pretty will at getting into the hook zones and throwing lanes, so they are reading.

Do you feel that Cosgrove would ever change is stance on cornerback play if we actually had more talent to play the position?

When he was at Wisconsin and had shut down corners in the late 90's they played a lot tighter coverage than at the end of his time at Wiscy in 2003 when they didn't have shut down corners. I think it is say to say that his defensive schemes are influenced by the talent of the players he is coaching.

It would be nice to have somebody to take over a safety spot next year.

Read into that whatever you like.

Cosgrove could definitely do his corners a favor by being more aggressive up front and getting some pressure on the QB so that the receivers are not forced to cover for so long. He tends to follow more of the bend but not break philosophy of defense.

Heard the Brewster show and a question came up about us playing so far off the ball, and if we were waiting for faster DB's to be more aggressive.

Brew had an interesting response. He pretty much said what we're seeing is the zone and as we're able to be more successful at pressuring the QB we'll end up with more man to man. He seemed to think we were already progressing towards this. He said it was his goal to be a pressuring defense. Interesting.

Heard the Brewster show and a question came up about us playing so far off the ball, and if we were waiting for faster DB's to be more aggressive.

Brew had an interesting response. He pretty much said what we're seeing is the zone and as we're able to be more successful at pressuring the QB we'll end up with more man to man. He seemed to think we were already progressing towards this. He said it was his goal to be a pressuring defense. Interesting.

If Brewster truly wants a pressuring defense then he better take the play calling duties away from Cosgrove. He is just not an aggressive nor innovative defensive coordinator. He also seems to struggle at getting the most out of his players.

Fletcher and Echols......

When he was at Wisconsin and had shut down corners in the late 90's they played a lot tighter coverage than at the end of his time at Wiscy in 2003 when they didn't have shut down corners. I think it is say to say that his defensive schemes are influenced by the talent of the players he is coaching.

IIRC When he had Fletcher (St.Louis, Mo,) and Fletcher he had his corners on an island quite frequently. He also had a very argressive DL during that era.

Weber

Maybe they should stick Adam Weber at conerback next year!

I'd like one (or two) new safety starters next year too Studwell. I think Johnny Johnson might be in the mix at CB just based on the fact that he's been on special teams for two years now. Not much game experience returning at CB.

Top Bottom