Current College Town Tier List (Tier 5: Minnesota)

Not sure how to rank them, but I agree we aren't close to a college town. In the '90s, the U was a commuter school and now they got rid of all the nostalgic places and it looks like a mess to me.

How did they come up with this list?

Clear bias towards small town colleges here. I grew up on a dirt road in the woods so I liked how the U is in a city. There was always plenty of traditional college stuff to do but also the options of a big city. The only regret I have about my campus experience was Dome football vs. the current situation.

This guy must make a killing off social media. He's obvioulsy quite talented to be able to rate both the top 50 offensive line coaches in college football and tier all the college towns as well. Next up is one of those "one has to go" candy tweets which always includes a picture of Almond Joy which 90% of those who intereact with said tweet says needs to go.

So Washington, in an urban city in the middle of a 3+ million resident metro area is tier 2. Meanwhile Minnesota, in an urban city in the middle of a 3+ million resident metro area is tier 5? Okay.

everything I have seen from that Twitter account has been garbage but it gets a lot of clicks and discussion over the senseless rankings it spews out so good for him/them I guess.

So Washington, in an urban city in the middle of a 3+ million resident metro area is tier 2. Meanwhile Minnesota, in an urban city in the middle of a 3+ million resident metro area is tier 5? Okay.

everything I have seen from that Twitter account has been garbage but it gets a lot of clicks and discussion over the senseless rankings it spews out so good for him/them I guess.
I don't know if you've been to Washington's campus before, but I live in Seattle now. There's just a tad more separation between the University and the city. In addition its far easier to not have to leave the "University District" to get essentials like groceries and whatnot. Dinkytown and como didn't quite have that. I know many people would go down university to snelling to get to target and cub foods, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

I don't know if you've been to Washington's campus before, but I live in Seattle now. There's just a tad more separation between the University and the city. In addition its far easier to not have to leave the "University District" to get essentials like groceries and whatnot. Dinkytown and como didn't quite have that. I know many people would go down university to snelling to get to target and cub foods, etc.

Just my 2 cents.
There is a Target IN Dinkytown.

The same guy came out with a list of schools that have comparable fan bases. He paired the Gophers with Washington. He's not even trying.

There is a Target IN Dinkytown.
Target "Express", unless a full target has gone up recently.

Having gone there a few times, it's about as useful as a large CVS or Walgreens in terms of necessities. I doubt many people are shopping there for a full week worth of groceries.

I agree with anything this list says. They didn't put Shitbraska number one..................

Target "Express", unless a full target has gone up recently.

Having gone there a few times, it's about as useful as a large CVS or Walgreens in terms of necessities. I doubt many people are shopping there for a full week worth of groceries.
College kids buy groceries? Thought they just ate Chipotle for every meal.

Just my 2 cents.
I'll vouch for that. Got two kids at the U. They find a way to get to the Roseville Target or the Midway Target. Buying anything at that Target Express in Dinkytown will set you back some money.

There's my 2 cents. We're up to 4 cents now.

Not sure how to rank them, but I agree we aren't close to a college town. In the '90s, the U was a commuter school and now they got rid of all the nostalgic places and it looks like a mess to me.
Is there a college town feel at the U? Maybe that was true back in the sixties. Any semblance of college-town life around the U is disappearing. Leave it to developers to kill and sap the life out of Dinkytown.

They did it to downtown Minneapolis when they demolished the iconic Nankin Restaurant. It was a place to meet someone. Friends used to say, "Let's meet at the Nankin" when coming down to the cities. What attracted regular folks from all over also attracted shady characters. That partially led to its demise. Chow Mien and Chop Suey fell out of flavor in the evolving culinary Twin Cities scene in the late 1980s to early 1990s. It was relocated to the ugly City Center. The ambiance of the original Nankin was gone. I was surprised that it was not protected as a historic landmark.

The Nankin had its own orchestra from the 1920s to the 1950s.

Last edited:

Perhaps I'm alone in this, perhaps im biased...I've been to to the campus' of Minn, IA and sconnie. To me sconnie isn't any better than Iowa, and quite frankly....Minnesota is as good or better than Iowa.

So how do they come up with this list? And why do people always say sconnie has the best campus?
Parts of it aren't any better than SCSU.........

If you are a visiting fan, the Twin Cities is a great trip. There is plenty of shopping and things to see and do. There is no tax on clothing.

One thing that will be nice is more open space near the Bank Stadium. It will be nice if the area between Unversity Avenue SE to the north, Washington Avenue SE to the south, Oak Street SE to the west, and 23rd Avenue SE to the east is turned into an open mall.

We need a large place for fans to congregate. Do you know of any wealthy benefactor who can buy all those properties located inside this zone?

Just stayed a night in Bowling Green. The thing that struck me was the parking all around the stadium for tailgating. I also saw a Pittsburgh Pirates game and the party atmosphere outside the Park was outstanding. Made the Target Field experience pale in comparison.
Minnesota could do so much more to make the experience better at Huntington Bank stadium.

Clemson in Tier 6....please. That, alone, discredits this list! Without the school, Clemson is nothing!!!!!!

lol at fort collins and boulder being tier 1. median home price in boulder is about a million and fort collins is half a million.

If you are a visiting fan, the Twin Cities is a great trip. There is plenty of shopping and things to see and do. There is no tax on clothing.

One thing that will be nice is more open space near the Bank Stadium. It will be nice if the area between Unversity Avenue SE to the north, Washington Avenue SE to the south, Oak Street SE to the west, and 23rd Avenue SE to the east is turned into an open mall.

We need a large place for fans to congregate. Do you know of any wealthy benefactor who can buy all those properties located inside this zone?

??

Is there a college town feel at the U? Maybe that was true back in the sixties. Any semblance of college-town life around the U is disappearing. Leave it to developers to kill and sap the life out of Dinkytown.

They did it to downtown Minneapolis when they demolished the iconic Nankin Restaurant. It was a place to meet someone. Friends used to say, "Let's meet at the Nankin" when coming down to the cities. What attracted regular folks from all over also attracted shady characters. That partially led to its demise. Chow Mien and Chop Suey fell out of flavor in the evolving culinary Twin Cities scene in the late 1980s to early 1990s. It was relocated to the ugly City Center. The ambiance of the original Nankin was gone. I was surprised that it was not protected as a historic landmark.

The Nankin had its own orchestra from the 1920s to the 1950s.
Yes, it does. That development actually allowed it to transition from the commuter campus it was when I attended. Close housing was sorely needed to make that transition. Dinkytown is alive and well.

Yes, it does. That development actually allowed it to transition from the commuter campus it was when I attended. Close housing was sorely needed to make that transition. Dinkytown is alive and well.
I never thought of that before. There wasn't enough on campus or near campus student housing then and now.

Top Bottom