CU Post-Mortem

BilldGopher

Section 211
Reaction score
Rarely do visits by the Gophers to other stadiums engender the level of despair being currently felt by the CU fanbase.

They are taking this beatdown very hard. An example...
We were almost at this level with Coach Brew...not quite...but close...

Glad we have PJ and his approach to FB. Progress.

It all ebb's and flows to some degree. I remember Nov 3, 2018. I brought my family to Illinois for a little late fall roadtrip. A bad Illini team whipped us 55-31. I was ready to be done. I did not think PJ was the answer and I certainly did not see us beating Wisconsin just a few weeks later, yet here we are.

They won a (AP, voted upon) natty just in 1990.

Not too much sympathy for them, yet.

Watching local Denver news the next morning, saw the sports segment. They did 5 minutes on CSU's first win and then when they finished sports guy came on and said. "This is the spot we usually reserve for Buffalo highlights, but there are none, they lost 30-0 to Minnesota. So we are moving on." Not a single shot from the game. I thought that was pretty funny.

Watching local Denver news the next morning, saw the sports segment. They did 5 minutes on CSU's first win and then when they finished sports guy came on and said. "This is the spot we usually reserve for Buffalo highlights, but there are none, they lost 30-0 to Minnesota. So we are moving on." Not a single shot from the game. I thought that was pretty funny.
Granted I got to our car ~25 minutes after the end of the game -- I couldn't find the CU postgame on radio.

Rarely do visits by the Gophers to other stadiums engender the level of despair being currently felt by the CU fanbase.

They are taking this beatdown very hard. An example...
We were almost at this level with Coach Brew...not quite...but close...

Glad we have PJ and his approach to FB. Progress.

This hits a little too close to home. PJF departing followed by a daylight murder like the one this past Saturday would lead to much depression and soul searching. Back up the Brinks truck, whip out the checkbook (if it will help) to keep PJF. A sound investment in the long run.

This gentleman runs the CU at the Game website and is a diehard and he is questioning his fandom. I wonder if we don't feel the same way because we aren't but 30 years removed from national relevance.

This comment from the writing you shared is something most MN fans can relate to, especially those of us that attended a lot of games in the Metrodome:

“It didn’t help that there were a smattering of Minnesota fans in our area. They were quiet and polite until the score hit 20-0, when a combination of confidence, beer and sunshine morphed some of them into obnoxious assholes.”

This comment from the writing you shared is something most MN fans can relate to, especially those of us that attended a lot of games in the Metrodome:

“It didn’t help that there were a smattering of Minnesota fans in our area. They were quiet and polite until the score hit 20-0, when a combination of confidence, beer and sunshine morphed some of them into obnoxious assholes.”
That's why I like to sit in the visitors section at away games so that my exuberance isn't equated with assholery -- at least when not playing Iowa or Wisconsin.

As an aside, during the 2010 Iowa game there were a group of drunk Iowa fans in the student section and when they took the lead in the fourth on a Marvin McNutt touchdown one of them runs up to me and says something to the effect of "you just got McNutted in the face" -- needless to say it was great to push past them to storm the field not long after.

Last edited:

This hits a little too close to home. PJF departing followed by a daylight murder like the one this past Saturday would lead to much depression and soul searching. Back up the Brinks truck, whip out the checkbook (if it will help) to keep PJF. A sound investment in the long run.
We got Kill from the MAC. Like him or not, he brought up back to respectable.

We got Fleck from the MAC. Iowa State got Campbell from the MAC. Kansas got Liepold from the MAC (this one is way too early).

The MAC well is there, and will continue to be there, for any P5 smart enough to drink from it.

We got Kill from the MAC. Like him or not, he brought up back to respectable.

We got Fleck from the MAC. Iowa State got Campbell from the MAC. Kansas got Liepold from the MAC (this one is way too early).

The MAC well is there, and will continue to be there, for any P5 smart enough to drink from it.
For any P5 smart enough to select judiciously. Beckman, Hazell, and Babers (jury still out?) come to mind as equally large failures

You overpay for talent if you have to, and you almost never regret overpaying for a premium asset/talent. If you're convinced Fleck is the man, and he probably still has something left to prove in that regard, there's no shame in overpaying him. Not one bit.

You don't give Fleck more money just because some reporter throws out a lazy piece saying he's a great match for the USC job.

Fleck's agent will do his job.

If they (Fleck and agent) have credible proof of interest from USC, then they absolutely will use that as leverage and the U will need to make a decision, then.

Not before.

My favorite part of the article is when he mentions that no one nationally saw it because it was tucked away to the PACN. Literally had to hunt for that game so you can guarantee that the casual fan wasn't getting a free trial of fubo to watch it
We are really fortunate to have BTN, some teams with even ESPN deals get the game but GARBAGE production values and etc.

I believe Fleck wants to be here and will be here for a long time! He has done nothing to suggest otherwise and looks to be building up to the point we have a real chance at having back to back* 10 win seasons (since COVID 2020 doesn’t count)… at that point, he unlocks another level of recruiting here and there really is nothing worth leaving for provided we get him an extension and raise up to north of $5M at the end of the year, which I’m sure our administration will do as long as we the fans show up and donate.

Wow....that is harsh....and really funny....unless you are a fan of Colorado but guessing their fans even got a chuckle from it and probably agree whole heartedly.

It all ebb's and flows to some degree. I remember Nov 3, 2018. I brought my family to Illinois for a little late fall roadtrip. A bad Illini team whipped us 55-31. I was ready to be done. I did not think PJ was the answer and I certainly did not see us beating Wisconsin just a few weeks later, yet here we are.
I believe it was after the 2018 defeat to the Illini that the D Coordinator was fired.

The rest is history a.k.a. Purdue the next week and beyond. Literally the season rose from the grave in Champaign to end up in the Motor City.

I did not see these obnoxious drunk Gopher fans...just a lot of cheering and gopher chants.

CU football fans have the Broncos to fall back on.

No such luck for Gophers fans.

If they (Fleck and agent) have credible proof of interest from USC, then they absolutely will use that as leverage and the U will need to make a decision, then.

Not before.
What satisfies your requirement for "credible" proof of interest? Does Coyle need to hear about it from PJ or Bryan Harlan directly? Does he wait for a call from the USC AD for permission to interview PJ?

What satisfies your requirement for "credible" proof of interest? Does Coyle need to hear about it from PJ or Bryan Harlan directly? Does he wait for a call from the USC AD for permission to interview PJ?
My personal requirements are meaningless -- it's entirely up to Coyle to decide if/when he believes Fleck's agent has provided credible proof.

I'm merely saying, you don't "back the Brinks truck up" prior to that, just because some college football reporter made some clickbait article naming coaches they think would be good fits, lists Fleck.

I kind of feel bad for the guy, but then again he can remember a national championship and several years of relevance. I have neither. There were times when I have felt worse than him and spent many Saturdays alone watching ass-whooping after ass-whooping, wondering if its even worth it anymore, while my friends and family are out doing fun weekend stuff.
Things are better now that what they've been. We can all relate.

I did not see these obnoxious drunk Gopher fans...just a lot of cheering and gopher chants.
The fans in 101 and 102 where I was were doing the latter -- I assume he was referencing a pocket of Gophs interspersed with the season ticket holders.

Depends on a person's idea of obnoxious I suppose. The fans by us that shouted "That's another golden gopher first down" after every first down even annoyed me a bit.

My personal requirements are meaningless -- it's entirely up to Coyle to decide if/when he believes Fleck's agent has provided credible proof.

I'm merely saying, you don't "back the Brinks truck up" prior to that, just because some college football reporter made some clickbait article naming coaches they think would be good fits, lists Fleck.
That's not how you posted...as your personal requirements.

I saw that and laughed.

I kind of feel bad for the guy, but then again he can remember a national championship and several years of relevance. I have neither. There were times when I have felt worse than him and spent many Saturdays alone watching ass-whooping after ass-whooping, wondering if its even worth it anymore, while my friends and family are out doing fun weekend stuff.
Things are better now that what they've been. We can all relate.
Another one from my memory vault. October 1, 2011. Gophers get routed by Michigan 58-donut and I make the mistake of going to the birthday party of an acquaintance immediately afterwards without changing out of my Gophers apparel. Keep in mind, this was a part of mostly completely strangers and I just got ragged on all afternoon.

I hated that day.

Top Bottom