CSNChicago: Can Gophers D overcome loss of Hageman, Vereen?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CSNChicago:

The biggest downside for the Gophers defense — and the team as a whole — heading into this season is whether last year’s performance is repeatable. An eight-win season is a lot different from a six-win season, and just a couple key plays were all that separated Minnesota from eight and six wins last year. They clinched victories against Northwestern and Indiana very late — thanks to mistakes by those opponents — and won each game by just three points. Wins against teams like Northwestern and Nebraska might not be as easy to come by this season.

But the good news is that the conference schedule isn’t necessarily as tough as it was a year ago. Games still exist against Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan and Iowa, but a three-game stretch against Northwestern, Purdue and Illinois could provide opportunities for wins. The Gophers played four ranked teams last season during conference play, with two of those games coming on the road.

Add that to a lot of experience on both sides of the ball, and the Gophers should be able to weather the losses of Hageman and Vereen. Things have just gone up under Kill — from 3-9 to 6-7 to 8-5 — and while it’s going to be mighty difficult to go up from there, another season like last isn’t necessarily out of the question.

http://www.csnchicago.com/big-ten/b1g-40-can-gophers-d-overcome-loss-hageman-vereen

Go Gophers!!

I weep for the journalism profession.

Brock Vereen was a second round pick (and he can blow fireballs out of his arse). Chicago mafia homerism or just an oversight. I dunno.

I know, it's asking a lot of Vinnie, Geri, and Tom to get their basic facts straight. After all, it's the only thing they are paid handsomely to do.

It's a spreading disease. The other night the local news was reporting from the "grizzly murder scene".

Brock Vereen was a second round pick (and he can blow fireballs out of his arse). Chicago mafia homerism or just an oversight. I dunno.

I know, it's asking a lot of Vinnie, Geri, and Tom to get their basic facts straight. After all, it's the only thing they are paid handsomely to do.

It's a spreading disease. The other night the local news was reporting from the "grizzly murder scene".

Perhaps a bear got murdered?

The opening sentence doesn't make sense: "The biggest downside for the Gophers defense — and the team as a whole — heading into this season is whether last year’s performance is repeatable." It would have made sense if it said "The biggest question...".

They clinched victories against Northwestern and Indiana very late — thanks to mistakes by those opponents — and won each game by just three points.

That's right, the Gophers didn't do anything to win those games, they simply won them because of mistakes by the other teams. It's not like the defense stepped up or the team put themselves in position to win or anything.

But the good news is that the conference schedule isn’t necessarily as tough as it was a year ago.

False.

That's right, the Gophers didn't do anything to win those games, they simply won them because of mistakes by the other teams. It's not like the defense stepped up or the team put themselves in position to win or anything.
+1 First it goes both ways. I'd say we were closer to beating Cuse than NW was to beating us last year since we were winning in that game for part of the last 5 minutes or whatever it was but during the last 5-7 minutes or whatever it was of the NW game we were actually leading by 10 and it could be argued that they were lucky to score and have the game end by only 3 instead of 10. And we were put 35-14 to IU at one point so if anything the only fluke would have been if IU would have been able to pull it off, not that we were able to keep the lead. Even if they didn't turn it over they still would have had to score a TD and a FG would have only sent it to OT.

I actually disagree. We get OSU but we lose MSU who ended up finishing 3rd in the country which is about where OSU is projected to be plus that was an away game. We lose Penn State and IU to Illinois and Purdue, both of whom are significantly worse than last years PSU and IU teams. Nebraska and Wiscy being away games are really the only more difficult parts of this years schedule compared to last years. I think the Purdue and Illinois games definitely make up for that and then some.

I actually disagree. We get OSU but we lose MSU who ended up finishing 3rd in the country which is about where OSU is projected to be plus that was an away game. We lose Penn State and IU to Illinois and Purdue, both of whom are significantly worse than last years PSU and IU teams. Nebraska and Wiscy being away games are really the only more difficult parts of this years schedule compared to last years. I think the Purdue and Illinois games definitely make up for that and then some.

I couldn't agree more. I have been saying the same thing on here for months.

The season needs to start. I'm tired of puff-pieces written by a bunch of lazy wind-bags.

Let's get to the real question - what does LeBron think about the B1G FB race now that he's back in B1G territory?

Polar Bear discussion starts around page 10, maybe?

All around fantastic thread:

Clicky

Thanks that made my day. I forgot how fantastic that thread was. BTW I have to ask. How are you doing? Being stabbed by that vicious bipolar bear.

All of the sudden I am craving a hotdog? Must be the above average humidity.

We thoroughly outplayed NW.

Syracuse deserved to win.

We were probably lucky in Bloomington.

Happy to clear this up for any knuckle-heads out there.

From the headline
Can Gophers D overcome loss of Hageman, Vereen?
to the topic sentence
The biggest downside for the Gophers defense — and the team as a whole — heading into this season is whether last year’s performance is repeatable.
The author is predicating the article on it cannot be done, it was a fluke. He has not talked to Coach Claeys who would have told him the defense will be better. But more importantly he did not watch the games last season. This team plays one play at a time. Never gives up, is relentless, and has playmakers. Luck is the residue of hard work . The lateral at Indiana was a mistake but we reacted. They didn't give us anything. Hill made a great heads up play, late in the game. That's what good teams do. We are becoming a good team, the analysis cannot see it.

The lateral at Indiana was a mistake but we reacted. They didn't give us anything. Hill made a great heads up play, late in the game. That's what good teams do. We are becoming a good team, the analysis cannot see it.

The unintended lateral certainly was a mistake, but that mistake was at least partly caused by a great call/play by the defense. I forget who, but I recall pressure on the QB that forced him to throw early. The DB also read the swing pass and broke off his blitz to be in position to make the big hit on the RB. Hill's heads-up play sealed the deal.

To Husker's point, all great examples of the Gophers not giving up and fighting to the end. It would have been easy to fold in the face of the Hoosier comeback, but the guys kept playing hard. It wasn't just luck.

I want to agree with this, but I just can't get on board. I'll grant you that Sparty and OSU are roughly equal challenges (although Minnesota has had problems with schools that recruit at an elite level and score lots of points). However, Wisconsin and Nebraska are really tough places to play. Minnesota took Nebraska to the woodshed last season (in a game that wasn't as close as the 11 point final margin indicated). However, I can't see them doing that in Lincoln. Madison and Lincoln are both places where the home teams gets waaayyyyyy too many calls (although, as a Gopher fan that difference is mitigated a bit by the fact that the Gophers don't even get calls at home).

The TCU game is a HUGE upgrade over anyone we played last season. Also, not sure why everyone is so down on Illinois. The Illini are VERY similar to Indiana---both teams can put up a ton of points and passing yards on offense and struggle on D. I think Illinois will be just as good as Indiana was last year.

Purdue is currently the worst program in the Big Ten. It is definitely nice to get them back on the schedule (and for Homecoming to boot! THAT is a game to get recruits to).

Also, the last 4 weeks go Iowa, Ohio State, at Nebraska, at Wisconsin. THAT is tougher than any other 4 game stretch Jerry Kill has had since he got here.

Kill and Co. have their work cut out for them. However, in year 4 they should be ready for such stiff challenges.

It's pretty lazy to say we could have easily been a 6 win team. We also were missed open receivers/dropped passes away from beating Wisconsin, MSU, and Syracuse. Could have been an 11 win team as easily as a 6 win team.

I want to agree with this, but I just can't get on board. I'll grant you that Sparty and OSU are roughly equal challenges (although Minnesota has had problems with schools that recruit at an elite level and score lots of points). However, Wisconsin and Nebraska are really tough places to play. Minnesota took Nebraska to the woodshed last season (in a game that wasn't as close as the 11 point final margin indicated). However, I can't see them doing that in Lincoln. Madison and Lincoln are both places where the home teams gets waaayyyyyy too many calls (although, as a Gopher fan that difference is mitigated a bit by the fact that the Gophers don't even get calls at home).

The TCU game is a HUGE upgrade over anyone we played last season. Also, not sure why everyone is so down on Illinois. The Illini are VERY similar to Indiana---both teams can put up a ton of points and passing yards on offense and struggle on D. I think Illinois will be just as good as Indiana was last year.

Purdue is currently the worst program in the Big Ten. It is definitely nice to get them back on the schedule (and for Homecoming to boot! THAT is a game to get recruits to).

Also, the last 4 weeks go Iowa, Ohio State, at Nebraska, at Wisconsin. THAT is tougher than any other 4 game stretch Jerry Kill has had since he got here.

Kill and Co. have their work cut out for them. However, in year 4 they should be ready for such stiff challenges.

I would say SJSU who was coming off an 11-2 season and had Fales who at the time was a projected top 15 pick is just if not harder than 4 win TCU. I was a lot more worried about that game then i am about this one. Illinois was definitely similar to IU last year but not on the same level, more of a poor man's version. I don't think they will be that potent on offense without Schaelhaase though who was really their only decent player last year. He was actually second or third team All Big Ten and i doubt they have an up and comer who can repeat that. They won't be second in the conference on O next year like IU was last year. It makes more sense to me to compare PSU to Illinois and IU to Purdue anyways instead of the other way around and last year's PSU will be superior to next years Illinois team and last years IU team is superior to next year's Purdue team. Lastly i just think Wisconsin won't be as good since they only return 3 starters on D and return zero bodies on their front 7 which was probably the best one they have had in a while. They also lose their top 3 receiving threats and i feel they will be more one dimensional on O.

I read somewhere that TCU is reputed to have one of the best D-lines or front 7 in the country this season. No link, can't even recall where I read it. Perhaps CFN.

If true, this will be strength on strength and should be entertaining trench warfare. We are going to need the line, Leidner and the backfield to lead this team to a statement victory, on the road, vs Kill's old pal and now nemesis. It'd be nice if they can complete a few forward throws in the preseason this year. This is going to be a barn burner on a multitude of levels.

This might be one of the games I'm most looking forward to this season.

A glance across the internetz has TCU ranked anwhere from #89 to #14 (Phil Steele). Evals are all over the place. They are reloading on offense/QB and were top 25 on defense last year and are getting back a 6-4 250 pound DE that as a freshman had 18.5 TFL and 10 sacks. Pirsig better have his ballsack taped up for this one. He's going to need to own this guy.

+1 First it goes both ways. I'd say we were closer to beating Cuse than NW was to beating us last year since we were winning in that game for part of the last 5 minutes or whatever it was but during the last 5-7 minutes or whatever it was of the NW game we were actually leading by 10 and it could be argued that they were lucky to score and have the game end by only 3 instead of 10. And we were put 35-14 to IU at one point so if anything the only fluke would have been if IU would have been able to pull it off, not that we were able to keep the lead. Even if they didn't turn it over they still would have had to score a TD and a FG would have only sent it to OT.

The biggest factor in the NW wasn't a mistake late in the game, but the fact that they didn't have Colter and Mark available.

Top Bottom