Crazy how ball bounces...what if?

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
What if Gophers went 0-3 in non conference? Is fleck still the coach? What would they have done in conference play?

Iowa lost 3 games all to ranked opponents by 14 total points

intersecting that Iowa State lost 5 games by 21 total points.

what other fun/crazy stats/facts do people have?

Northwestern won the west division last year with 8-1 record. Added a 5* QB transfer and went 1-8 in the west division this year.

Fleck was going to be the coach regardless of how this went on the field.

Major academic scandal or something might have derailed his career here.

What if Minnesota hadn’t fired Claeys? Do we go 10-2 this season with consecutively better recruiting classes than we’ve seen pretty much ever?

If ands and buts were candy and nuts we would have a very merry Christmas.

Gophers had two 1,000 yard WRs. No other B1G team has ever done that.

A few years ago our best WR was AJ Barker...at least according to his mom's BFF.

If the Gophers went 0-3 and then turned around to finish 7-2 in the Big Ten and 7-5 overall, finishing tied for first in the division, he'd still be the coach.

What if Johnson went pro last year? What if AWJ transferred out at the beginning? What if Rodney transferred out? Many things came together for this special season, including some Kill/Claeys' guys staying through the change, combined with new players and culture.

Gophers had two 1,000 yard WRs. No other B1G team has ever done that.

A few years ago our best WR was AJ Barker...at least according to his mom's BFF.

I was wondering about that.....thanks for enlightening me. Now that is a very cool and noteworthy accomplishment considering how many years the BIG has been in existence.

What if Tyler Johnson makes a catch in Iowa. We are probably playing on Saturday night and the Fat Ass from Fulda would have had to write an article on something else. Dam, my whole life would have been turned upside down. LMAO

Yeah, maybe the biggest what if of the season. Chances are MN wins. Shoulder shrug. He made a lot of great catches this season,

Iowa needed Iowa State to fumble a punt return with over a minute remaining to beat the Cyclones. Iowa won by 4 points against Minnesota in a game where the Gophers missed a fg, missed an extra point, had four drives inside the 33 end in no points including one where they dropped a touchdown. Iowa needed a long last second field goal to beat Nebraska. Iowa played close games with Purdue and Illinois. Iowa rushed 30 times for 1 yard against Michigan and scored just 3 points. They scored the last touchdown against both Wisconsin and Penn State in the waning minutes to make those games closer and never got the ball back. They were never going to win those games. The ball bounced very, very well for them.

Iowa needed Iowa State to fumble a punt return with over a minute remaining to beat the Cyclones. Iowa won by 4 points against Minnesota in a game where the Gophers missed a fg, missed an extra point, had four drives inside the 33 end in no points including one where they dropped a touchdown. Iowa needed a long last second field goal to beat Nebraska. Iowa played close games with Purdue and Illinois. Iowa rushed 30 times for 1 yard against Michigan and scored just 3 points. They scored the last touchdown against both Wisconsin and Penn State in the waning minutes to make those games closer and never got the ball back. They were never going to win those games. The ball bounced very, very well for them.
Iowa could have easily been sitting at .500 or below with how close a lot of their games were for them. We could have been 0-3 to start the season if Morgan, Autman-Bell, Winfield (x2?), and either Johnson or Bateman (can’t remember who had one of the game winning catches) didn’t all happen.

Those 3 close calls non-conference are puzzling but a W is a W.

No one fires there coach 3 games in.... I don't think.

Fleck could have gone 4-8 this year and kept his job.

What if Gophers went 0-3 in non conference? Is fleck still the coach? What would they have done in conference play?

Iowa lost 3 games all to ranked opponents by 14 total points

intersecting that Iowa State lost 5 games by 21 total points.

what other fun/crazy stats/facts do people have?

Iowa had 3 close losses, but 5 of their wins [ISU, Nebraska, Purdue, Minnesota and Illinois] were hardly wow type wins. Unless you say wow they were lucky to win most of those.

Last edited:

What if Minnesota beat Iowa and Wisconsin and we were ranked #3 in CFP Rankings?

What if the moon really is made of cheese?
What if it were made of barbecue spare ribs? Would ya eat it then?

Heck, I would... and I'd polish it off with a tall cool Budweiser.

I would do it... would you?
Capture.PNG

Top Bottom