Craig Smith salary at Utah

He only got 2 millions right, just like everyone yelled at me about
Not sure what the total values are as there are often perks and incentives above the salary. One coach above 4 million has another 1.7 in incentives . Total compensation can be complicated. Some have giant annuities, housing allowances, vacation homes, college tuition for family, use pf private plane,country club, ski passes and on and on.

Gable (and Coyle) definitely liked a particular thing about what they saw.
I don’t like to respond to this kind of stuff because it just amplifies your message - but if you weren’t equally as vocal about Richard Pitino getting the job because he has a father who cheated his way to the top then gave him his start and helped him build his career - then cut this shit out.

If Richard had turned out to be the coach we hoped he'd be, it wouldn't matter now how he ended up in that position. If Ben turns out to be a great one, we won't care that he was probably hired due to his race. We'll have to wait and see about that. But we can be honest that hiring Saunders or Musselman then would have been smarter and hiring Smith last week would have been smarter. There are reasons the program is where it's at.

If Richard had turned out to be the coach we hoped he'd be, it wouldn't matter now how he ended up in that position. If Ben turns out to be a great one, we won't care that he was probably hired due to his race. We'll have to wait and see about that. But we can be honest that hiring Saunders or Musselman then would have been smarter and hiring Smith last week would have been smarter. There are reasons the program is where it's at.
Agreed. We don’t know how this plays out but hiring Johnson wasn’t the right choice now. May end up being the greatest hire in the history of sport. But now? Not the right hire.

If Richard had turned out to be the coach we hoped he'd be, it wouldn't matter now how he ended up in that position. If Ben turns out to be a great one, we won't care that he was probably hired due to his race.
If Fleck turned out to be a winning coach, it wouldn't matter about how crazy he is with his shtick.

Well, that happened, actually.

Also: if grandma had balls, she'd be grandpa.

I don’t like to respond to this kind of stuff because it just amplifies your message - but if you weren’t equally as vocal about Richard Pitino getting the job because he has a father who cheated his way to the top then gave him his start and helped him build his career - then cut this shit out.
As some have said in the past, ignore is a great feature of the message boards. I have used it selectively and it works to filter out some of the posters that have an axe to grind with no intention of an open discussion.

Over it now. Excited that football is starting back up, looking forward to seeing what staff BJ gathers and what he is able to do with his 1st full recruiting cycle.

Musselman yes, Saunders no way in hell.

It's all over. The Gopher Men's BB program is doomed to eternal mediocrity because they didn't hire Eric Musselman.

Dan Barreiro said so, so it has to be true.

FWIW - Musselman is a good coach. Now, I'm 65. I remember Bill Musselman as the Gopher Coach and Timberwolves Coach. But, if you're 40 or younger - and if you're a 16-year-old HS BB player, Bill Musselman is a name in the history books. So this idea of bringing Eric Musselman "home" does nothing for me. But you can bet that Barreiro will be hammering on this for months, if not years.

Over it now. Excited that football is starting back up, looking forward to seeing what staff BJ gathers and what he is able to do with his 1st full recruiting cycle.
This is the attitude most should be taking to the basketball hire but we of course know that won't be the case.

At this point all we can really do is sit back and see what happens. Moaning and complaining about who wasn't hired doesn't do anyone any good.

Love it or hate it, Johnson is the coach and he should be given the opportunity to show what he can do. Maybe he succeeds, maybe he fails but the reality is that we won't know for a few years.

It's all over. The Gopher Men's BB program is doomed to eternal mediocrity because they didn't hire Eric Musselman.

FWIW - Musselman is a good coach. Now, I'm 65. I remember Bill Musselman as the Gopher Coach and Timberwolves Coach. But, if you're 40 or younger - and if you're a 16-year-old HS BB player, Bill Musselman is a name in the history books. So this idea of bringing Eric Musselman "home" does nothing for me. But you can bet that Barreiro will be hammering on this for months, if not years.
There's hours of airtime to fill.

This is the attitude most should be taking to the basketball hire but we of course know that won't be the case.

At this point all we can really do is sit back and see what happens. Moaning and complaining about who wasn't hired doesn't do anyone any good.

Love it or hate it, Johnson is the coach and he should be given the opportunity to show what he can do. Maybe he succeeds, maybe he fails but the reality is that we won't know for a few years.
I’ll remember that we can’t speculate or talk about things on this forum. I’ll make sure you don’t give your opinion or second guess anything in the football forum. We won’t know for years on anything. Maybe running off tackle on 3rd and 2 saved the world, even if you would have thrown. Won’t know for years.

I was shocked to read that Larry Krstowiak (so?) was one of the top 10 highest paid coaches in college basketball.....

Agreed. We don’t know how this plays out but hiring Johnson wasn’t the right choice now. May end up being the greatest hire in the history of sport. But now? Not the right hire.
I look at it from the opposite angle. Johnson may turn out to be a terrible coach but, at this moment in the school's history, he's the right choice. The entire top decision making structure of the athletic department is white and that's no longer an acceptable message for this university to communicate. Maybe some of the more experienced black coaches turned Coyle down or maybe Coyle liked Johnson's approach and ties to the community. Maybe it was both. Whatever it was, it was the right decision for this time.
As I've said before, Lindsay Whalen had never coached a peewee team. Richard Pitino wasn't a lead recruiter on any of the staffs where he worked and he had one year as a HC at a backwater school. He had a name and not much else. That piqued Norwood's interest. Whalen had a name, great local ties and a great history as a player. That piqued Coyle's interest. Johnson is a hard working black coach who has experience in recruiting and strong local ties. That fit enough of what Coyle wanted for him to make the hire.

I’ll remember that we can’t speculate or talk about things on this forum. I’ll make sure you don’t give your opinion or second guess anything in the football forum. We won’t know for years on anything. Maybe running off tackle on 3rd and 2 saved the world, even if you would have thrown. Won’t know for years.
I'm over the hire and wish him great success. That being said, I enjoy reading differing views. Probably going to be the case for quite some time. Heck, there were opposing views on Pitino up until the end. Second guessing sports decisions makes the forums more readable to me.

Wow.....not at all what I said......not even close.

I look at it from the opposite angle. Johnson may turn out to be a terrible coach but, at this moment in the school's history, he's the right choice. The entire top decision making structure of the athletic department is white and that's no longer an acceptable message for this university to communicate. Maybe some of the more experienced black coaches turned Coyle down or maybe Coyle liked Johnson's approach and ties to the community. Maybe it was both. Whatever it was, it was the right decision for this time.
As I've said before, Lindsay Whalen had never coached a peewee team. Richard Pitino wasn't a lead recruiter on any of the staffs where he worked and he had one year as a HC at a backwater school. He had a name and not much else. That piqued Norwood's interest. Whalen had a name, great local ties and a great history as a player. That piqued Coyle's interest. Johnson is a hard working black coach who has experience in recruiting and strong local ties. That fit enough of what Coyle wanted for him to make the hire.
I’m all for hiring a minority coach. Plenty of opportunities to do so in other sports as well. Or have administration level people who are minorities. However I don’t think hiring someone who hasn’t been at this position made sense. Whalen was a hire motivated by money as well as her name. She can learn on the job as her team doesn’t mean nearly as much to the overall athletic department.
Hiring a black guy because he is black is dumb. I have an uncle who interviewed for dozen NFL head coaching jobs under the guise of the Rooney rule. They had to interview someone of color. He knew he had no chance at most of those jobs. Never became a head coach (was an OC for a half dozen years and a position coach for 25 more) so talking to him about this is interesting. Wish Coyle and others could reach out to people with experience and knowledge on this topic from a black mans perspective.

Last edited:

Wow.....not at all what I said......not even close.
You basically said not to speculate because we won’t know for years. What is the point of this forum if that is the case?

No one is disputing pitino was a terrible hire regardless of why he was hired because he failed and was fired. Also no one is disputing that Teague was an idiot. People are not happy because this hire has similar fingerprints ie hiring someone not on the radar. Pitino was like the 7th, 8th, 10th option? Richard got hired because the AD had no plan. Difference is this time the 7th choice was somehow seemingly the first and its clear they put tremendous thought into it. If it turns into a great hire and they win even one conference title, statues all around. To say that this was the right hire even if it fails is wild when we're told ON THIS BOARD that we settle too often for mediocrity. Due to this Johnson's success WILL be directly compared to Smith, Medved (both also mn ties), and other coaches we could have hired who had objectively accomplished more as a coach.

You basically said not to speculate because we won’t know for years. What is the point of this forum if that is the case?
Yeah.....I'm not going to try and justify your complete misinterpretation of what I said.

I understand how message boards work.

So you are saying because they fucked up once they should then repeat the mistake.

Galaxy Brain take.

Your logic makes no sense....muss can coach, recruit, and loves Minnesota ...Coyle deserves to be ripped and held accountable for this malfeasance....it set gopher hoops back another decade.,

I’m all for hiring a minority coach. Plenty of opportunities to do so in other sports as well. Or have administration level people who are minorities. However I don’t think hiring someone who hasn’t been at this position made sense. Whalen was a hire motivated by money as well as her name. She can learn on the job as her team doesn’t mean nearly as much to the overall athletic department.
Hiring a black guy because he is black is dumb. I have an uncle who interviewed for dozen NFL head coaching jobs under the guise of the Rooney rule. They had to interview someone of color. He knew he had no chance at most of those jobs. Never became a head coach (was an OC for a half dozen years and a position coach for 25 more) so talking to him about this is interesting. Wish Coyle and others could reach out to people with experience and knowledge on this topic from a black mans perspective.
To evaluate someone on any race is called racism....hire the best person for the job, black, white ...who cares...BJ was not the best person Coyle could have hired. It will be proven in the next couple years. This program has been set back years because of this hire.

To evaluate someone on any race is called racism....hire the best person for the job, black, white ...who cares...BJ was not the best person Coyle could have hired. It will be proven in the next couple years. This program has been set back years because of this hire.
It's objective to say he didn't have the best resume. It's subjective to say he wasn't the best person Coyle could've hired. Trust Coyle or don't trust Coyle; believe in Johnson or don't believe in Johnson. Just don't try to turn opinion into fact because the fact has yet to be proven.

Are you trying to convince me? No one on GH has been as critical as me about this hire.

Top Bottom