Craig McDonald ...come on down ....

If McDonald has to sit out a year for NCAA rule purposes, does his scholarship count against the 2023 limit, or does begin to it count when his playing eligibility starts, in 2024? If the later, I like this as I think McDonald is actually a safety (not a nickel) and will provide veteran presence at that position after Nubin leaves for the NFL. I think the nickel position looks to be Henderson backed up by Zolman. But, if McDonald is ineligible this year but his scholarship counts against this year's limit, not sure I understand the benefit to the Gophers as we enter a really tough season.

On the other hand, if McDonald is immediately eligible, maybe he backs up both nickel and safety. Or maybe he is the rotation as a big corner, like T-Time. Who knows?

Anyway, with Tre'Von Jones and McDonald, I think our DB group already has more talent, and considerably more game experience, than it did a month ago. Maybe that is the simple answer.
If he is good enough to be valuable this year, why wouldn’t he be a value the next two years as well with Nubin gone?

It’ll provide good competition between McDonad, Henderson, and Zolman. I could see Zolman bulking up into a LB role as well.

It’ll provide good competition between McDonad, Henderson, and Zolman. I could see Zolman bulking up into a LB role as well.

Plan for Zolman is to compete at Sam LB with Gerlach as of now. If McDonald isn't eligible this year for Nickel competition, then Zolman will likely work at both.

McDonald is for the nickel spot. He will be competing with Jack Henderson for PT if he gets a waiver for this year. If he doesn't get a waiver for 2023 season, Rowan will be cross-trained at Sam and Nickel. The staff obviously feels there is enough upside and talent with McDonald to take on the risk that he may only be able to practice this year.

Safeties are Nubin and Green backed up by Coleman and Gousby
Bryson started for Michael Dixon in the bowl game and crushed it. Is that not correct??

How is he not the starter this fall at whatever that position is??

Bryson started for Michael Dixon in the bowl game and crushed it. Is that not correct??

He might be. I would think they’d want Bryson and Green on the field a lot.

The bowl game is a data point. So was the spring game where Bryson got schooled twice by Evans and missed a tackle on a Brockington TD. (He also had a nice break-up on a trick play.

It's obviously fluid as it's early May. Lots of time for growth and development.

The bowl game is a data point. So was the spring game where Bryson got schooled twice by Evans and missed a tackle on a Brockington TD. (He also had a nice break-up on a trick play.

It's obviously fluid as it's early May. Lots of time for growth and development.
True, the bowl game is basically the only action that Green and Bryson have had so far. Nubin and Walley are the only returning players that have seen much action in the secondary.

I thought that was exactly the position Bryson played and excelled at during the bowl game?

I can easily be wrong here, someone please correct me.

Otherwise, how would Bryson, Green, and Howden all be on the field at the same time?
Bryson got destroyed in the spring game. He is a step slow in my opinion. He played great on a terrible field against a terrible offensive team in Syracuse.

I’m thinking the coaches have a plan for the kid. I’m thinking the player likes it or he’d go elsewhere. We are pretty good at adding transfers who fit.

Bryson got destroyed in the spring game. He is a step slow in my opinion. He played great on a terrible field against a terrible offensive team in Syracuse.
Spring is spring, but OK fair enough.

He seems built like an outside LB, so thought the Dixon position might suit him well.

I’m thinking the coaches have a plan for the kid. I’m thinking the player likes it or he’d go elsewhere. We are pretty good at adding transfers who fit.
I was going to say -- you started the bowl game, crushed it, and then coming out of spring are a back-up? That's transfer-city written all over it.

No, Bryson started for Nubin. Howden played. Green played Dixon's position. But they like Green next to Nubin at safety for 2023.
Dixon was 6-2 210, which is what Bryson is listed at, while Green is listed as 6-1 190.

Is the position more concerned with being an extra corner to cover a slot receiver, or is it more like an outside linebacker that's a bit quicker and better at coverage but can bring the wood? I thought it was more the latter, which would seem like Bryson a better fit than Green.

You sure?

Dixon was 6-2 210, which is what Bryson is listed at, while Green is listed as 6-1 190.

Is the position more concerned with being an extra corner to cover a slot receiver, or is it more like an outside linebacker that's a bit quicker and better at coverage but can bring the wood? I thought it was more the latter, which would seem like Bryson a better fit than Green.

You sure?

Go find out lol

[email protected]

So was yours 😂

If you're actually asking. Just searched the directory. It's public. My info is there too...but doubtful anyone wants to be in contact with me 🤣🤣

So was yours 😂

If you're actually asking. Just searched the directory. It's public. My info is there too...but doubtful anyone wants to be in contact with me 🤣🤣
If we want to talk to you, we know to go to section 114 row 11 during football season!

I mean we fit Faalele in …..

You sure?
Could depend on down and distance, but Green doesn’t seem like any slouch against the run despite being a bit smaller.

If he is good enough to be valuable this year, why wouldn’t he be a value the next two years as well with Nubin gone?
Just would be a scholie unavailable for this season, a tough schedule year. That’s all. I assume he’ll see a lot of play at S, with Bryson, next year in any event.

For whatever it's worth, Bryson and Green started and played well in the bowl game against Syracuse.

Shouldn't they be the assumed starters?

Bryson was the player of the game and Green had tons of tackles.

The two misses on runs from the Spring Game those were sick moves by our up and coming runners people are making way too much of that. He’ll be fine.

Bryson played the Tyler Nubin spot in NYC.

Green played the Flip Dixon spot in NYC.

I think this:

Henderson is locked in to start in the Dixon spot this fall.

Green will start in the Howden spot this fall.

Bryson probably backs up both Nubin and Green this fall, which is nice depth.

McDonald (if eligible) backs up Henderson this fall.

There will be various "Rossi" situational sub packages that offer versatility because of the depth.

Safety/Nickel could be a position of strength for the Gophers for sure.

Last edited:

The two misses on runs from the Spring Game those were sick moves by our up and coming runners people are making way too much of that. He’ll be fine.

He had a miss on a run and a pass that went for a TD each plus a 2nd miss on a Evans run that I don't recall the outcome of. 14+ points isn't something you can just 🤷‍♂️

I'm not saying he won't develop or be a good player as I don't get hung up on single plays or games but I'm also not completely disregarding them as other teams have players that can make 'sick moves' too.

Hopefully with the returning players and transfers he can continue to develop on his own time line (we are a developmental program!)

Bryson will be a red shirt freshman in 2023. He will play PLENTY of Gopher football.
I forgot he was a true freshman last year.

Roster ( https://gophersports.com/sports/football/roster/coleman-bryson/20492 ) claims he redshirted, but then it says he played in 5 games, which is more than is allowed to redshirt. Unless they updated the rule to say that the bowl game no longer counts against the 4 game limit to redshirt. Must have, hopefully true.

So yes, four years eligibility.

Just saying, doesn't it suck to go from MVP of the bowl game, to on the bench?? Seems pretty lame.

And will have a worry in the back of your head of "they'll find a way to do that to me again next year".

EDIT: answer my own question, NCAA granted a one-time waiver last season to allow redshirts to play in the bowl game and maintain redshirt https://theathletic.com/4009430/2022/12/16/ncaa-waiver-redshirt-bowl-games/

Top Bottom