CrAB signs NIL deal with White Sox

I was sure this was the setup for a joke

I was sure this was the setup for a joke
I wasn't going to go to the White Sox game today, but now that a WR from Minnesota endorsed them, i will. I don't get it.

Sounds like a pretty cool program. This is the 2nd yr with a cross section of universities and sports. They receive mentorship, branding opportunities, financial incentives for social media posts. Would love it if the Minnesota pro sports teams started following suit.

Someone smarter than me... please explain this to me. I am happy for CrAB but I don't understand.

Sounds like a pretty cool program. This is the 2nd yr with a cross section of universities and sports. They receive mentorship, branding opportunities, financial incentives for social media posts. Would love it if the Minnesota pro sports teams started following suit.

I wonder if this is legal to do in the same sport? Could the Vikings sponsor Athan Kaliakmanis? Or Caleb Williams? Pro draft systems keep it from being totally abused, but still seems like it could be a conflict of interest?

Having pro sports franchises giving out NIL money to NCAA athletes is opening another can of worms.

Sounds like it’s almost like a mentorship of some kind, great for student athletes but whom benefits on the other end I’m not sure - possibly they represent the athlete for other NIL deals?

From a press release:

Continuing last season’s initial venture into the NIL agreement space, the CHISOX Athlete program prioritizes a student-first approach focused on financial and professional marketing opportunities that help enhance students’ unique brands and platforms. After welcoming the Class of 2022 to the ballpark for ceremonial first pitches and behind-the-scenes insights on careers across the sports industry, this season will connect even more White Sox ambassadors with top-tier branding opportunities and access to professional resources within the organization’s front office.

“I’m excited to be a part of this returning class and continue building on the relationships I’ve created within the White Sox organization,” explains Williams, who enters her senior season at Michigan. “The White Sox have helped me grow my personal and professional networks. I’m thrilled to be a part of the in-game broadcast for my hometown team and know the opportunity will help me connect with even more sports industry pros while expanding my personal brand.”

I wonder if this is legal to do in the same sport? Could the Vikings sponsor Athan Kaliakmanis? Or Caleb Williams? Pro draft systems keep it from being totally abused, but still seems like it could be a conflict of interest?

Having pro sports franchises giving out NIL money to NCAA athletes is opening another can of worms.
I hadn't thought of that, but looking at the 2022 and 2023 participants there aren't any baseball players, so maybe that was intentional for this reason.

I hadn't thought of that, but looking at the 2022 and 2023 participants there aren't any baseball players, so maybe that was intentional for this reason.
I gotta think there are league related draft rules that put some limits on contact with draft prospects...

Otherwise if say you're #2 in the draft it would be really tempting to cultivate (with money) a sort of Eli Manning situation where the player says he won't play for the #1 pick team, but wants to play for your team at #2.

I'm awaiting the first NIL deal to be signed for an opposing booster club. Disgruntled 5 star Georgia QB signs an agreement with Alabama booster club. That would be juicy.

Top Bottom