Coyle on being “mad” the Gophers aren’t in the NCAA Tournament: “If you could see the text messages to my wife.”

True...our team will be reset next year, without a chance to win. And that's how it will always be here. Unless our administration decides to enter the sleaze and starts buying players.

Yes. We should give up hope of being consistently good. We should hope for luck about every 4th year or so. Unless we enter the sleaze game.
Well, this is what has kept them where they are at for years and years.

Sleeze wins. Sorry, it sucks and it is what it is, but that has always been the only way to win in major college athletics. Especially when your school is located where the U is(blocks from scum earth) and you've been looked at as a joke for the better part of 3 decades now.

Well, this is what has kept them where they are at for years and years.

Sleeze wins. Sorry, it sucks and it is what it is, but that has always been the only way to win in major college athletics. Especially when your school is located where the U is(blocks from scum earth) and you've been looked at as a joke for the better part of 3 decades now.
scum earth?

given a choice, I would rather take above-average NIL and an average Coach ---
as opposed to an above-average Coach and average NIL.

IMHO, talent makes up for a lack of coaching better than coaching makes up for a lack of talent.

if you say "why can't we have both?" - I respond with "this is MN we are talking about."

IMHO, talent makes up for a lack of coaching better than coaching makes up for a lack of talent.

As Dean Smith said with his characteristic modesty when reflecting back on his coaching career:

"I'd call a time out and diagram a play. Now, whether the ball went in the basket, well, that's where recruiting came in."

Well the year one bar is 2-18. He better clear that....
So now you're backtracking?

Now you're saying it's okay if your new coach you're been screaming for doesn't make the NCAA ??

What happened to NO EXCUSES ?

So now you're backtracking?

Now you're saying it's okay if your new coach you're been screaming for doesn't make the NCAA ??

What happened to NO EXCUSES ?
You're being ridiculous. No one was calling for Ben to be fired after one year. If the new coach is 6-33 in the B1G after two years, yeah, it's probably not going to work out for them either. The window to show what you can do is smaller, at least you can admit that now.

Don't be ridiculous.
The U is not "blocks" from scum earth. It's over 20 miles to Wisconsin.

You're being ridiculous. No one was calling for Ben to be fired after one year. If the new coach is 6-33 in the B1G after two years, yeah, it's probably not going to work out for them either. The window to show what you can do is smaller, at least you can admit that now.
I honestly can't tell if Pilgrim (1) believes their BS, (2) is being intellectually dishonest to defend a coach they like, or (3) is a full on troll just trying to turn conversations nonsensical. Feels like even odds for any of the three.

Of course no one would say missing the tournament should be a fireable offense (though a year as bad as Johnsons year 1 should raise eyebrows). In fact, Johnsons year 3 would be a very serviceable first year for a new coach. So maybe Pilgrim is just leaning on the Seinfeld episode where George pretended to be a tourist to date some kind of city representative, and that he had just newly found his job and apartment. "If you take everything I've done my whole life, condense it into two weeks, it looks pretty good."

given a choice, I would rather take above-average NIL and an average Coach ---
as opposed to an above-average Coach and average NIL.

if you say "why can't we have both?" - I respond with "this is MN we are talking about."

Who are the average coaches who win with above average NIL?

The Gophers are also never going to have above average NIL unless they start winning, which takes an above average coach first.

I echo all the posts on here that Coyle's statement feels like a weird, extreme cognitive dissonance.

The Lord helps those who help themselves, Mark. What have YOU done to help this situation?

I echo all the posts on here that Coyle's statement feels like a weird, extreme cognitive dissonance.

The Lord helps those who help themselves, Mark. What have YOU done to help this situation?
Very, very little it appears.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Our basketball team has struggled, and the best idea our AD has is to send angry messages to his wife?

Him thinking that telling the fan base about those texts is going to somehow motivate us or inspire confidence is pretty emblematic of his PR savvy.

I was willing to try to build a team through recruiting + transfers. And still am (even though Payne is getting bribed away). I think it's our only chance to be good once every 4 years (along with pure luck ). I don't think ANY coach here can put together a good team of transfers only.

I honestly can't tell if Pilgrim (1) believes their BS, (2) is being intellectually dishonest to defend a coach they like, or (3) is a full on troll just trying to turn conversations nonsensical. Feels like even odds for any of the three.

Of course no one would say missing the tournament should be a fireable offense (though a year as bad as Johnsons year 1 should raise eyebrows). In fact, Johnsons year 3 would be a very serviceable first year for a new coach. So maybe Pilgrim is just leaning on the Seinfeld episode where George pretended to be a tourist to date some kind of city representative, and that he had just newly found his job and apartment. "If you take everything I've done my whole life, condense it into two weeks, it looks pretty good."
How is ANY coach here going to have a team in year 1 like Ben's in year 3 ?? It takes 3 years to get Payne & Christie.

Like I said, I don't think it can be done with transfers only. So I don't understand dwelling so much on Ben's first 2 years after inheriting nothing.

I was willing to try to build a team through recruiting + transfers. And still am (even though Payne is getting bribed away). I think it's our only chance to be good once every 4 years (along with pure luck ). I don't think ANY coach here can put together a good team of transfers only.

How is ANY coach here going to have a team in year 1 like Ben's in year 3 ?? It takes 3 years to get Payne & Christie.

Like I said, I don't think it can be done with transfers only. So I don't understand dwelling so much on Ben's first 2 years after inheriting nothing.
How is any coach going to finish 10th place in year one? It might not be easy but it doesn't require a miracle.

Well, we'll get to find out next year. Michigan, USC, Washington and OSU all have new HC's. All with huge turnover. I'm gonna guess at least 3 of them finish with a better record than we do, if not all of them.

Well, we'll get to find out next year. Michigan, USC, Washington and OSU all have new HC's. All with huge turnover. I'm gonna guess at least 3 of them finish with a better record than we do, if not all of them.
There's you and a couple others who's posts I read and imagine you as something resembling Rachel Dratch's character in this classic SNL skit.

There's you and a couple others who's posts I read and imagine you as something resembling Rachel Dratch's character in this classic SNL skit.

It's a prediction. If I'm wrong, so be it. What exactly is there to be positive about these days? Is it really being a Debbie downer if what I say is true or comes true?

It's a prediction. If I'm wrong, so be it. What exactly is there to be positive about these days? Is it really being a Debbie downer if what I say is true or comes true?
Good thing that happens about 1% of the time. Keep swinging though

Good thing that happens about 1% of the time. Keep swinging though

My track record was actually pretty good this year. I heard so much shit for saying San Fran wouldn't sniff the tournament and IU and MD were bad teams. I thought we could be better than Michigan and Rutgers this past season.

Full disclosure, I didn't think we would be as "good" as we were this season. So I was wrong there. But we still aren't a good team, and pretty far from it.

My track record was actually pretty good this year. I heard so much shit for saying San Fran wouldn't sniff the tournament and IU and MD were bad teams. I thought we could be better than Michigan and Rutgers this past season.

Full disclosure, I didn't think we would be as "good" as we were this season. So I was wrong there. But we still aren't a good team, and pretty far from it.

So right about so many things!

So right about so many things!

Yep, I was wrong about our B1G win total. I said that in my post. In the other thread I picked us to win 8 B1G games. Started by @Gopher_In_NYC.

Win some, lose some. If I was right all the time, I'd make millions in gambling.

Folks, our AD:

“Yeah [this tournament] has had good games to see and it’s amazing… I get mad, to be honest with you, because I [want the Gophers] to be there, as an AD. If you could see the text messages to my wife… You know, that there’s no reason why we can’t do it at Minnesota. Somehow we’ve gotta pop through and get in there. I love that competition, and the pressure, and I’m absolutely confident our kids would love that, and that’s our goal, to get there and experience that pressure.”

Go Gophers!!

coyle is a simpleton in todays world of nil ad’s

Mark Coyle is upset huh…..funny. I’ve been a gopher hoops fan for a little over 40 years, if anyone has the right to be upset it’s us fans. Seriously we can support the team, donate to the team and voice our opinions, but that’s it. We as fans can’t make any change but he can, so maybe instead of whining, grow a pair and do your job. I personally have the right to be upset I am a season ticket holder and donator and the last 25 years have been a joke. I realize that hasn’t been all Coyle but he’s not helping the cause. I’m simply tired of all the excuses. GO GOPHERS!!!!

I take it as Mr Coyle telling the public that he has the approval of the new president to do what it takes to win.

I GUARANTEE you that those new coaches couldn't win big at Minnesota in year-1 after inheriting an empty roster.

Minnesota needs recruiting as well as transfers. And luck. We're losing players...not buying them.

I GUARANTEE you that those new coaches couldn't win big at Minnesota in year-1 after inheriting an empty roster.

Minnesota needs recruiting as well as transfers. And luck. We're losing players...not buying them.

Well Washington's new coach won big at Utah State after inheriting an empty roster. But we're no Utah State.

I take it as Mr Coyle telling the public that he has the approval of the new president to do what it takes to win.
Then why would one not just come out and say that? Why would one choose to speak in riddles?

Top Bottom