Coyle Hiring Ability

I guess it depends upon your definition of beyond salvageable. It's obviously a spectrum but I just can't see the U sitting through 5 really bad years.
It depends on how embarrassing it becomes for the university. If bad is ignored in the general public, all is fine for them for many years. If it makes the university the butt of national jokes, they will act. Much more likely that the jokes come in football than basketball, but if it is an embarrassment to the university action will happen.

Unless it is beyond salvageable I think Johnson is getting at least 5 years if not a 6th season to see if this thing works out.

Not matter how the hire came about or what factors were involved Coyle is attached to Johnson. Coyle knew you make this hire and you are waiting it out as long as you can.

5 years?? Yeah, you cant make that guarantee at this point.

He shouldnt and wont be fired for anything performance related this year. But the conversation can definitely begin after year 3 if they team is still nowhere near the bubble. And absolutely should not survive a 4th if the same remains.

Loooooooong way to go though.

It depends on how embarrassing it becomes for the university. If bad is ignored in the general public, all is fine for them for many years. If it makes the university the butt of national jokes, they will act. Much more likely that the jokes come in football than basketball, but if it is an embarrassment to the university action will happen.
Yeah, the utter apathy surrounding the program might be a saving grace.

Ben gets a minimum of 4 years unless we are dead last by a mile for the first 3 seasons, even then he's probably safe. He will have every opportunity to succeed. I just hope the success is sooner rather than later.
I disagree. If this year is 0-20 or 1-19 and next year is 4-5 B1G wins, he's done. If they keep him beyond that they will have completely kill whatever is left of the season ticket/donor base. He's still the "face" of the hire. The rest of the "committee" can hide behind him.

He shouldnt and wont be fired for anything performance related this year. But the conversation can definitely begin after year 3 if they team is still nowhere near the bubble. And absolutely should not survive a 4th if the same remains.

Future recruits and present players will fire him long before the University does. It's what happened to Monson, Tubby and Pitino. You have a time frame to show success and gain momentum. Tubby had a longer timeframe with players and recruits because he had a prior record. The shorter the resume, the sooner players decide that winning isn't going to happen here.

There is nothing wrong with Ben. Great guy and he will learn on the job. You can bet that he sold the recruits that are coming on the idea that we are going to build something great here. What is the shelf life on that sales pitch? We need to be successful- in the NCAAs by next year or the pitch is dead and will be replaced by- "we have playing time in the Big Ten."

I disagree. If this year is 0-20 or 1-19 and next year is 4-5 B1G wins, he's done. If they keep him beyond that they will have completely kill whatever is left of the season ticket/donor base. He's still the "face" of the hire. The rest of the "committee" can hide behind him.
I feel like Gabel had her fingerprints all over this one and Coyle mentioned in the presser they worked together on this along with the committee? Even if Coyle is blamed externally, it won't effect Coyle's internal standing with her office. Coyle will likely need their approval to fire if it comes to that. Wins don't matter until after next season anyway according to some, so we can't really hold Ben accountable unless year 4 does not go well.

I can only help but think Pitino is somewhere smiling right now. Ben will need to win the next 3 cupcakes and 2 conference games to avoid a share of the worst record in team history. Fingers crossed that he can do it.

I feel like Gabel had her fingerprints all over this one and Coyle mentioned in the presser they worked together on this along with the committee? Even if Coyle is blamed externally, it won't effect Coyle's internal standing with her office. Coyle will likely need their approval to fire if it comes to that. Wins don't matter until after next season anyway according to some, so we can't really hold Ben accountable unless year 4 does not go well.

I can only help but think Pitino is somewhere smiling right now. Ben will need to win the next 3 cupcakes and 2 conference games to avoid a share of the worst record in team history. Fingers crossed that he can do it.
Coyle is judged by the entire athletic department but especially the $$ sports. If we're trudging to another 4-6 win season in front of 5,000 fans for B1G games in February 2024, he can't just say "wait til next year". If he does, even the diehards left here will be out.

For this year, there's not much that can salvage it. But they need to avoid 0-20 or the mockery from the local media will be brutal. 10 x worse if Pitino makes the NCAA's with New Mexico. 1/7 against Nebraska is our Super Bowl. Lose that and all bets are off.

Penn State beat #17 Illinois at Illinois by 15 so it wouldn't seem we might be favored against those two teams. Nebraska beat a ranked Creighton...not sure who we might beat? But we should be unconscious from three 1 outta 20 nights, right? Okay, 1 of 18, now.

The deliciousness of Ben being on the record holding loss team and the. Coaching a team forward that record.

I agree. Both of BJ's predecessors were fired and neither finished dead last 3 straight seasons. If BJ finishes last this year and next year, anything outside of a pink slip would be inexcusable.

If you have never experienced Gopher VB I would highly recommend it. FREAKIN AWESOME!!!

If you have never experienced Gopher VB I would highly recommend it. FREAKIN AWESOME!!!
Best value around. Even with the increase in season ticket costs. Still works out to around $12/game for me.

Yup

Clem (6 NCAA in 13 Seasons), Monson (1 NCAA Bid in 7 Years), Tubby (3 NCAA in 6 Years), Pitino (2 NCAA in 7 Years).

This is what we need a new coach to meet or exceed.
Clem does not count because he was caught cheating and brought severe sanctions down on the program.

The deliciousness of Ben being on the record holding loss team and the. Coaching a team forward that record.
To be fair, Ben's 1999-2000 NW team was 0-16 in the B1G. But the 1990-91 NW team was 0-18.

And Ben only played in 16 of NW's record 32 B1G losses in a row.

Doesn't that look a lot better?

To be fair, Ben's 1999-2000 NW team was 0-16 in the B1G. But the 1990-91 NW team was 0-18.

Wait, they played more conference games in 1990 than they did in 1999? I did not know that.

I think he will get there if he shows progress, has an opportunity to take the step next year with potentially his entire rotation coming back, minues Samuels, hopefully Fox and Ihnen staying helthy and Betts, Christie and Evans who are either composite four stars or rated a four star by one of the main services. If this year ends up similar to last year and next year is more of the same than he's not going to make it, but if we show signs of life down the stretch this year and are competitive next year, he will most definitely make it to that 5-6 year threshold

Clem does not count because he was caught cheating and brought severe sanctions down on the program.
Clem counts. I saw his teams and enjoyed most of them. Clem was a good man. What he did then, pales in comparison to what is legal now. Really the worst of it was Ganglehoff writing papers and the Bobby Jackson transcript. I don't condone it but Clem was pretty solid, he had a heart for the kids.

I think he will get there if he shows progress, has an opportunity to take the step next year with potentially his entire rotation coming back, minues Samuels, hopefully Fox and Ihnen staying helthy and Betts, Christie and Evans who are either composite four stars or rated a four star by one of the main services. If this year ends up similar to last year and next year is more of the same than he's not going to make it, but if we show signs of life down the stretch this year and are competitive next year, he will most definitely make it to that 5-6 year threshold
I am with you, IF competitive next year means making the NCAAs or being so close that we are on the edge of our seats on Selection Sunday. I agree that he will make it to year 5 or 6 though- he would hardly have to win a Big Ten game for that to happen.

Bringing the whole team back minus Samuels is not acceptable. There will have to be some pruning. Imagine the TWolves finishing last and doing nothing in the offseason. Fans would implode. This is a professional sport now with free agency and NIL. We have to make moves.

Clem counts. I saw his teams and enjoyed most of them. Clem was a good man. What he did then, pales in comparison to what is legal now. Really the worst of it was Ganglehoff writing papers and the Bobby Jackson transcript. I don't condone it but Clem was pretty solid, he had a heart for the kids.
Clem really got a raw deal when compared to guys like Pearl and Sean Miller. I’m sure it won’t take long for Will Wade to get another power 5 job either.

Nah it went from 1999 to 01. That’s Ben.

I am with you, IF competitive next year means making the NCAAs or being so close that we are on the edge of our seats on Selection Sunday. I agree that he will make it to year 5 or 6 though- he would hardly have to win a Big Ten game for that to happen.

Bringing the whole team back minus Samuels is not acceptable. There will have to be some pruning. Imagine the TWolves finishing last and doing nothing in the offseason. Fans would implode. This is a professional sport now with free agency and NIL. We have to make moves.
I agree, I do think there needs to be some roster reconstruction. I don't see a scenario where we can play winning basketball with both Battle and Garcia playing 32+ minutes a night. I think we need a multi year transfer at Point Guard, someone who can push Cooper or be on the floor with him at the same time and can potentially take it over the following year, or at least be someone that pushed a 2024 recruit. This would allow Henley, Christie and Carrington to compete with JOJ for minutes at the three and back up guard options. Then you have one of Battle or Garcia, Fox, Ihnen, Payne, Thompson and Evans, six guys still for the four and five spots, guessing Thompson a deep reserve in this scenario. Some guys won't be happy in this scenario but as CBJ says himself iron sharpens iron and we need to insert some competition into this group. It's a guards game at this level, and we don't have it in the backcourt right now

It’s kind of interesting thinking on the OP…. Others have said this before, but the Ben Johnson hire seems out of place for Coyle. Who all has he hired in the major sports?
Fleck (home run. Very hot name at the time)
Motzko (home run)
Whalen (tbd but as has been discussed lot of reasons to hire her)
Johnson (didn’t land jobs at Northern Illinois and Montana State)
Cook

Which of these things is not like the others?

I agree, I do think there needs to be some roster reconstruction. I don't see a scenario where we can play winning basketball with both Battle and Garcia playing 32+ minutes a night. I think we need a multi year transfer at Point Guard, someone who can push Cooper or be on the floor with him at the same time and can potentially take it over the following year, or at least be someone that pushed a 2024 recruit. This would allow Henley, Christie and Carrington to compete with JOJ for minutes at the three and back up guard options. Then you have one of Battle or Garcia, Fox, Ihnen, Payne, Thompson and Evans, six guys still for the four and five spots, guessing Thompson a deep reserve in this scenario. Some guys won't be happy in this scenario but as CBJ says himself iron sharpens iron and we need to insert some competition into this group. It's a guards game at this level, and we don't have it in the backcourt right now
We have a coach who wants 11 guys on his team and he wants to play 7. So good luck with
that plan happening.

We have a coach who wants 11 guys on his team and he wants to play 7. So good luck with
that plan happening.
He has 14 scholarship guys currently either on the roster or signed for next year, don't see bodies being an issue next season. Ben's played nine pretty regularly this season

Future recruits and present players will fire him long before the University does. It's what happened to Monson, Tubby and Pitino. You have a time frame to show success and gain momentum. Tubby had a longer timeframe with players and recruits because he had a prior record. The shorter the resume, the sooner players decide that winning isn't going to happen here.

There is nothing wrong with Ben. Great guy and he will learn on the job. You can bet that he sold the recruits that are coming on the idea that we are going to build something great here. What is the shelf life on that sales pitch? We need to be successful- in the NCAAs by next year or the pitch is dead and will be replaced by- "we have playing time in the Big Ten."
If this team makes the tourney next year, I'll give you $100.00. There ain't no way.

Top Bottom