Coyle Hiring Ability

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
He just went and got the Washington Volleyball coach who took Washington to the final four last year. Seems if the basketball coaches that had local ties don't pan out, he will be able to have some $$ to make better hires.

Women's volleyball is a legit top 10 program in the nation. It absolutely makes sense that Coyle has the green light to go out and hire the best in the country that are willing to come over and continue the good work laid by Hebert and McCutcheon.

I don't think you can compare this to our men's bball program, in really any way?

Also in the PAC, even those top vball coaches were paid considerably less than McCutcheon was being paid here.

And now we have the big TV dollars coming in shortly.

Women's volleyball is a legit top 10 program in the nation. It absolutely makes sense that Coyle has the green light to go out and hire the best in the country that are willing to come over and continue the good work laid by Hebert and McCutcheon.

I don't think you can compare this to our men's bball program, in really any way?
Did Souhan write an article regarding the diversity history of our Volleyball coaches? If not, someone should be demanding answers : ) Do better Souhan

Also, of course, NIL is not a major player in women's college volleyball recruiting. Even to the extent that it actually is, we probably still do OK for our ladies.

There isn't a ton of professional opportunities in the US to play after college. The best places are in Europe, and then of course the dream of playing for the national team one day.

A coach that helps build up recruits towards those goals is probably still priorities 1a and 1b to girl's volleyball recruits, along with a top priority of being able to win a natty at the school.

It's probably fair to assume that Coyle did not have exclusive say on the Men's basketball hire this time. But he better get the next one right if it comes open.
We know Coyle can identify coaching talent, I refuse to believe basketball is his only weakness. Having said that, he never really had to worry about that sport in his days at Syracuse.

He just went and got the Washington Volleyball coach who took Washington to the final four last year. Seems if the basketball coaches that had local ties don't pan out, he will be able to have some $$ to make better hires.

I think he's certainly gambled with both hoops hire's, I get it with Whalen if he strikes gold there,Women's hoop is no longer the biggest red number in revenue loss. I understood the logic to hiring Coach Ben, but I think there were candidates who wound up with a smaller salary elsewhere and some that wouldn't costed much more that we could have gotten, will see where we are at in 2025 with that one. Overall Coyle brought in Motzko, but that was more the hockey community telling him what to do. I was surprised when he promoted from within for wrestling after the pill popping scandal, but that worked out. Obviously Fleck fresh off a Cotton Bowl appearance was fantastic. Be interesting what happens with Baseball when 14 hangs his spikes up

This ticks me off. We go out and get the best for Volleyball and we bottom feed for a revenue sport like basketball. This is classic U of M where national cheerleading titles just come at us in droves.

This ticks me off. We go out and get the best for Volleyball and we bottom feed for a revenue sport like basketball. This is classic U of M where national cheerleading titles just come at us in droves.
The fact that we are clearly a top ten volleyball program in the country makes the applicant pool much more substantial than for poor historically revenue sports. Not happy about low balling revenue sports, but this isn’t an accurate comparison. Lots of outstanding volleyball coaches wanted this job. We can’t say that about basketball.

Dance line!

The fact that we are clearly a top ten volleyball program in the country makes the applicant pool much more substantial than for poor historically revenue sports. Not happy about low balling revenue sports, but this isn’t an accurate comparison. Lots of outstanding volleyball coaches wanted this job. We can’t say that about basketball.
Fair enough. So you are saying that it isn't coming to the tundra that is stopping people, its that we are a perennial failure at basketball. That's probably true. That's probably why you break the chain with a big time hire, not with a guy with zero experience. I like Ben but his odds are long, even if he is good.

Fair enough. So you are saying that it isn't coming to the tundra that is stopping people, its that we are a perennial failure at basketball. That's probably true. That's probably why you break the chain with a big time hire, not with a guy with zero experience. I like Ben but his odds are long, even if he is good.
Perhaps the most discouraging thing is that the conference gets better and better, making the job harder to do. I’ll go out on a limb and say the spring portal is make or break for Ben’s career as a power 5 coach.

Clem (6 NCAA in 13 Seasons), Monson (1 NCAA Bid in 7 Years), Tubby (3 NCAA in 6 Years), Pitino (2 NCAA in 7 Years).

This is what we need a new coach to meet or exceed.

Perhaps the most discouraging thing is that the conference gets better and better, making the job harder to do. I’ll go out on a limb and say the spring portal is make or break for Ben’s career as a power 5 coach.
There can't be too many jobs that pay more than the U with more realistic expectations.

You can't be historically bad for multiple seasons but if Ben would have built just an OK team (maybe a team that flirted with the NIT) this year following last year, he'd still have tons of job security going into year 3. He'd probably still have so much job security that year 3 wouldn't be "make it or break it" for him.

I don't know if there are 5 jobs in America that would pay as much as MN with more realistic expectations.

There can't be too many jobs that pay more than the U with more realistic expectations.

You can't be historically bad for multiple seasons but if Ben would have built just an OK team (maybe a team that flirted with the NIT) this year following last year, he'd still have tons of job security going into year 3. He'd probably still have so much job security that year 3 wouldn't be "make it or break it" for him.

I don't know if there are 5 jobs in America that would pay as much as MN with more realistic expectations.
Ben gets a minimum of 4 years unless we are dead last by a mile for the first 3 seasons, even then he's probably safe. He will have every opportunity to succeed. I just hope the success is sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Ben gets a minimum of 4 years unless we are dead last by a mile for the first 3 seasons, even then he's probably safe. He will have every opportunity to succeed. I just hope it is sooner rather than later.
If there aren't glimmers next season, I think it starts get dicey. I don't know if he gets year 4 if we are 13-47 in the Big 10 in his first three seasons.

If there aren't glimmers next season, I think it starts get dicey. I don't know if he gets year 4 if we are 13-47 in the Big 10 in his first three seasons.
Remember this is not just Coyle saving face, this is an entire search committee. I think he gets 4 seasons on that fact alone.

Remember this is not just Coyle saving face, this is an entire search committee. I think he gets 4 seasons on that fact alone.
I don't think the committee that picked Johnson gives a crap about basketball. In my opinion, because academia is full of backstabbing weasels, if anyone gets blamed for Johnson's failures (if he fails), it'll be Coyle. Don't worry, they'll be there if Ben is successful.

I think a year from now, if we are still this bad, those types might be on to ruining something else and let Coyle pick his basketball coach.

I don't think the committee that picked Johnson gives a crap about basketball. In my opinion, because academia is full of backstabbing weasels, if anyone gets blamed for Johnson's failures (if he fails), it'll be Coyle. Don't worry, they'll be there if Ben is successful.

I think a year from now, if we are still this bad, those types might be on to ruining something else and let Coyle pick his basketball coach.
The fact that they don't care about basketball is probably why Johnson will get more time than he deserves if they continue to be biblically bad. Just my opinion.

The fact that they don't care about basketball is probably why Johnson will get more time than he deserves if they continue to be biblically bad. Just my opinion.
Yeah, it's really hard to tell what they'd do. Your guess is as good as mine. Hopefully, Ben turns it around and we never find out :).

Unless it is beyond salvageable I think Johnson is getting at least 5 years if not a 6th season to see if this thing works out.

Not matter how the hire came about or what factors were involved Coyle is attached to Johnson. Coyle knew you make this hire and you are waiting it out as long as you can.

Unless it is beyond salvageable I think Johnson is getting at least 5 years if not a 6th season to see if this thing works out.

Not matter how the hire came about or what factors were involved Coyle is attached to Johnson. Coyle knew you make this hire and you are waiting it out as long as you can.
I guess it depends upon your definition of beyond salvageable. It's obviously a spectrum but I just can't see the U sitting through 5 really bad years.

Top Bottom