Coyle has hired two coaches...

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
Dino Babers was hired by Coyle at Syracuse. In his one season, this year, he went 4-8, his team giving up 62, 45, 50, 54, 45 and 76 points in various games. His other hire, at Boise State, was Bryan Harsin, who was OC under Chris Petersen when Boise was undefeated in 2006 and he had a 61-5 record overall as OC there. As head coach his record has been 12-2, 9-4, and 10-3.

Coyle would have been lucky to hire Tracy C at Syracuse.

Coyle is way underwater now, and the only way he survives is if he gets lucky.

Going form 9-4 to 4-8 is going to be tough sell. Great job K and C. !!!!!! Season tickets????

Coyle would have been lucky to hire Tracy C at Syracuse.

Coyle is way underwater now, and the only way he survives is if he gets lucky.

Going form 9-4 to 4-8 is going to be tough sell. Great job K and C. !!!!!! Season tickets????

Season tickets, recruiting, sex scandal.

Season tickets, recruiting, sex scandal.

Thanks to:
Season ticket gouging
Lack of long term contract
18-21 yo hormones with alcohol and inability to police kids 24/7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recruiting had nothing to do with a contract it had to with charisma and ability to wow recruits.

Ask any coach- hard to combat negative recruiting which raises questions about a coach's longevity.

Dino Babers was hired by Coyle at Syracuse. In his one season, this year, he went 4-8, his team giving up 62, 45, 50, 54, 45 and 76 points in various games. His other hire, at Boise State, was Bryan Harsin, who was OC under Chris Petersen when Boise was undefeated in 2006 and he had a 61-5 record overall as OC there. As head coach his record has been 12-2, 9-4, and 10-3.

True fact. 5 losses as OC of Boise St. over 5 years when they were coached by the guy now at Washington that made the FBS playoffs this year.

9 losses in 3 years as HC of Boise St. So you can argue that they are much worse than they were when he was OC.

psst...he was also co-offensive coordinator for Texas in 2011-2012 when they went 8-5 and 9-4.

Dino Babers took over a squad that was 3-9 and 4-8 before he took over, and stayed at 4-8 this year, in his first year there. I'm not passing any judgement on the abilities of either coach, but your comparison is as slanted as my "analysis".

True fact. 5 losses as OC of Boise St. over 5 years when they were coached by the guy now at Washington that made the FBS playoffs this year.

9 losses in 3 years as HC of Boise St. So you can argue that they are much worse than they were when he was OC.

psst...he was also co-offensive coordinator for Texas in 2011-2012 when they went 8-5 and 9-4.

Dino Babers took over a squad that was 3-9 and 4-8 before he took over, and stayed at 4-8 this year, in his first year there. I'm not passing any judgement on the abilities of either coach, but your comparison is as slanted as my "analysis".

I'd point out that Boise left the WAC to join the Mountain West in 2011. Still a Group of 5 conference, but the new Mountain West is definitely tougher than the old WAC.

Compare Petersen's final 3 years at Boise to Harsin's first 3 years at Boise (all six years in the Mountain West):

Petersen 2011-13: 31-7 overall, 2-0 in bowls (left before bowl game his final year), and one conference title.

Harsin 2014-16: 31-9 overall, 2-1 in bowls (including Fiesta Bowl win), and one conference title.

I'm not saying Harsin is as good of a coach as Petersen, but I am saying those records look pretty comparable to me. Harsin's resume is pretty darn impressive. Personally I would take him over Fleck. He developed some really good QBs which I would love to see happen at the U. In 15 years of coaching college football Harsin has never missed qualifying for a bowl game.

I'd add that I think it's too early to pass any kind of judgement on Babers.

Not trying to pick a fight at all, just wanted to make a few points about Harsin.

You people are out of your minds. You all act like Minnesota has been the football epicenter for the last century.Hello??? Minnesota isn't relevant in any national discussion. Your not going be relevant unless you get a coach in here with the drive to do it. Stop trying to justify what those kids did that night. They released the text messages and it's disgusting how they acted. Imagine that's your daughter involved. It's disgusting reading how some will try to justify it. I'm not trying to say those football players didn't have an opportunity to talk for themselves, because they didn't, but stop trying to justify the actions.
Why would Harsin leave Boise to come here? Dude has it made in the shade out there. Plus, they have a winning tradition. Something we are still trying to create. Sumlin isn't leaving Texas A&M to try and recruit to Minnesota. Give me a break. Bohl is our guy. He whooped our asses a couple times and knows how to recruit the area and develop kids. Gotta hope a coach from a smaller program can come in here and create a tradition, because right now this program is at the bottom of barrel in the big 10.

You people are out of your minds. You all act like Minnesota has been the football epicenter for the last century.Hello??? Minnesota isn't relevant in any national discussion. Your not going be relevant unless you get a coach in here with the drive to do it. Stop trying to justify what those kids did that night. They released the text messages and it's disgusting how they acted. Imagine that's your daughter involved. It's disgusting reading how some will try to justify it. I'm not trying to say those football players didn't have an opportunity to talk for themselves, because they didn't, but stop trying to justify the actions.
Why would Harsin leave Boise to come here? Dude has it made in the shade out there. Plus, they have a winning tradition. Something we are still trying to create. Sumlin isn't leaving Texas A&M to try and recruit to Minnesota. Give me a break. Bohl is our guy. He whooped our asses a couple times and knows how to recruit the area and develop kids. Gotta hope a coach from a smaller program can come in here and create a tradition, because right now this program is at the bottom of barrel in the big 10.

I agree with everything you wrote except Bohl. UMN is not going to buy him out. They do not have the money and do not want the blowback of dealing with that buyout. Their is no backbone here.

Bohl has a $6.5M buyout. It's not worth paying that much just to get him out of his old contract. I'd rather use that money to throw an extra million a year at Sumlin to entice him to come. He probably won't, but the money would be better spent that way. And Harsin would at least listen. Boise is never going to pay him at a B1G level. If he and his family are happy in Boise he can certainly stay there. Would be understandable for a hometown kid. But I guarantee he wouldn't hang up the phone when he heard he had a chance at Power 5 job that would at least double his salary. He'd at least listen. And he has worked for Coyle before so there is familiarity there.

And it is ridiculous to call this a "bottom of the barrel" B1G ten job when we just went 9-4. Have you heard of Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, and Purdue? How has Illinois been the past 8 years or so? This is a mid-tier B1G job. Recent tradition may be lacking compared to some B1G schools, but certainly not all.

Bohl has a $6.5M buyout. It's not worth paying that much just to get him out of his old contract. I'd rather use that money to throw an extra million a year at Sumlin to entice him to come. He probably won't, but the money would be better spent that way. And Harsin would at least listen. Boise is never going to pay him at a B1G level. If he and his family are happy in Boise he can certainly stay there. Would be understandable for a hometown kid. But I guarantee he wouldn't hang up the phone when he heard he had a chance at Power 5 job that would at least double his salary. He'd at least listen. And he has worked for Coyle before so there is familiarity there.

And it is ridiculous to call this a "bottom of the barrel" B1G ten job when we just went 9

Sumlin makes 5 -6 Million a year. You are going to need more than an extra million. More like and extra 2 -3 million. That's not happening.

And it is ridiculous to call this a "bottom of the barrel" B1G ten job when we just went 9

Sumlin makes 5 -6 Million a year. You are going to need more than an extra million. More like and extra 2 -3 million. That's not happening.

Did you miss the part where I said he probably won't? I do know he's on the hot seat at A&M and may not be in that $5M a year job for much longer. His buyout just went way down too. (And he is now allowed to leave without paying a buyout to the school.) Dean Johnson said we were looking to pay a coach in the range of 2-4M. Take the upper limit there and tack on 500k a year since we wouldn't owe A&M anything. He wouldn't be stupid to consider a 5 yr/$22.5M deal for a fresh start here vs a $5M a year job that he will probably lose if he doesn't win at least 10 games next year. Probably won't do it, but might think about it. His wife is from here so I'm sure she wouldn't mind.

Recruiting had nothing to do with a contract it had to with charisma and ability to wow recruits.

He was able to. There is more talent in our program right now than at just about anytime in my life.

I am not one of those people who is going to say recruiting rankings aren't accurate predictors, they are. However, at the end of the day, why would anyone care about anything other than the amount of talent in the program. We had talent to compete with Penn State and Wisconsin, those are elite teams this year.

We had talent. We had a young team. The recruiting argument is just bizarre to me. It feels like an obsession for some people.

Oh, and does anyone think the regents or even Coyle understand how the team rankings on recruiting sites are calculated? Like we were set to have a small class (it'll be huge now), so you recruit less people. You're pickier. And number of recruits is important in the tally.

Jerry Kill took a 3-9 MN team and made them a 3-9 team who lost gave up 58 and gave up over 40 three other times. Babers also beat a 10-4 Virginia Tech team in year #1.

Did you miss the part where I said he probably won't? I do know he's on the hot seat at A&M and may not be in that $5M a year job for much longer. His buyout just went way down too. (And he is now allowed to leave without paying a buyout to the school.) Dean Johnson said we were looking to pay a coach in the range of 2-4M. Take the upper limit there and tack on 500k a year since we wouldn't owe A&M anything. He wouldn't be stupid to consider a 5 yr/$22.5M deal for a fresh start here vs a $5M a year job that he will probably lose if he doesn't win at least 10 games next year. Probably won't do it, but might think about it. His wife is from here so I'm sure she wouldn't mind.

The Sumlin situation would be like a Tubby Smith situation. Tubby didn't really leave Kentucky for MN. Like, he didn't choose MN, he saw the writing on the wall and made a move. In this theory, Sumlin would get out before he gets fired. Maybe there is a big push at A&M for Chip Kelly?

I doubt Sumlin is a possibility, but it's not comparing Texas A&M to U of MN.

Jerry Kill took a 3-9 MN team and made them a 3-9 team who lost gave up 58 and gave up over 40 three other times. Babers also beat a 10-4 Virginia Tech team in year #1.

Well yeah, but Kill turned the program around. Maybe their first years were similar, but let's compare how their subsequent years go.

He was able to. There is more talent in our program right now than at just about anytime in my life.

I am not one of those people who is going to say recruiting rankings aren't accurate predictors, they are. However, at the end of the day, why would anyone care about anything other than the amount of talent in the program. We had talent to compete with Penn State and Wisconsin, those are elite teams this year.

We had talent. We had a young team. The recruiting argument is just bizarre to me. It feels like an obsession for some people.

Oh, and does anyone think the regents or even Coyle understand how the team rankings on recruiting sites are calculated? Like we were set to have a small class (it'll be huge now), so you recruit less people. You're pickier. And number of recruits is important in the tally.

I agree with that. I don't think Coyle or any of the BOR should have started talking about recruiting. Not a road they want to go down. I'm not saying I understand everything about recruiting rankings, but I do know that you are 100% correct that the size of the class matters in the rankings. I also can't stand when people talk about recruiting class rankings before National Signing Day. So many of the big-time recruits wait until the last minute to commit and that can cause a huge swing in class rankings. The only time anyone should look at class rankings as a potential indicator is after all the letters are faxed in. And even then they don't mean everything.

Well yeah, but Kill turned the program around. Maybe their first years were similar, but let's compare how their subsequent years go.

I'll get back to you in 5 years.

I agree with that. I don't think Coyle or any of the BOR should have started talking about recruiting. Not a road they want to go down. I'm not saying I understand everything about recruiting rankings, but I do know that you are 100% correct that the size of the class matters in the rankings. I also can't stand when people talk about recruiting class rankings before National Signing Day. So many of the big-time recruits wait until the last minute to commit and that can cause a huge swing in class rankings. The only time anyone should look at class rankings as a potential indicator is after all the letters are faxed in. And even then they don't mean everything.

Coyle was very calculated in his comments. He's appealing to the fans that aren't coming to games. Blown leads, recruiting, off field issues. Now if academics go backward, that's a different issue.

I agree he could have said less, but he wanted to let people know, he hears their concerns.

The Sumlin situation would be like a Tubby Smith situation. Tubby didn't really leave Kentucky for MN. Like, he didn't choose MN, he saw the writing on the wall and made a move. In this theory, Sumlin would get out before he gets fired. Maybe there is a big push at A&M for Chip Kelly?

I doubt Sumlin is a possibility, but it's not comparing Texas A&M to U of MN.

Oh I don't disagree. But I also think Tubby wasn't all bad. There were some good years and he had the Barn at capacity many times. He brought immediate credibility, and Sumlin would do the same. (Just for the record, I don't at all think Sumlin is coming here. I'm just pointing out that if you look at it the way I presented it it's not completely crazy. I can see why his name was thrown around by a few.)

Coyle was very calculated in his comments. He's appealing to the fans that aren't coming to games. Blown leads, recruiting, off field issues. Now if academics go backward, that's a different issue.

I agree he could have said less, but he wanted to let people know, he hears their concerns.

I thought bringing up the blown second half leads was completely fair. We were winning in the second half of every game we lost. That was very frustrating for fans. Especially when a couple of those games were against rivals. Totally valid on-the-field criticism. To any of the coaches who didn't appreciate the reminder of those blown leads I'd say win a couple of them and then you won't have to hear about it.

Pretty sure that was the point. The OP is trying to make it seem like Barbers was a failure at Syracuse when most realize you can't make that kind of call after just one year.

Pretty sure that was the point. The OP is trying to make it seem like Barbers was a failure at Syracuse when most realize you can't make that kind of call after just one year.

Maybe, I just read it as Coyle has no track record of success with hiring coaches. As you've pointed out, Barbers can't be considered a failure yet, but he certainly can't be considered a success either.

Maybe, I just read it as Coyle has no track record of success with hiring coaches. As you've pointed out, Barbers can't be considered a failure yet, but he certainly can't be considered a success either.

As someone who follows Syracuse sports closely, I can tell you that Cuse fans are very happy with Babers. The Cuse season was 4-8 due to a switch to a wide open offense and the cupboard being left pretty bare from previous staff. Also losing stating QB due to injury later in the season hurt. Syracuse fans are still mad at the way Coyle left town and are comfortable knowing Coyle won't be taking Babers to MN due to Babers being furious with Coyle for not telling him he left for MN.

Syracuse fans are still mad at the way Coyle left town and are comfortable knowing Coyle won't be taking Babers to MN due to Babers being furious with Coyle for not telling him he left for MN.

Sounds like Coyle is not very good at communicating with his football coaches...

As someone who follows Syracuse sports closely, I can tell you that Cuse fans are very happy with Babers. The Cuse season was 4-8 due to a switch to a wide open offense and the cupboard being left pretty bare from previous staff. Also losing stating QB due to injury later in the season hurt. Syracuse fans are still mad at the way Coyle left town and are comfortable knowing Coyle won't be taking Babers to MN due to Babers being furious with Coyle for not telling him he left for MN.

IIRC Babers had a pretty solid resume, albeit minimal D1 HC experience when he was hired. I remember most CFB analysts thought Syracuse made a pretty smart hire. Harsin has worked out pretty well for Boise too. Still lots of story left to tell with both hires though.

Just like everyone else here, you have no idea what Harsin's ultimate goal is as a coach. Maybe he wants to coach at the highest level in a top conference. I doubt we hire him but I think it is worth trying.

I thought bringing up the blown second half leads was completely fair. We were winning in the second half of every game we lost. That was very frustrating for fans. Especially when a couple of those games were against rivals. Totally valid on-the-field criticism. To any of the coaches who didn't appreciate the reminder of those blown leads I'd say win a couple of them and then you won't have to hear about it.

We also won several games in which we were losing in the second half. Teams that aren't yet elite are going to have many of these outcomes each year. The reality is that Coyle was using the easily played and widely accepted misconception that this was a one-way street in our case (going from a win to a loss) to partially validate his decision. Unfortunately many of you rubes buy into it.

Top Bottom