Couple ?? for those who were at or watched the game

JMGIII

Reaction score
I was working on a project due in the morning and unable to go, watch, or listen to the game.....

1. 17 offensive rebound and only a 6 point win. Please explain
2. Did the Gophers really forget Anthony Tucker could play at a high level?

Thanks in advance.

1) MMMMMMMMMMMbakwe cannot go 5-12 from the line. Even if he does get a double double.

2) Mo Walker cannot be in the game late (or go 2-5 from the line). Nor can Maverick.

3) Devoe Joseph needs to play.

4) I was surprised to see Tucker as high scorer for WSU - he was the only strong player not in foul trouble. A late game turn-over by Tucker was the nail in the coffin.

5) This is an exhibition game. Tubby utilized it. I frankly was not ever concerned.

I was working on a project due in the morning and unable to go, watch, or listen to the game.....

1. 17 offensive rebound and only a 6 point win. Please explain
2. Did the Gophers really forget Anthony Tucker could play at a high level?

Thanks in advance.

Gophers couldn't finish. They'd get turnovers and be unable to convert and they'd get offensive boards and miss the put back or get fouled and miss the free throws. IMO, free throws were the real story. If they make them, Winona State is taken out of the game early and it isn't close. WSU had about 20 fouls in the first half and gophers were in the bonus after about 5 minutes in the 1st.

Gophers seemed to forget anyone on WSU had actually picked up a basketball before today. They came out with little energy and little urgency. They looked half asleep to start the game. Blake guarded Tucker most of the night (Not sure why Al didn't ...) but Tucker made some great plays even with solid defense. Gophers played him fairly well (definitely could have been much better tho) without ever double teaming, he made some very nice plays though.

1) MMMMMMMMMMMbakwe cannot go 5-12 from the line. Even if he does get a double double.

2) Mo Walker cannot be in the game late (or go 2-5 from the line). Nor can Maverick.

3) Devoe Joseph needs to play.

4) I was surprised to see Tucker as high scorer for WSU - he was the only strong player not in foul trouble. A late game turn-over by Tucker was the nail in the coffin.

5) This is an exhibition game. Tubby utilized it. I frankly was not ever concerned.

1) Absolutely, Colton and Mbakwe's free throw misses were huge

2) I thought Mo and Mav actually looked decent out there, but you're right ... Mo missed two big free throws and he is a fairly good FT shooter I believe

3) Absolutely

Missed free throws is most of the answer. Poor offensive decision making and poor defensive position. The rebounding was impressive. Another negative was too many lob passes to bigs that went right to the defense. The Gophers were up 18 and gave up three consecutive threes in about a minute stretch. That stretch turned the game from a reasonable win to a dog fight in the last few minutes.

Tubby had the 2nd line in down the stretch, so don't get concerned. That won't happen in a real game.

But, the free throw shooting is a HUGE concern. If the big guys can't sink free throws, this will keep the opposition in games to the end. And it was all the bigs. It will matter. We had nearly 50 free throws and missed an a$$load.

We were something like 2 for 13 from beyond the arc. Winona was much better shooting the 3's.

I don't know how Mbakwe doesn't start when it counts. He takes up a lot of space and is all over the boards. Seems to have a little of the intimidation factor. I would be happy to swap him and Iverson in the line up.

FT's are a concern. 28-46...how many were front ends of 1 & 1's? Real lack of energy tonight. Monday, the time change, star alignment...WHATEVER, they can't have this in the next outing.

My best guess... because its a frickin exhibition.

Was at the game yesterday and Gophers have to shoot better than whatever the did last night because it was awful, might have been the worst i have seen in the past couple years. Also Jon Walburg had a fantastic shooting game keeping the Warriors in it during the 2nd half.

Missed free throws is most of the answer. Poor offensive decision making and poor defensive position. The rebounding was impressive. Another negative was too many lob passes to bigs that went right to the defense. The Gophers were up 18 and gave up three consecutive threes in about a minute stretch. That stretch turned the game from a reasonable win to a dog fight in the last few minutes.

i agree that the team needs work feeding the low post... the passes came too late.. they need to hit the low block after a first look... not after the 'second' look when the D is better positioned.

Another negative was too many lob passes to bigs that went right to the defense.

I wasn't very worried about those last night. Clearly it was something they were working on and well obviously needs a bit more work.

I don't know how Mbakwe doesn't start when it counts. He takes up a lot of space and is all over the boards. Seems to have a little of the intimidation factor. I would be happy to swap him and Iverson in the line up.

FT's are a concern. 28-46...how many were front ends of 1 & 1's? Real lack of energy tonight. Monday, the time change, star alignment...WHATEVER, they can't have this in the next outing.

Mbakwe can leap but he also seems to have a nose for the rebounds.. he didn't always sky for them... he just seemed to always be in the right place at the right time.. made it look easy... another plus is he can come out and guard a 3... seems like he was the one who shut down the WS shooter who hit those late 3's.

tubby will let RS3 or Colton play their way out of the lineup. god Colton makes the low block look difficult... he always wants to turn right from the block when a quick drop step to his left would produce an easy kiss off glass. Mo actually looked the best in the low block ( in first half ).

How about 23 turnovers. That's a huge reason for the close game. Another year of experience and we still can't take care of the ball.

rodney had that two handed dunk rejected.... was that the same kid who hit those late 3's? wow.

rodney had that two handed dunk rejected.... was that the same kid who hit those late 3's? wow.

Our offense looked terrible. No scheme whatsoever. This lead to the forced lobs and other bad decisions. Everything is either lob it in or go one on one.

That would be Jon Walburg, Winona States 6th man.

Also Ralph didnt play very well and it was evident when he airballed a dunk.

Our offense looked terrible. No scheme whatsoever. This lead to the forced lobs and other bad decisions. Everything is either lob it in or go one on one.

you can see better flow on offense at the Y with five random guys..

not sure if tubby makes it too complicated or if they were just playing not to lose..

bright spot was trevor... played with intensity and confidence.

hollins also looked good... he's very long but needs some meat on his bones... but he can handle the ball.. tubby had him in there during cruch time. one of the better plays of the nite was when he split the two defenders and cut to the FT line and hit a 15 footer.

Al was his normal self with the steals.. but had too many turnovers..

we missed Devoe's all around game.

biggest upside is Hollins.. could be the mid-range scorer we need.

Agreed. We have a scheme but it's a scheme in which no more than two players are moving at the same time. It's very frustrating to watch. Every time a pass is made, the reciever of the pass pauses and holds the ball for a second, then decides what to do. Absolutely no flow. The guys look so unnatural running it. This team needs to just sit an watch a well coached high school team run the flex over and over to see how an offensive set is properly executed. None of these guys have ever been in an offfense that didn't rely heavily on one or two guys taking it to the hoop one-on-one and it shows. Unfortunately this has been the issue with our team since Tubby has been here so I don't see it getting any better as the year goes along.

you can see better flow on offense at the Y with five random guys..

not sure if tubby makes it too complicated or if they were just playing not to lose..

bright spot was trevor... played with intensity and confidence.

hollins also looked good... he's very long but needs some meat on his bones... but he can handle the ball.. tubby had him in there during cruch time. one of the better plays of the nite was when he split the two defenders and cut to the FT line and hit a 15 footer.

Al was his normal self with the steals.. but had too many turnovers..

we missed Devoe's all around game.

biggest upside is Hollins.. could be the mid-range scorer we need.

Hollins was pretty good last night. When i saw him split the D on a pick my friend asked me what year he was and i said freshman and was in shock. He should be a good one especially with those handles

The motion offense was clicking in the first exhibition with the size differential in the post. Everything works through the post in Tubby's offense. Winona was double teaming and fouling almost every posession in the lane last night. If they hit free throws and any outside or midrange shots last night, that game would not have been close.

More concerning to me was the defense last night. On cold shooting nights, the Gophers' need to rely on stingy defense.

Thanks for all the replies. I was not really concerned. PT numbers were up for a lot of non starters, so I figured that had something to do with it. 3-pt shooting was way down @ 15% - another indicator & Devoe 0 PT. Can't wait for the next one.

Go Gophers!

How about 23 turnovers. That's a huge reason for the close game. Another year of experience and we still can't take care of the ball.

10 of the turnovers were by newcomers to our squad, including 5 by Walker.

Winona St. is a well coached team with many players not quite athletic enough for division 1, but who are highly skilled. I knew it would be a close game. Until the gophers can execute in the half court they will not be a top 5 big ten team. Anyone can play in transition. It would help to have a second shooter on the court in Devoe. Hollins needs more pt also. He looks a little like rip hamilton to me. If only he could score like him! Rodney drove one time and scored. It's hard to watch someone so talented and so timid. In practice I would make them run anytime he or Sampson doesnt take it up aggressively. These two have the talent to make some money but they have to be hungry for it.

Top Bottom