Countdown To Kickoff 2022: Ohio State Shocks Minnesota, 41-37

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Lind:

With that said, let's continue the countdown...

Ohio State 41, Minnesota 37 - Oct. 28, 1989​

Ohio State became just the second team in college football history to win a game after trailing by 31 or more points with a 41-37 victory at Minnesota in 1989.

The Golden Gophers led 31-0 with 4:29 remaining in the first half, as quarterback Greg Frey turned the ball over three times (two fumbles and one interception). Combine that with a fumble on a punt return and the Buckeyes’ mistakes led directly to 24 points for the home team.

Momentum shifted right before intermission, though, as Frey drove the offense down the field for its first score of the game. After running back Carlos Snow punched it in from one yard out, Frey found wide receiver Jeff Graham for a two-point conversion to cut it to 31-8.

After kicking a field goal on the opening drive of the third quarter, Snow caught a 15-yard touchdown pass from Frey to bring Ohio State within 13 points. Minnesota expanded its lead with a field goal early in the fourth quarter before Snow hauled in a 27-yard touchdown pass.

After a successful two-point conversion, the Golden Gophers kicked another field goal to go up 37-26 with just over five minutes left. The Buckeyes then made it a three-point game with 3:04 remaining on a one-yard run by Frey, as well as another successful conversion.

After the defense forced a three-and-out on the most important series of the game, Frey engineered a five-play, 73-yard drive, capped off by the 15-yarder to Graham with 51 seconds on the clock.

“Things like this, they can’t happen,” Graham said afterward. “People call it luck. People call it a miracle. That’s OK. I believe in luck and miracles.”

Frey finished the game with 362 yards and three touchdowns passing, with Graham hauling in six receptions for 106 yards and the game-winner. Snow, meanwhile, racked up 278 all-purpose yards and three scores.

“It definitely was a great comeback – had to be the greatest,” Snow said. “It certainly was the greatest game I’ve ever been a part of. I’m proud to have been in it.”

Go Gophers!!

per Lind:

With that said, let's continue the countdown...

Ohio State 41, Minnesota 37 - Oct. 28, 1989​

Ohio State became just the second team in college football history to win a game after trailing by 31 or more points with a 41-37 victory at Minnesota in 1989.

The Golden Gophers led 31-0 with 4:29 remaining in the first half, as quarterback Greg Frey turned the ball over three times (two fumbles and one interception). Combine that with a fumble on a punt return and the Buckeyes’ mistakes led directly to 24 points for the home team.

Momentum shifted right before intermission, though, as Frey drove the offense down the field for its first score of the game. After running back Carlos Snow punched it in from one yard out, Frey found wide receiver Jeff Graham for a two-point conversion to cut it to 31-8.

After kicking a field goal on the opening drive of the third quarter, Snow caught a 15-yard touchdown pass from Frey to bring Ohio State within 13 points. Minnesota expanded its lead with a field goal early in the fourth quarter before Snow hauled in a 27-yard touchdown pass.

After a successful two-point conversion, the Golden Gophers kicked another field goal to go up 37-26 with just over five minutes left. The Buckeyes then made it a three-point game with 3:04 remaining on a one-yard run by Frey, as well as another successful conversion.

After the defense forced a three-and-out on the most important series of the game, Frey engineered a five-play, 73-yard drive, capped off by the 15-yarder to Graham with 51 seconds on the clock.

“Things like this, they can’t happen,” Graham said afterward. “People call it luck. People call it a miracle. That’s OK. I believe in luck and miracles.”

Frey finished the game with 362 yards and three touchdowns passing, with Graham hauling in six receptions for 106 yards and the game-winner. Snow, meanwhile, racked up 278 all-purpose yards and three scores.

“It definitely was a great comeback – had to be the greatest,” Snow said. “It certainly was the greatest game I’ve ever been a part of. I’m proud to have been in it.”

Go Gophers!!
Yes this was an embarrassing one. One of several. What gave Ohio St the chance to get the TD before half was a royal f-up. We had stopped them and forced a punt. They punted, but we had an extra player on the field. OSU was able to finish the drive and get the 2-point conversion. I knew that we were in trouble when that happened - we gave them hope when they had none. Gutie also lost a game to Iowa because of "illegal participation," AKA too many players on the field, on another special teams play. I can't believe how we have invented ways to lose games over the years... Mason was also a master at that feat. I know that some folks don't like Fleck, but IIRC he has never snatched defeat from the jaws of victory like some of our past coaches were prone to doing. Go Gophers!

Was at this game and can attest that it sucked! I remember vividly future first round pick Alonzo Spellman doing the whisper to the crowd once they pulled ahead and laughing at them. I was in that crowd with a sad face as he pointed and mocked. It was like he was pointing right at me. A true tragedy. 😂

I’ve been a Gopher fan my whole life but this game took place during a period of time where my interest was at an all time low, as it was my own college years at an MIAC school. Thankfully I have no memory of it and at the time I probably heard about it only in passing at a kegger, “Did you hear what happened to the Gophers tonight?”

At least Michigan & Ohio State fans that talk smack to each other can't play the "at least we've made an epic comeback at the Metrodome" card on each other.....

Yes this was an embarrassing one. One of several. What gave Ohio St the chance to get the TD before half was a royal f-up. We had stopped them and forced a punt. They punted, but we had an extra player on the field. OSU was able to finish the drive and get the 2-point conversion. I knew that we were in trouble when that happened - we gave them hope when they had none. Gutie also lost a game to Iowa because of "illegal participation," AKA too many players on the field, on another special teams play. I can't believe how we have invented ways to lose games over the years... Mason was also a master at that feat. I know that some folks don't like Fleck, but IIRC he has never snatched defeat from the jaws of victory like some of our past coaches were prone to doing. Go Gophers!
I remember watching this game on TV in 1986, because so few games were ever on TV. I believe this was same game that Lohmiller drilled a 63 yard FG at the end of the 1st half.

I believe the too many men penalty resulted in a 15 yard penalty back then, which turned a difficult FG into a chip shot for Rob Houghton, who still hasn't had to pay for a drink in the state of Iowa since his winning kick in '85 over Michigan....

I remember watching this game on TV in 1986, because so few games were ever on TV. I believe this was same game that Lohmiller drilled a 63 yard FG at the end of the 1st half.

I believe the too many men penalty resulted in a 15 yard penalty back then, which turned a difficult FG into a chip shot for Rob Houghton, who still hasn't had to pay for a drink in the state of Iowa since his winning kick in '85 over Michigan....
I remember where I was watching this game too. I'm pretty sure that it was on TBS and Paul Hornung was the color analyst. There was not OT at the time and the game would have ended in a tie, rather than the loss when the guy made the chip shot FG. To be a Gopher fan....

Top Bottom