Could there be 2 Big Ten teams in the CFP?

To be fair to Florida when their starting QB was suspended that changed their whole season

I agree, but they played half the season without him, struggled to score points and still won the SEC East. That just shows how weak that conference is.

I agree, but they played half the season without him, struggled to score points and still won the SEC East. That just shows how weak that conference is.

The SEC East is a division, not a conference. It's also not the division in which Alabama plays.

LSU would have breezed through the Big10 West this year. I agree that SEC teams occasionally get overrated in the preseason, but I think their rankings also get depressed throughout the season because they inevitably beat each other in conference games. I would argue that every conference game Alabama played was tougher than every conference game Iowa played.

The SEC East is a division, not a conference. It's also not the division in which Alabama plays.

Great comeback, thanks for letting me know the SEC East is a division not a conference. I had no idea. :rolleyes:

LSU would have breezed through the Big10 West this year. I agree that SEC teams occasionally get overrated in the preseason, but I think their rankings also get depressed throughout the season because they inevitably beat each other in conference games. I would argue that every conference game Alabama played was tougher than every conference game Iowa played.

Based on what?

Based on what?

Watching games and formulating opinions on what I see. Does the NFL have an SEC bias as well? I know football is a team game, and the most talent will not always win out in a one game scenario but I think it's hard to deny that the week-to-week schedule in the SEC doesn't pose more of a challenge than the Big 10 (especially when you don't go up against OSU, MSU, and Michigan). I think all 7 teams in the SEC West would have either been favored to win the Big 10 West or had a fair shot to win it. Now, the SEC East does have more flaws and even some really weak squads.

Watching games and formulating opinions on what I see. Does the NFL have an SEC bias as well? I know football is a team game, and the most talent will not always win out in a one game scenario but I think it's hard to deny that the week-to-week schedule in the SEC doesn't pose more of a challenge than the Big 10 (especially when you don't go up against OSU, MSU, and Michigan). I think all 7 teams in the SEC West would have either been favored to win the Big 10 West or had a fair shot to win it. Now, the SEC East does have more flaws and even some really weak squads.

These SEC West teams you speak of collectively lost to Memphis, Toledo, Texas Tech, and needed OT to beat Jacksonville St. this year. That makes them great? Everyone also thought the SEC West was the greatest division in football last year. Then they went 1-5 in bowl games.

These SEC West teams you speak of collectively lost to Memphis, Toledo, Texas Tech, and needed OT to beat Jacksonville St. this year. That makes them great? Everyone also thought the SEC West was the greatest division in football last year. Then they went 1-5 in bowl games.

Excellent point.

And I would add, 0-3 in New Year's 6/CFP games, collectively getting outscored 133-72, with all 3 teams (Alabama, Mississippi State, Ole Miss) yielding at least 42 points to their unworthy opponents.

Excellent point.

And I would add, 0-3 in New Year's 6/CFP games, collectively getting outscored 133-72, with all 3 teams (Alabama, Mississippi State, Ole Miss) yielding at least 42 points to their unworthy opponents.

But I thought SEC defenses were by far the best in the country?

Since GopherHomer brought up Iowa, let's talk about them. Using the current college football rankings, Iowa has a better win @ #14 Northwestern, then Alabama's best win - at home vs #21 LSU. Even if Iowa loses this week and Alabama wins, Iowa will still have beaten a higher ranked team, and their only loss will be against a higher ranked team than Alabama's only loss.

But I thought SEC defenses were by far the best in the country?

Since GopherHomer brought up Iowa, let's talk about them. Using the current college football rankings, Iowa has a better win @ #14 Northwestern, then Alabama's best win - at home vs #21 LSU. Even if Iowa loses this week and Alabama wins, Iowa will still have beaten a higher ranked team, and their only loss will be against a higher ranked team than Alabama's only loss.

If you think Northwestern is better than LSU, I don't know what to tell you. "Rankings" outside of the top 5-10 are virtually meaningless and have far more to do with schedule than any sort of actual truth (LSU packed it in after the 'Bama loss. At the time of this game, LSU was a national title contender). But, whatever, it's pointless to argue about opinions...until everybody plays everybody on a neutral site in a vacuum, we will never know the truth. I do, though, still believe that Alabama is by far the best team in the country and they'll get the opportunity to either prove me right or prove me wrong on the field.

If you think Northwestern is better than LSU, I don't know what to tell you.

I have seen nothing from LSU that leads me to believe they'd wipe the floor with Northwestern, and vice versa. Fournette would get his, yes, but we're not exactly talking about an explosive Tigers offense. Same deal with Northwestern. I don't see a bunch of points being scored in that game.

Now that you mention it, that would be a bowl matchup I could wrap my arms around. The perception would be, "big boy" LSU vs. "lil' ole' smart kids" Northwestern.

If you think Northwestern is better than LSU, I don't know what to tell you.

The same thing I said for Alabama applies LSU. Who did they beat outside of the SEC? Did the 34-24 win over a Syracuse team who fired their coach and went 2-6 in the ACC impress you?

As I've already mentioned, Northwestern beat Stanford. Stanford might be the next team in the playoff if they win and either Clemson or Alabama loses. Northwestern could definitely beat LSU on a neutral field. I'm with SS and would love to see that matchup.

The same thing I said for Alabama applies LSU. Who did they beat outside of the SEC? Did the 34-24 win over a Syracuse team who fired their coach and went 2-6 in the ACC impress you?

As I've already mentioned, Northwestern beat Stanford. Stanford might be the next team in the playoff if they win and either Clemson or Alabama loses. Northwestern could definitely beat LSU on a neutral field. I'm with SS and would love to see that matchup.

I completely give NW credit for beating Stanford, and concede that was a more impressive non-conference win than either Alabama or LSU had but I think it was somewhat flukey and that Stanford wins that game 14 out of 15 times. Even though I maintain that LSU is a better, more talented, team than NW, if they face each other in a bowl game this year I would probably lean towards putting money on NW. I find that bowl games (outside of the REAL big ones) are most often decided by which team cares more. LSU is checked out until 2016...NW wants to put a nice cap to their dreamy season.

Even though I maintain that LSU is a better, more talented, team than NW, if they face each other in a bowl game this year I would probably lean towards putting money on NW. I find that bowl games (outside of the REAL big ones) are most often decided by which team cares more. LSU is checked out until 2016...NW wants to put a nice cap to their dreamy season.

Translation? You're hedging your bet, making an excuse for LSU if indeed they did lose to NW.

(LSU packed it in after the 'Bama loss. At the time of this game, LSU was a national title contender). .

So that was LSU's first loss of the season. It's likely 3 of 4 playoff teams will have at least 1 loss. What sense does it make to pack it in at that point? None, especially when the media falls head over heels for the SEC, and the playoff committee would have little problem putting two SEC teams in the final four. LSU just isn't a top team.

I also don't buy that LSU will pack it in for whatever bowl game they play. Their head coach was almost fired, and could still be coaching for his job.

Top Bottom