Could next weeks Iowa game be the coldest game in recent memory?

In terms of actual low temperature, while it's not Top 5, the Michigan St game in 2012 was the most brutal for me personally. Just a howling wind and 2nd half after sunset temps dropped substantially.

Le'Veon Bell was unstoppable. Sparty rolled.

2013 Wis was quite cold. Being in the band, that was the coldest game I remember, maybe the wind chill made it feel colder than 2014 OSU

This is the one that sticks out to me too. Part of it was user error. I did NOT dress warm enough because I was young and dumb. We tailgated for a couple hours prior to the game too. Needless to say....I was shivering like a wet dog and we left at halftime.

Forecast is getting worse. Hopes for temps at least in 20s are fading.

2013 WI was brutal. Only game where my feet were so cold they hurt. Spent the 90 minutes it took to get out of the tailgate lot with our feet on the dashboard heat vents, desperate to warm up.

Can someone fill me in on the soccer game conditions? Just curious.

Keep holding out hope it will start trending in the right direction but unfortunately it gets worse as the game gets closer. Only plus side is it looks like there won't be precipitation with it but it is going to be brutal on Saturday.

(This maybe could have its own thread, but not necessary)

Best tips for keeping warm in the stadium???

I've heard people say to bring pieces of cardboard or styrofoam(?) to stand on, slows the cold seeping into your boots? I've never tried it.

I've heard people say to bring pieces of cardboard or styrofoam(?) to stand on, slows the cold seeping into your boots? I've never tried it.
Haven't tried it, but I'd be skeptical that standing on cardboard or styrofoam would make a big difference as your boots should have plenty of foam in them already.

Biggest thing is layers. Lined pants, long underwear. Thin liner socks with thicker wool socks. Hand warmers and foot warmers. Mittens not gloves. Standing is warmer than sitting.

Insulated clothing!

Focus first on keeping your core warm. Wear insulated overalls.

Must have waterproof insulated boots (400g+)

Bring a few pairs of Hot Hand foot and hand warmers. Activate them before going outside.

A good winter jacket goes a long way (one rated for sub-zero temps), but strategic layering is a good alternative. The problem with layering is that people who think they “don’t really need” sub-zero-rated gear in Minnesota are usually the same people who think they’ll “just be fine” if they leave the extra layers at home.

Being cold is nothing more than some combination of stupidity, laziness and lack of preparation.

They have weather forecasts, and they make plenty of gear for the cold.

Haven't tried it, but I'd be skeptical that standing on cardboard or styrofoam would make a big difference as your boots should have plenty of foam in them already.

Biggest thing is layers. Lined pants, long underwear. Thin liner socks with thicker wool socks. Hand warmers and foot warmers. Mittens not gloves. Standing is warmer than sitting.

The cardboard thing really only has an impact if there was snow prior to the game, IMO. Often the removal/melt/refreeze still leaves a layer of ice on the ground. In that circumstance, it helps a bit.

I invested in some Carhatt bibs for the NW game - worth every penny. I wore sweatpants and thermals underneath and I felt pretty impervious to the cold. Everyone around me was freezing but I had zero issues. 100 recommend the investment - especially if you sit on cold steel.

In a wild twist of fate - through a series of strange happenings I ended up in the Cambria club for the entire second half, alternating between the heated interior and the stadium seats connected to it.

Side bar - after having been in the Cambria section it def had me thinking about someday getting seats up there. Too scared to look at the cost.

Please don't accuse me of heresy or something but if the weather is as cold or worse than expected, move the game to Vikings stadium.
Leave the hall!
For real tho - I love the fact that our Pro club is indoors and the "real" football that made Minnesota so unique in the 70's is still alive with the Gophers. You can get both experiences.
That said, I FAR prefer the gophers game day experience.

I went to the Vikes VS Arizona and just the level of intoxication and people treating their team like it's a gang...can't deal with it. Not trying to get into a fight at a football game.

Please don't accuse me of heresy, or something, but football wasn't meant to be played indoors. **My opinion only. Maybe it is heresy, I don't know. I hate indoor football.

Car

Cardboard keeps the concreate from radiating cold to your boots. Another barrier to keep out the cold. It works have used it at both late season Iowa and Wisconsin games. Have done both no cardboard and cardboard. I just used a large pizza box Saturday against Northwestern. Kept my feet from freezing.

Corrugated cardboard definitely works, or at least people think it works. If you've ever seen an event held on the ice on a cold day like snowmobile races on frozen lakes, ice fishing, lake hockey, etc., you see people using it. I've used it in RV windows on days below freezing and it worked very well. For camping, I've found the bubble foil insulation works wonders in keeping cold off the body and it is easy to handle/fold, though standing on it with boots might pop the bubbles.

Insulated clothing!

Focus first on keeping your core warm. Wear insulated overalls.

Must have waterproof insulated boots (400g+)

Bring a few pairs of Hot Hand foot and hand warmers. Activate them before going outside.

A good winter jacket goes a long way (one rated for sub-zero temps), but strategic layering is a good alternative. The problem with layering is that people who think they “don’t really need” sub-zero-rated gear in Minnesota are usually the same people who think they’ll “just be fine” if they leave the extra layers at home.

Being cold is nothing more than some combination of stupidity, laziness and lack of preparation.

They have weather forecasts, and they make plenty of gear for the cold.
I would add make sure your boots have some space in them. The air in your boots will act as an insulator, especially if you have boot/foot warmers in.

In terms of actual low temperature, while it's not Top 5, the Michigan St game in 2012 was the most brutal for me personally. Just a howling wind and 2nd half after sunset temps dropped substantially.

Le'Veon Bell was unstoppable. Sparty rolled.
That one and 2013 Wisconsin stick out the most for me

I would add make sure your boots have some space in them. The air in your boots will act as an insulator, especially if you have boot/foot warmers in.
YES

Packing your boots tight is a rookie mistake / recipe for freezing.

FLUFFY socks and space to move your toes > more socks.

3 degrees with wind chill -10 to -15. https://www.sportingnews.com/us/soc...orld-cup-qualifier/1m6hkmqh19wiy1mj6cmz41y35w

Team Honduras wasn't thrilled about it.

I was there for that one as well with my oldest. We were good through most of the game, but in the 2nd half it was catching up with us.

I wore:
Boxers, base layer tights, pair of jeans, snowpants.
T-shirt, long sleeve thermal shirt, long sleeve thin shirt, sweathshirt, heavy coat that essentially had an inner layer as well.
Warm insulated boots with foot heat pads activated before walking to the stadium. Make sure they are warm when you put them in. They need air to work. I had two layers of socks on inside insulated boots.
Wore a face gaiter thing to keep face and head warm, then had a ski mask stocking cap I could pull down over my face after that. Had several activated hand warmers in my pockets as well.

That night they had handwarmers handed out in the drink holders of all the seats, but they took about 20-30 minutes to warm up in that cold.

The 2018 Northwestern game was cold but we sat on the sunny side. That made a definite difference, and if there is sun out, Minnesota should take the sunny side for the first time ever.

Top Bottom