Could Athan K's Game become like Daniels Jones's

nsmike

Reaction score
Watching the Vikings Giants game yesterday, I couldn't help but see that Athan, has a similar skill set to Daniel Jones. If Athan, becomes quicker and more decisive in his reads, I could see him having a similar game to Jones.

Watching the Vikings Giants game yesterday, I couldn't help but see that Athan, has a similar skill set to Daniel Jones. If Athan, becomes quicker and more decisive in his reads, I could see him having a similar game to Jones.
Not sure Athan is as good of a runner.

Only if Athan gets to play against the worst defenses in the league.

Not sure Athan is as good of a runner.
You can teach speed, but yeah, Daniel Jones is ridiculously fast.

I'm excited for Athan especially now that the season is over. Can't wait to watch him next year.

Jones
40 4.81 vert 33 6'5"
Overview
Three-year starter who operates with a rare level of quality mechanics coming from the college game. Jones doesn't have special arm talent, but he can make pro throws and has the ability to attack deep with accuracy. He completed just 59.9 percent of his career passes, but his receivers -- who dropped 38 passes this year alone -- really struggled to get open at times. Jones has good football IQ and is relatively mobile, but he appears to be more of a game manager than "franchise" talent. He's more of a Day 2 draft pick than Day 1.

Jones
40 4.81 vert 33 6'5"
Overview
Three-year starter who operates with a rare level of quality mechanics coming from the college game. Jones doesn't have special arm talent, but he can make pro throws and has the ability to attack deep with accuracy. He completed just 59.9 percent of his career passes, but his receivers -- who dropped 38 passes this year alone -- really struggled to get open at times. Jones has good football IQ and is relatively mobile, but he appears to be more of a game manager than "franchise" talent. He's more of a Day 2 draft pick than Day 1.
His 4.81 40 seems suspect as he has the highest mph clocked by any QB in the NFL. Faster than Lamar even. His big run 2 years ago he was running away from CBs.

His 4.81 40 seems suspect as he has the highest mph clocked by any QB in the NFL. Faster than Lamar even. His big run 2 years ago he was running away from CBs.
That is from the combine

I like kaliakmanishegood's upside. He's got a great arm and I think he can run but the arm is his special talent. Let's see how he develops. As for jones, let's see him against a good defense

I think Kaliakmanis is like Sean Clifford. Very mobile when he needs to be and will pick up a lot of 3rd down conversions with scrambles.

Against Wisconsin and before he got hurt against Syracuse, AK was starting to show quick descion making going through his progressions. If he can be more decisive in deciding to run, he could put pressure on defenses, similar to the way Daniel Jones does.

Maybe, I can see how the skillset is similar but a big factor for Jones's development is he was coached by Cutcliffe, and our offense limits QB development for the pros IMO. Future is bright hopefully we coach him up.

Jones is WAY better runner and athlete

If a team plans for their QB to have a significant role in the running game they better have a quality backup QB.
How many games Martinez missed or played hurt at NE is the best recent example in the West.

I say Athan Kaliakmanis is a Josh Allen clone. And if there is any progress to his game step aside Trevor Lawrence ..

If a team plans for their QB to have a significant role in the running game they better have a quality backup QB.
How many games Martinez missed or played hurt at NE is the best recent example in the West.
If you are saying AK will be a running QB, I don't see that happening. I can see based on a weakness they are seeing in-game, throwing in a keeper run, but outside of that, his runs will be limited and more opportunistic based on a play breakdown or a defensive lapse that gives him a great opportunity to get yards with his feet.

If you are saying AK will be a running QB, I don't see that happening. I can see based on a weakness they are seeing in-game, throwing in a keeper run, but outside of that, his runs will be limited and more opportunistic based on a play breakdown or a defensive lapse that gives him a great opportunity to get yards with his feet.
That's what I can see, Athan needs to be quicker, in recognizing his opportunities to make plays with his feet. I think that he's quick enough get the quick 5 to 10 yards when contain breaks down. Forcing defenses to accout for him will just make the rest of the offense more efficient.

That's what I can see, Athan needs to be quicker, in recognizing his opportunities to make plays with his feet. I think that he's quick enough get the quick 5 to 10 yards when contain breaks down. Forcing defenses to accout for him will just make the rest of the offense more efficient.
I think he's plenty quick for those limited runs. He did it several times in 2022.

I think Giants' fans were ready to run Jones out of town after 2020, but like a lot of young QBs, he matured and when Daboll came along, he took another step forward. I think Kaliakmanis has skills and we'll have to see how the offensive staff decides to use them. He's more mobile than Morgan, but that doesn't always translate to being an effective running QB. I'm really curious to see if (and how if it does) the offensive mindset changes going into 2023.

on Athan - two separate questions?

1. is he capable of running?

2. will the coaches let him run?

I think Athan is athletic enough to be able to avoid rushers and pick up some open-field yards. I could also see him running the ball on keepers or bootlegs a few times a game. But I just do not see a QB in Fleck's offense being a primary ball-carrier. It goes against the whole risk-averse philosophy.

Hey, maybe Fleck will say what the bleep and let the QB function like a Martinez or Kill's QB at New Mexico State. But I'll have to see it to believe it.

In the RPO, the QB can keep the ball himself and also choose to run, right? Morgan rarely did that, even though there were times it looked like he could have run for significant yardage (and first downs). I'm hoping AK runs more in RPO situations. (with no Mo in the back field anymore, he may have to!)

What is the latest on his injury and recovery?

In the RPO, the QB can keep the ball himself and also choose to run, right? Morgan rarely did that, even though there were times it looked like he could have run for significant yardage (and first downs). I'm hoping AK runs more in RPO situations. (with no Mo in the back field anymore, he may have to!)
RPO (run pass option) are typically handing the ball off or throwing a quick pass before your lineman get too far downfield. You’re describing read options.

This is just based off of what I’m seeing, but I would be shocked if the read options that we have run are true “options”. If the QB was truly making the decision, there’s no way Tanner (or any D1 QB) would keep it as rarely as Tanner did throughout his career. My assumption has been that the “read” is called in by the sideline pre-snap. Showing the option action of the QB pretending to keep the ball on basically every handoff is an easy way to make a defense hesitate even slightly and open things up for the running back.

I think Giants' fans were ready to run Jones out of town after 2020, but like a lot of young QBs, he matured and when Daboll came along, he took another step forward. I think Kaliakmanis has skills and we'll have to see how the offensive staff decides to use them. He's more mobile than Morgan, but that doesn't always translate to being an effective running QB. I'm really curious to see if (and how if it does) the offensive mindset changes going into 2023.
They're not going to use him as a running QB. He will run at times. Two different things.

Top Bottom