Cory Joseph Slipping

bleacher report is not a reliable website.

Joseph is not quick enough and not a good enough shooter to make up for it. nbadraft.net has him at 42nd FWIW (not much probably).

So because Joseph decided to go to another school, Gopher fans should hope he fails? I can understand if there's some resentment from Gopher fans toward Devoe because of how everything played out, but why Cory? A lot of recruits have expressed interest in Minnesota and gone elsewhere.

So because Joseph decided to go to another school, Gopher fans should hope he fails? I can understand if there's some resentment from Gopher fans toward Devoe because of how everything played out, but why Cory? A lot of recruits have expressed interest in Minnesota and gone elsewhere.

My position on this is pretty clear. I hope Co-Jo drops like a stone in the draft, not out of schadenfreude (schadenfreude will be when Devoe goes undrafted), but because any little recruiting advantage helps. I want any recruit who chooses anybody else over the Gophers to not succeed, not only because being a fan of the Gophers necessarily means rooting against every other team, but also to give Tubby a little bit of an advantage next time we go up against Texas for a recruit.

D league or Europe, that is one player that should have gone back to school.

Their family and AAU coach hace enabled both Corey and Devoe.Filling their heads with unrealistic ideas about going to the NBA.I don't wish ill will on the kids but their family and self serving AAU coach are reaping what they sow.Unfortunitly the aau coach will have kids from his program drafted and in turn fill his greasy pockets with cash.

Not really seeing that advantage there...

My position on this is pretty clear. I hope Co-Jo drops like a stone in the draft, not out of schadenfreude (schadenfreude will be when Devoe goes undrafted), but because any little recruiting advantage helps. I want any recruit who chooses anybody else over the Gophers to not succeed, not only because being a fan of the Gophers necessarily means rooting against every other team, but also to give Tubby a little bit of an advantage next time we go up against Texas for a recruit.

It does highlight even more difficulties in recruiting and developing winning teams. A lot of people were hoping for Joseph to go MN, but seeing he is one and done, I am pretty glad he did not chose MN. Gophers need stability along with play making ability. One and done does not cut it.

Really surprised Cory stayed in the draft. Perhaps because it worked out well for Avery Bradley (1st round pick) he is thinking it will work out for him. Assume he was given some guidance telling him to stay. I wish him the best, but honestly seems like a Rick Rickert deja vu only at PG.

It does highlight even more difficulties in recruiting and developing winning teams. A lot of people were hoping for Joseph to go MN, but seeing he is one and done, I am pretty glad he did not chose MN. Gophers need stability along with play making ability. One and done does not cut it.

I must agree. It also makes me wonder about Tyus. He seems to have the makings of a one and done.

Not so sure this gives us any advantage at all.

Are you suggesting that this would be unusual? Many fanbases would be hoping that Cory fails for choosing a school other than their own. I personally don't care if Cory succeeds or fails, I don't wish ill on the kid, but I don't hope that his dreams come true in the way that I would for a Rodney Williams. I actually like seeing that passion from a fellow fan, even though it might be misdirected in my mind.

The advantage may not be a huge one, but I, for one, as a Gopher fan, root against every other team, and every other player. I'll make an exception for good stories, maybe Minnesotans who weren't recruited here who are making good, but for the most part. I want the Gophers to succeed, and everybody else to fail (only in a basketball context). One of Texas' major recruiting advantages is that Rick Barnes gets kids drafted. They don't win, but they get kids drafted. If kids stop getting drafted as high, that's lessened the advantage if it ever comes down to UT and us for a kid. I want all Gophers to stay four years, and get drafted highly, and kids who had a chance to be Gophers and opted to go somewhere else to fall in the draft. Now, once they're in the league, I don't care. Then my NBA rooting interests take over. But I still think it would be beneficial to the Gophers, if only slightly, if Cory isn't drafted highly. And I think it will be a very large advantage to the Gophers when Devoe's Oregon career is disastrous, and that's another thing I'm rooting for. With the latter, I'll be happy to see it because I think he done us wrong. With the former, Cory owed us nothing, so it's not schadenfreude, it's (again, maybe only in my view) a slight advantage to the Gopher program.

And I'm guessing Cory Joseph could care less what someone on GH thinks.

I think part of the "ill will"/rooting against him is coming from the idea that Cory chose Texas over the Gophers because he felt that Texas gave him an edge in making the NBA that Minnesota wouldn't give him ... the implication being that if he fails to make the NBA, that will help disprove the misperception by some like Cory that playing for the Gophers somehow hurts your chances to make the league. Certainly in the future a Gopher coach can use Cory as an example to recruits to show that, for 99% of recruits, what school/college coach you play for doesn't make much difference as to whether you're an NBA talent or not.

Actually, for this particular season I think having Cory Joseph, even for just this one season, would have made this season go 180 degrees from the way it did.

Cory plays for Minnesota.
No scrambling for spring recruits.
Devoe maybe doesn't leave (questionable).
Even if he does, AND Al Nolen gets injured, we still have a 5-star PG backing him up.
Blake Hoffarber stays at SG.
Rodney Williams stays at SF.
Less Colt + Trevor + Ralph lineup.
We see more Puerto Rico Minnesota and less 1-10-in-last-eleven-games Minnesota.

I'm not a fan of the one-and-done teams like Kentucky and Texas who hog the 5-star recruits and put an entirely different set of players on the court every season, but having Cory, even if for just this past season, would have made a world of difference.

Actually, for this particular season I think having Cory Joseph, even for just this one season, would have made this season go 180 degrees from the way it did.

Even if he does, AND Al Nolen gets injured, we still have a 5-star PG backing him up.

I'm not a fan of the one-and-done teams like Kentucky and Texas who hog the 5-star recruits and put an entirely different set of players on the court every season, but having Cory, even if for just this past season, would have made a world of difference.

This.

I think part of the "ill will"/rooting against him is coming from the idea that Cory chose Texas over the Gophers because he felt that Texas gave him an edge in making the NBA that Minnesota wouldn't give him ... the implication being that if he fails to make the NBA, that will help disprove the misperception by some like Cory that playing for the Gophers somehow hurts your chances to make the league. Certainly in the future a Gopher coach can use Cory as an example to recruits to show that, for 99% of recruits, what school/college coach you play for doesn't make much difference as to whether you're an NBA talent or not.

Though I understand where you are coming from, I think most on the board who do not want to see him make it do so because he did not chose MN and has little to do with the rest of what you state.

Personally, if someone does not chose MN, they are basically off my radar and I am not concerned one way or another how the rest of their career goes, though I do not carry an ill will that hopes they fail. If they chose somewhere else, it means it is time to move along and we have to find someone else.

True enough, but the what ifs...Can't get hung up on those things that are out of anyone's control, especially the injuries.

or throw this what if in there
Devoe gets suspended for what he was rumored to going to be suspended for
He drags Cory into the same situation
then we look even worse

can't what if the past-- look to the future

I think if we had gotten CoJo we would have made the NCAA T this year and been a lot worse off going down the road. He still would have gone in the draft, and we would not have gotten Andre' Hollins to come here last fall, and Hollins was the only high level guard we cam close to in the fall. I don't think it would have even kept Devoe on the team, probably just delayed his departure to the end of the season. He and Tubby were never going to agree on who was in charge. Then we would have had to take two PGs in the spring. I like Welch and Hollins, and think our current guard position will be fine by the time BigTen play rolls around.
It is a shame the Joseph brothers are both screwed up, but they are. The real problem is that for the effort that went into recruiting them, we did not know those kids very well. Their real disdain for college basketball (especially defense) and focus on the pros did not make them good candidates to play for Tubby at all. The problem is not that we missed on Cory, the problem is that we took Devoe.

Top Bottom