Cory Joseph discusses his interest in Texas

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this update from BurntOrangeBeat.com:

Rick Barnes and the Longhorns have had success with both the Findlay Prep high school and Grassroots Canada summer programs. It just so happens that 2010 point guard target Cory Joseph plays for both of them.

Coming from Canada, Cory Joseph knew that there would be questions about whether or not he was ready to play in the States. Landing at powerful Henderson (NV) Findlay Prep, the 6-foot-2 junior point guard has had little trouble adjusting to the change in competition.

Of course, the competition he sees on a daily basis with his high school squad hasn’t hurt.

“Since last year, I think I’ve improved my strength and my conditioning,” said Joseph. “I think on defense I’ve got a better understanding because I’ve had to play guys like Avery Bradley and D.J. Richardson every day.”

Speaking of Findlay, the easy going Joseph is thrilled to have landed in a program that seems to be preparing him for the next level on and off the floor.

“It’s been great. They really make it like college,” said Joseph of Findlay. “Not just the basketball, but the academics too. They want you to be a better person, a better student and then a better basketball player. I think that’s helped me a lot.”

Since first gaining notoriety in the states last summer, Joseph has also fought a bit of an identity crisis. Because of his ability to strip nets from deep and ability to play off the ball, many have labeled him a combo or shooting guard. While he doesn’t necessarily care where he gets labeled, Joseph also makes it clear that he’s always been a point guard.

“All my life I’ve played point guard, but some people think I’m a combo,” said Joseph. “ I think it happens because I can shoot it but I’m alright with it.”

Not surprisingly, a rather long list of suitors are willing to recruit him as a point guard. Among the many schools involved are Louisville, Ohio State, UNLV, Memphis, Arkansas, Texas Tech, and Texas A&M.

One other school that’s involved are the Texas Longhorns. Not surprisingly, Joseph is quite familiar with the Horns. He played with Bradley last year, and future Horns Tristan Thompson (another Findlay player) and Myck Kabongo have been longtime summer teammates.

Not surprisngly, those familiar faces make Rick Barnes’ program awfully attractive to Joseph.

“Obviously with Tristan and Myck there and Avery too I’m very interested in Texas,” Joseph told Burnt Orange Beat. “They seem to like me a lot too.”

For now, Joseph says that he’s in no hurry to make a decision. He’ll continue working on his game, knock out the SAT and then worry about a decision.

“I’m just taking it all in right now,” said Joseph. “I’m worrying more about the SAT right now and then doing some unofficial visits to see how things look before setting up my officials and everything.”

Go Gophers!!

What??? No mention of the Gophers? Maybe the burnt orange are afraid of our connection, with his brother already playing here. I always thought we were pretty high on his long list, but I could be wrong.

What??? No mention of the Gophers? Maybe the burnt orange are afraid of our connection, with his brother already playing here. I always thought we were pretty high on his long list, but I could be wrong.

Maybe they asked him to get the list of schools and maybe he didn't mention us. I wouldn't be shocked if he wanted to play somewhere different from his brother and Texas would be great place to play. They have a great coach like us and the campus and city are one of the best around.

But Does He know?

But does Cory know Texas is going to secede from the Union? That could affect their NCAA affiliation!

:)

I wonder if CJ is aware of the other Texas signees who play his position and duplicate his skill set. One is first team USA Today.

Playing Time

Well, if CJ wants legitimate playing time, he should stongly consider the Gophers. The gophers have a great nucleus of players (best in many years), but still need a point guard.

YES !

Well, if CJ wants legitimate playing time, he should stongly consider the Gophers. The gophers have a great nucleus of players (best in many years), but still need a point guard.

I agree completely. This has to be obvious to the young man. PT is his to have at PG.

Top Bottom