Corey Nelson visiting?

Great News! Skyline H.S. has been very kind to us (Cooper, Reeves, Stoudermire, and McKnight).

Hopefully we can add Corey Nelson to that list!

Sign him up Brew! I was hoping we would sign him way back when and had completely forgot about him!

What a get that would be....I almost don't believe it's true haha.

I wouldn't get your hopes up on this one. If Texas doesn't get Hicks I see them putting the full court press on Nelson now that Mike Davis (WR from Skyline) is committed to be a Longhorn. And even if that doesn't happen, I'm not sure he'll leave A&M for Minnesota, no matter how awesome I think that'd be. I'd love to see the fallout from that one. The guy signs his texts messages as "Mr. A&M." From him to go from that to being a Gopher, well it would be a glorious thing to see. Here's to hoping. But I'm just saying, I wouldn't get too excited about it until it does happen.

I wouldn't get your hopes up on this one. If Texas doesn't get Hicks I see them putting the full court press on Nelson now that Mike Davis (WR from Skyline) is committed to be a Longhorn. And even if that doesn't happen, I'm not sure he'll leave A&M for Minnesota, no matter how awesome I think that'd be. I'd love to see the fallout from that one. The guy signs his texts messages as "Mr. A&M." From him to go from that to being a Gopher, well it would be a glorious thing to see. Here's to hoping. But I'm just saying, I wouldn't get too excited about it until it does happen.

If he's signing "Mr. A&M" and is fully on board, then why is he even looking around, let alone visiting Minnesota of all places in the middle of December lol. I guess he could be visiting former teammates and used the official to do that. But hey, you never know what could happen.

If he's signing "Mr. A&M" and is fully on board, then why is he even looking around, let alone visiting Minnesota of all places in the middle of December lol. I guess he could be visiting former teammates and used the official to do that. But hey, you never know what could happen.

Hey, I've got no clue as to what is going through his head. You may be right about him being able to visit old teammates though. That does seem to play a role with regard to his recruitment. One reason why Texas may have a shot this late in the game is because we've got Christian Scott, who Nelson kind of views as a big brother type already here. And you add in Mike Davis to that, and all of a sudden his recruitment is not completely over and done with.

He may be looking around, or he may be looking to take a trip for the fun of it. I really have no clue. I'm just saying that I wouldn't get too carried away with it. Especially if Jordan Hicks chooses Florida or Ohio State over Texas. If that happens I could see Texas really making a push for his commitment.

FWIW, I hope we get Hicks and I hope Nelson ends up at Minnesota. That would be awesome. Besides guaranteed playing time at a BCS school, I don't see why any black athlete would want to play for A&M. They are a racist tolerant school.

Yeah, I hear ya, definitely wouldn't book anything on this one. It's exciting to see VERY highly regarded guys visiting tho.

Yeah, I hear ya, definitely wouldn't book anything on this one. It's exciting to see VERY highly regarded guys visiting tho.

That's what the Brewster haters can ignore all they want. That's the difference he makes.

That's what the Brewster haters can ignore all they want. That's the difference he makes.

This is one of the big reasons I'm in favor of giving Brewster more time. At the very least, we've got Nelson coming up for a look. If he decides he wants to stick with A&M or even if he somehow through some interesting set of circumstances ends up a Longhorn, at least he's giving us a shot. And really, in terms of recruiting, that's all you can ask for. If he still sees A&M and Texas as better for him following our visit, I won't feel bad about it.

Just reading this thread makes me jealous of Longhorn fans. Could you imagine having a kid like this in your own backyard and only recruiting him hard if plan A (Hicks) falls through?

Just reading this thread makes me jealous of Longhorn fans. Could you imagine having a kid like this in your own backyard and only recruiting him hard if plan A (Hicks) falls through?

Take this for what's it worth, but the Ohio State boards I have been reading seem to be convinced he'll be a Longhorn. How that factors into the Nelson situation, I don't know. But, at least in Ohio, it seems they believe he's going to commit to Texas.

Take this for what's it worth, but the Ohio State boards I have been reading seem to be convinced he'll be a Longhorn. How that factors into the Nelson situation, I don't know. But, at least in Ohio, it seems they believe he's going to commit to Texas.

Yeah, I'm trying not to get my hopes up with what the Ohio State boards are saying. But that's about as good a sign as any. Mack and Muschamp flew up there to visit him last week, and last weekend he took an official to Florida. He's now canceled his weekly teleconference and many take that as a sign that he's made his decision.

Texas is pretty thin at LB. But we also don't have a lot of room with this class. So I'm not sure we have room to offer both Hicks and Nelson. We're still hoping Hicks, Jackson Jeffcoat, and possibly Darius White will join the fold. If Hicks decides soon, and he likely will since he's going to enroll in the spring, then I could see that factoring into what happens with Nelson. Texas really needs to add another LB to this class.

I think the most likely thing is that he sticks with A&M, but who knows for sure until the L.O.I. is signed?

The one thing that A&M, Texas, and Minnesota all have in common is that they have Skyline players either currently committed or on their roster.

One thing to note - A&M's head coach supposedly did an in-home with Nelson a week and a half ago. I would think that would be when a soft-verbal would be wrapped up and turned into a solid. The fact that it wasn't, and that a week and a half later the kid is coming up here is a very good sign for us. And I am going to get my hopes up, so there!

One thing to note - A&M's head coach supposedly did an in-home with Nelson a week and a half ago. I would think that would be when a soft-verbal would be wrapped up and turned into a solid. The fact that it wasn't, and that a week and a half later the kid is coming up here is a very good sign for us. And I am going to get my hopes up, so there!

well, think about it. would you want to play for a piece of crap former green bay fudge packers head coach?! :pig:

i.e. mike sherman is texas a&m's head coach

At first I was going to say he was visiting so he could get some late Christmas shopping in at MOA. But if TCF's post is accurate, then Nelson could have some legitimate interest in the U. Brewster has made a splash at the end of the last two recruiting periods by getting Cooper and Cater to switch their verbals from Texas Tech and WVU, respectively, to the Gophers. Maybe he can get Nelson to do the same in 2010.

At first I was going to say he was visiting so he could get some late Christmas shopping in at MOA. But if TCF's post is accurate, then Nelson could have some legitimate interest in the U. Brewster has made a splash at the end of the last two recruiting periods by getting Cooper and Cater to switch their verbals from Texas Tech and WVU, respectively, to the Gophers. Maybe he can get Nelson to do the same in 2010.

Let's hope so...He's a 4 star on rivals and a 5 star on scout. Theoreretically, after Seantrel announces his Gophers committment, we'll have 2 5 stars this year! (tongue in cheek, but I'm holding out hope....)

What are we supposed to be looking for at the bottom of the page?

It is just a little thing saying that he has scheduled a visit this weekend.

I would never claim to have any inside information, but I do know that at least one of the skyline guys had no idea that he was coming up here until yesterday. So, I believe that Nelson actually has legitimate interest in us--he's not coming just to visit his buddies from Skyline!

Racist Tolerant?

FWIW, I hope we get Hicks and I hope Nelson ends up at Minnesota. That would be awesome. Besides guaranteed playing time at a BCS school, I don't see why any black athlete would want to play for A&M. They are a racist tolerant school.

What a ridiculous statement. A&M maintains some of the traditions and values of its military legacy, not racism. To call that "racist tolerant" is just ignorant.

What are we supposed to be looking for at the bottom of the page?

I just clicked on the link I was referring to and here is what it said - posted December 7th (it wasn't Sherman that visited, as I had thought):

"Perhaps the biggest coup that Texas A&M has pulled off in recent years is the commitment of Dallas Skyline linebacker Corey Nelson. The 6-foot-1, 210-pound defender held offers from all over the country and the Aggies had to fight Texas and Oklahoma for his pledge. Now that his season is over, he is looking at other trips, possibly even to Austin. However, on Sunday evening, he hosted Aggie recruiter Charles McMillian on an in-home visit. How did it go?"

I wonder is Brewster is talking to and considering an offer to Yo Adrian James. He is considered a DB sleeper in this years class, and if he can start for Skyline, he should be able to start for the Gophers.

I also thought we hated seeing other schools steel our verbals - I guess if the shoe fits. Or what goes around comes around. Or it's a cut throat business and the nature of the beast.

I would never claim to have any inside information, but I do know that at least one of the skyline guys had no idea that he was coming up here until yesterday. So, I believe that Nelson actually has legitimate interest in us--he's not coming just to visit his buddies from Skyline!

Nor do I doubt, he is coming up to enjoy the Al Gore Global Warming weather we are enjoying. :mad: I would think that campus would be empty and not much happening. His former Skyline teammates will be back in Dallas for Christmas, so factor this all in (it's cold as hell) - and that campus is going to be pretty quiet; I would say that this looks like a very legitimate visit.

I also thought we hated seeing other schools steel our verbals - I guess if the shoe fits. Or what goes around comes around. Or it's a cut throat business and the nature of the beast.

Yes, we do hate seeing other schools steal our verbals. But I think most here understand that it's the nature of the business. I don't remember anybody here whining that it's "not fair." I, for one, am glad we finally have a coach who can steal a few back once in a while.

Cold as hell? It'll be around 40F the whole weekend not like last week when it was much colder. Pretty nice for this time of the year don't you think, granted it isn't 80F like back in TX.

What a ridiculous statement. A&M maintains some of the traditions and values of its military legacy, not racism. To call that "racist tolerant" is just ignorant.

I've lived in Texas all my life, and most of it a stone's throw away from Bryan/College Station. Sure you maintain some of your military "traditions" by having the ROTC program and all. And you maintain them by dropping educational requirements to enroll in said program just to keep a good number of warm bodies in it. That's right. A normal kid gets denied access to A&M, well not so fast. You can go to Blinn and play army in the meantime with them, and they'll give you special consideration for admission. I'm calling your culture "racist tolerant", not your military traditions. A&M is devoid of diversity. What it does have is a great number of white students that tolerate n***** jokes and the like. 9 times out of 10 when 'jokes' like that are said, aggies will laugh. 1 time out of 10, someone may disapprove. Your student body calls the street that a lot of the Asian and Asian American students use to walk to school the "Ho Chi Minh Trail." These same students have been shot with pellet guns by some of your "tolerant" students. And I'm just barely scratching the surface. Don't even attempt to deny that racist attitudes aren't tolerated at A&M. They are. Period.

Sorry to get off topic on this thread, but there's no way you can call me "ignorant" about A&M and it's culture when I practically grew up immersed in it. I'm just happy I didn't buy in to the bigotry. That's all I'll bother saying on this thread.

Like I said, I hope Nelson goes elsewhere.

Top Bottom