Cord-Cutting Continues as US viewing habits change

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
No surprise, but here are the latest numbers on how people are watching TV - courtesy of "Cord Cutters News."

The steady decline of cable TV continues as the number of people watching cable networks dropped to a new low in 2023. This comes as cable TV viewing now dropped below 30% of all TV viewing.

According to Nielsen, cable TV network viewing now accounts for just 28.3% of all TV viewing. Streaming accounts for 36.1% of viewing, and broadcast TV accounts for 24.9%. Other viewing is now 10.7% of all TV viewing.

Here Are The Top 10 Streaming Services:
YouTube: 9 percent
Netflix: 7.4 percent
Prime Video: 3.4 percent
Hulu: 2.7 percent
Disney+: 1.9 percent
Tubi: 1.4 percent
Peacock: 1.3 percent
Max: 1.2 percent
Roku Channel: 1.1 percent
Paramount+: 09 percent
Pluto TV: 0.8 percent

*Note: YouTube is for the main site, not YouTube TV, and Hulu is for the video-on-demand, not the live TV service.

At the same time, the amount of time Americans spend on streaming has jumped from 32.4% in January 2023 to 36.1% in November 2023. This comes as Americans move to streaming and away from cable TV.

Increasingly, Americans are deciding that on-demand services like Netflix, Prime Video, and Hulu are all they need. Unless you are a sports fan, the need to watch what is increasingly becoming reruns on cable TV networks is no longer needed.

There is almost nothing that can be watched on a TV that needs to be watched live.

Even most news, for the most part you can get to a summary later in the day and that’s fine.

It’s sports. That’s really it.

Nothing else needs to be in the format of a “live channel”. Even channels themselves are somewhat useless now, when people are becoming more and more accustomed to and even prefer to see and pick from a menu of events.

It's an issue where cable companies took advantage of their (semi)monopolies and gouged customers for years and years......and then an alternative came along......and the cable companies did nothing to change course. If anything.....they increased costs further to make up for revenue losses from those cord cutters.

I personally still have cable because they offer the most live sports in one package. I'm basically paying a premium for convenience. But I have little doubt that I'll ditch cable at some point too. Xfinity is a shit company.

Top Bottom