Coordinators

GreasyGopher

Reaction score
How far down the list of underwhelming HCs does Maturi have get better he realizes that good coordinator will be far better suited than some guy who can't win at a mid-major or some guy in the UFL (or whatever it is).

Point is at stage, a Brent Venables or Kirby Smart hire would look far better than a Larry Fedora or Jeff Jags hire.

While Venables is my favorite of the group, there are many more qualified that I would take in a heartbeat.

Kevin Wilson
Mark Stoops
Shawn Watson
Fickell at OSU

Along with Smart and Venables there's this list and many more.

If maturi is scared away from these guys because of Brewster's inexperience at the time of hiring, that is absurd. The experience these guys have is far greater than Brewster's. All of these have the own systems that have been successful.

Fickell & Smart are rumored to be the successors at their respective programs. Maybe thats just now, because things always could change like Bradley being the rumored successor at PSU. I thought Luke Fickell deserved to be looked at based upon his success at OSU, but Maturi doesn't see it that way.

I thought a coordinator would be a good hire for us but now I'm starting to think we need a good coach(with a track record elsewhere) to come in and turn things around. We're going to be in a tough division next season, and it is likely we will win 5 or less games next season. An established coach can shake things up, and hopefully focus on player development. Brewster did recruit some good players but they haven't played up to their ability yet.

The problem with hiring a coordinator....Maturi built up the next coach to be someone with a lot of head coaching experience and experience building a program. I think there are talented coordinators who may make very good head coaches. However, after the Brewster fiasco, I don't think Maturi would risk it. Also, the fan base would go ballistic. Its not a bad idea but I think our patience and understanding has been stretched pretty thin.

I think that maybe a fatal flaw of this search. Comparing the experience that Brewster had prior to becoming the coach of the Gophers to any tenured coordinator at the BCS level is a slap in the face to all coordinators.

Brewster was nowhere close to being ready to be a head coach of a team in a BCS conference. He was an NFL position coach. He never experienced calling plays, he was never a major part of the game day decision making, and he never played a leading role in creating game plans.

An experienced coordinator would have experience in all of these situations. Not to mention, the close daily interaction with guys like Bob Stoops, Nick Saban, Jim Tressel, Urban Meyer. These guys are learning from the best of the best in college football.

Maturi is confining himself to a box of potential hires and theres no guarantee (I understand there's no guarantee with any hire) these guys are going to be successful here just because they have head coaching experience. Maturi is comparing Brewster to all assistant coaches including coordinators, that's comparing apples to oranges. Sure, stay away from hiring another position coach to be the leader of your team but don't eliminate potentially qualified coaches just because your trying to save face.

Sorry, my rant is over.

Top Bottom