Cool formation I missed while at game

this looked strange at the time but I was too focused on the result to care. Fun to see. That slide block to the outside defender is awesome. Thomas walked in. BSF lined up next to center.

Big time Husker and NFLer tweeting about it. Love it
Maybe they gave Matt Simon the play call sheet at halftime....this does not look like something Sanford could concoct..

They got the play off quickly before the D could recognize the formation fully and adjust on the fly. Very well designed.
Wisconsin really wasn’t that unsound there. Their linebackers just got caught in the wash. Good job blocking did the job more than wisconsin being out of position

I was at the game and noticed it when Morgan went up to the line and thought it was the trick play where QB lines up under a guard and then they direct snap to RB. Then we scored the TD and I completely forgot about it until this post. It is pretty cool.

During the game I thought Wisconsin failed to recognize the formation. But they clearly did.

During the game I thought Wisconsin failed to recognize the formation. But they clearly did.
The awesome thing about the play call is that they also ran a pitch and then Morgan sealed the backside. Essentially, it let us go to the strong side and ignore 2-3 defenders.

You can see here, the mistake Wisc made in how they played this:

dq3Bqot.png

They had a DL lined up over BSF. That doesn't make sense, when you've got six OL to the right, and no DL on the right side between Andries and Schlueter.

BSF is not a powerful blocker, so they could've played it with just that stand-up guy on the outside of him, either covering him if he went out on a pass, or handling him if he tried to block straight up or zone to the left.

Would they have stopped the play anyway, with that DL moved over? Maybe still not.

I'm wondering if they have a counter play to the weak side if the defense cheats to the strong side.

I haven't seen any other teams run this. Has anyone else?
I thought Wisconsin lined up in a similar formation at one point but then a timeout was called, and they called a different play.

I saw a tweet from one of the regulars (Burns or someone like that) that they had come out in a similar formation (in the backfield) once or twice earlier and ran Iso, so the double wrinkle was that it was a pitch.

I saw a tweet from one of the regulars (Burns or someone like that) that they had come out in a similar formation (in the backfield) once or twice earlier and ran Iso, so the double wrinkle was that it was a pitch.
Yeah they've used that before, a couple other big heavy formations with slight changes too that when the defense guesses wrong, pretty much make it impossible to defend outside some crazy jailbreak at the line.

Late in the game, defense tired , there's not some super athlete on the defense busting through ... almost seems like a 50/50 call as far as getting a TD goes.

Last edited:

The defense reacted like it was ISO off tackle/end...or whatever the hell one calls the 4 lineman positions outside the guard :)

Wisconsin really wasn’t that unsound there. Their linebackers just got caught in the wash. Good job blocking did the job more than wisconsin being out of position
Watching the play you can clearly see their LB's thought the play was going to the right and up the middle. Got totally caught off guard with the toss and KY going all the way to the outside the way he did. Great play design and call.

Then that does make sense, in that case.

Fair enough.

They (Wisc) are lined up to stop the RUTM in the formation.

Watching the play you can clearly see their LB's thought the play was going to the right and up the middle. Got totally caught off guard with the toss and KY going all the way to the outside the way he did. Great play design and call.
Yup. I was saying they weren’t misaligned
Not that it wasn’t a good play call and formation.

There was 1 to block 1 and the free runner got caught in the wash.

T
Yup. I was saying they weren’t misaligned
Not that it wasn’t a good play call and formation.

There was 1 to block 1 and the free runner got caught in the wash.
The free runner would be their MLB, who even if he didn't get blocked at all (I think he ran into Faalele's ass) would have been in a footrace to the pylon with Thomas.

T

The free runner would be their MLB, who even if he didn't get blocked at all (I think he ran into Faalele's ass) would have been in a footrace to the pylon with Thomas.
Correct. Well designed.
I’m just saying it’s not like wisconsin was completely misaligned. They were gapped out and got beat.

Correct. Well designed.
I’m just saying it’s not like wisconsin was completely misaligned. They were gapped out and got beat.
Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 10.51.50 AM.png
They were not misaligned but they clearly didn't anticipate the play going as far outside as it did. The Outside LB at the second N probably needed to be farther from the MLB. At the snap they all get sucked into the LOS and then it is just a footrace to the outside for Ky. Almost feels like they expected the play to go to the short side.

View attachment 15686
They were not misaligned but they clearly didn't anticipate the play going as far outside as it did. The Outside LB at the second N probably needed to be farther from the MLB. At the snap they all get sucked into the LOS and then it is just a footrace to the outside for Ky. Almost feels like they expected the play to go to the short side.
Yeah their biggest issue is that they had no 3rd level player and scraping that many gaps from ILB is tough if first step is inside

Top Bottom