Cool 60 Minutes episode on football in American Samoa

didn't you think it was ridiculous that there are 30 Samoa players in the NFL but the High school players in their hometown are forced to play with unsafe beat to *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# equipment. How have they not donated new equipment their yet? That is greedy imo.

Yeah that was a great segment

A college would be very wise to donate their old equipment to American Samoa...

I watched that and they said American Samoa has 6 high schools. 200 players in college football and 30 in the NFL.

You would think some of the alumni would start a booster club, and donate some equipment and fix the fields.

You saw the house Fanene built for his family. Surely some money should be leftover to hook up his high school alma mater.

The NFL should go there the way MLB has gone to Venezuela, and start grooming the kids to become prospects.

Yeah that was a great segment

No kidding!! It was shocking the crappy equipment they had. Whoever donated the cash/equipment would have an immediate pipeline to that college for a long time.

I'm no expert, but I would think that would be a fast track to getting a college on some kind of serious NCAA probation.

Perhaps the colleges could do it indirectly. I can see the problems with a particular school giving equipment, as it could be seen as an attempt to entice recruits to come to your school. But perhaps an organization could be set up where colleges donate their equipment, and the organization distributes it. That way, there's no enticement.

What happens with used equipment anyway? I have to imagine that there's a lot of equipment, especially at the bigger schools that may be too old for them to use that might still be up to specs for a high school to use. When I played in high school, we had new helmets that had packets of foam and water. They were pretty cool (this was around 1981). I didn't get one. I had an ancient helmet that was too small and had canvas webbing for padding in the top.

Top Bottom