Conzemius, Olson on KFAN Power Show; DT with PA

I don’t know if KFAN discovered it, or if they are copying it. But either way the “not 100% sports content sports radio” format has become very successful for them. There will always be some people that would prefer to break down the Vikings practice squad or dissect the Twins batting order when they are 25 games out of first place in August. I’m sure KFAN frustrates people like that. I get a little irritated at the level of knowledge of Gopher sports and the negativity from people like Meat Sauce and Common Man.

However, in terms of overall balance of sports content, knowledge, non-sports content, seriousness, goofiness, etc… KFAN has unlocked a winning formula to gain a LOT of listeners and their ratings speak for itself. In general I like to listen to KFAN and it is the automatic go-to when I’m in my car.

I don’t know if KFAN discovered it, or if they are copying it. But either way the “not 100% sports content sports radio” format has become very successful for them. There will always be some people that would prefer to break down the Vikings practice squad or dissect the Twins batting order when they are 25 games out of first place in August. I’m sure KFAN frustrates people like that. I get a little irritated at the level of knowledge of Gopher sports and the negativity from people like Meat Sauce and Common Man.

However, in terms of overall balance of sports content, knowledge, non-sports content, seriousness, goofiness, etc… KFAN has unlocked a winning formula to gain a LOT of listeners and their ratings speak for itself. In general I like to listen to KFAN and it is the automatic go-to when I’m in my car.

Agree with all of this. The Power Trip is extremely successful and one of the top morning shows in the country. Passed KQ about five years ago and never looked back. The initials game that they do on Fridays brought in a whole new listenership.

And....while Chris Hawkey doesn't have more than passing knowledge on Minnesota sports (or sports in general).....Cory keeps tabs on Timberwolves....and Meatsauce knows quite a bit about most of the teams. He plays an idiot for the show.....but he's not that stupid. You just don't get much analysis because most of the teams here stink. They realize that nobody wants in depth analysis on a Twins team that was out of the playoff picture two months into the season. Even when John Bonnes is on the show....they hardly talk about the Twins.

But that's another reason why the show succeeds. The main three don't really need to know all that much. They have an awesome lineup of weekly guests that can provide the in-depth analysis that they don't bother with. As I said, Bonnes with the Twins. Leber for the Vikes. Mark Parrish for the Wild. Marney Gellner covers both the Twins and the T-Wolves. Cory is tuned into the Wolves. Mark Rosen keeps tabs on everything.....as does AJ Mansour. Gophers is a little light. Tommy Olson gets to talk some Gophers football every once in a while. And during the season....Justin Conzemius does a full segment every Thursday.

Overall....if there is something worth discussing....they will discuss it. But they won't bog down the listeners with stats that nobody really cares about.....or bash them over the heads with three deep positional battles that PA will. It's a winning formula that keeps the show interesting on a daily basis.

Agree with all of this. The Power Trip is extremely successful and one of the top morning shows in the country. Passed KQ about five years ago and never looked back. The initials game that they do on Fridays brought in a whole new listenership.

And....while Chris Hawkey doesn't have more than passing knowledge on Minnesota sports (or sports in general).....Cory keeps tabs on Timberwolves....and Meatsauce knows quite a bit about most of the teams. He plays an idiot for the show.....but he's not that stupid. You just don't get much analysis because most of the teams here stink. They realize that nobody wants in depth analysis on a Twins team that was out of the playoff picture two months into the season. Even when John Bonnes is on the show....they hardly talk about the Twins.

But that's another reason why the show succeeds. The main three don't really need to know all that much. They have an awesome lineup of weekly guests that can provide the in-depth analysis that they don't bother with. As I said, Bonnes with the Twins. Leber for the Vikes. Mark Parrish for the Wild. Marney Gellner covers both the Twins and the T-Wolves. Cory is tuned into the Wolves. Mark Rosen keeps tabs on everything.....as does AJ Mansour. Gophers is a little light. Tommy Olson gets to talk some Gophers football every once in a while. And during the season....Justin Conzemius does a full segment every Thursday.

Overall....if there is something worth discussing....they will discuss it. But they won't bog down the listeners with stats that nobody really cares about.....or bash them over the heads with three deep positional battles that PA will. It's a winning formula that keeps the show interesting on a daily basis.
I don't disagree with what either of you are saying, but the morning show simply isn't for me.
Much of it's content is sexual innuendo jokes I don't find funny, nor something I want my kids listening to.

I'd prefer it if they actually talked about some actual topics.
News, business, current events, pop culture, anything.
Joking about each other with sexual jokes isn't anything I care to listen to.

I don't disagree with what either of you are saying, but the morning show simply isn't for me.
Much of it's content is sexual innuendo jokes I don't find funny, nor something I want my kids listening to.

I 100% get that. As I said....it's really not for everyone. I don't find the penis jokes funny either. I find the immaturity and adolescent laughter that goes along with it funny and a pick-me-up in the morning. As one national writer said about the PT.....they make you feel like you're in on the joke. Under different circumstances and with different hosts.....it could be a trainwreck.

Definitely see why it's not something you'd want on in the car with kids as well.

Since I have been driving a lot recently to work locations I started listening to the Common Man after years, and I have to admit I actually appreciate his act a lot more than I used. to. You have to start by remembering that the guy considers himself to be a comedian, and a lot of his material is pretty good if you accept it as such.
I'd humbly suggest that if you have to remind me that he "considers himself to be a comedian" for it to be funny, it's not funny.

W C C O A M 8 3 0

I wake up to it every morning. It sounds like it is exactly what you are looking for.

Since I have been driving a lot recently to work locations I started listening to the Common Man after years, and I have to admit I actually appreciate his act a lot more than I used. to. You have to start by remembering that the guy considers himself to be a comedian, and a lot of his material is pretty good if you accept it as such.

Common is a bit and does it well. That said....I don't listen to him all that often. Every once in a while he'll make me laugh. But his bit is only d'okay (inside joke for listeners).

Justin Gaard is especially annoying to me. They guy has very little talent and mainly exists due to his producing work for Barreiro, and side work like being the Gopher Football sideline reporter. When he subs for the whole show it totally boring and intolerable.

JG has the "Cake Show" for two full hours on Sundays 11-1 until the Vikings season starts, Being the longtime sideline reporter you would think today's show, with OSU looming, would have a very heavy Gopher Football focus, and it just sucked.

Maybe those podcast "kids" he teased for hour 2 talked only about Gopher Football, but I doubt it, and I quit and turned it off.

Instead of having on Ryan Burns, Ron Johnson or anyone on with Gopher input, he blathered on about nothing with the hockey guy, and a lot of Vikings talk. Screw that

Justin Gaard is a no talent (soon to again be a) fat ass hack.

Interesting to see vile against JG. Since he's the Gopher guy....I figured that he'd get a little love. Then again....I never listen to the Cake Show. Stupid dude if he isn't using that offseason time to promote the team that he covers the most.

The fact that they are bringing in Griffin tells you everything you need to know about their own confidence in the D line.
It's not like he's going to be a full-time starter - he's a situational pass rusher. Have you ignored that we get Hunter back at DE, one of the best in the game, we brought in a solid FA DT in Tomlinson, and we get a solid NT with Pierce.

Yeah, adding Griffin to last year's line wouldn't mean much. But the other 3 I mentioned didn't play for us last year. Why is everyone forgetting about them?

The bolded is just nonsense. You think Sam Schlueter is better than 1st round tackle Darrisaw? Schlueter will probably be drafted, but I don't think anyone is looking at him going in the 1st round. Ezra Cleveland proved he can play at an NFL level - he's definitely at least as good as who the Gophers will put at LG this season. Center...that one could go to the Gophers. Dunlap is good and will be drafted, but how can you possibly suggest he's "flat-out better" than Wyatt Davis, who was starting the national championship game for Ohio State last year?

The Gophers line this year is probably better than last year's Viking line, but not this year.

Darrisaw just had another surgery. He isn't even practicing. So right now, the Vikes' starting LT is career journeyman Rashod Hill. Bradbury at Center has been a disappointment - he routinely gets pushed into the backfield. Oli Udoh - a 6th round draft pick - is starting at one guard. the Rookie from OSU is playing 2nd or 3rd team. Cleveland was a college OT, moved to RG and now to LG.

So the matchups - Vikes vs Gophers
LT - Rashod Hill vs Schlueter toss-up/slight advantage Gophers
LG - Cleveland vs Andries Andries is bigger and stronger - advantage Gophers
C - Bradbury vs JM Schmitz - Schmitz would eat Bradbury for breakfast
RG - Udoh vs Connor Olson/Dunlap - advantage Gophers on experience
RT - O'Neill vs Faalele - O'Neill wins this one

Hi Meatsauce.
Okay, I really am not impressed with Meatsauce, but the Morning Show that he is now a big part of is so awful I cannot listen to it for more than 3 minutes, but somehow I can tolerate the occasional Saturday with Sauce show, where he is not with the rest of that Power Trip group. Sure he knows nothing about anything and probably understands that fact.

The Power Trip does have some positives, some of the contributors are good, plus Chris Hawkey can be amusing and holds the show together. Corey Cove tends to get on my nerves and the game show stuff and the hangers on get a little old.

I definitely do not pine for the old 830 good neighbor thing, and even can listen to and appreciate the two radio vets on the Half Asses 93x show for an hour when driving, but KFAN AM through 12 noon not so much.

Last edited:

I actually thought Mike Morris had some radio talent, although to go back even further he was still no David Huffman. Former Viking lineman Huffman was a smart, authority resisting guy, and a rising media star before he died in car crash between Chicago and Notre Dame back in 1998.

Guessing you're not a fan of 93X either?
MPR or WCCO sound more up your alley. But to each their own.

Top Bottom