Contract Length Not As Important Anymore

GopherinPhilly

Reaction score
Keep seeing that the 3 year contract term was going to hurt recruiting, etc. I have always believed the premise as well...kids want to know that the coach will be there for the full term.

But of course there is no longer any guarantee with any contract. Huge buy outs, etc don't seem to matter anymore.

So I went and looked at all 128 FBS teams and the current tenure of their coach. And guess what...good luck finding a school that will have the same staff in 5 years.

Of the 128 teams in FBS only 39 have a coach with 5 or more years at that school. Of the top 40 programs in the country only 22 have 5 or more years with their school.

And that is including the coaches we know are retiring end of this year or who have already retired (Kill).

Plus often times kids are recruited by a position coach or coordinator...bet those numbers are even worse for longevity.

I fully expect Claeys and company to recruit well and sell Minnesota well and the 3 years not a huge deal. Because even if the HC has a 7 year deal and a bazillion dollar buy out...loses will still get you fired as a HC.

Yes, but the issue isn't whether other coaches and programs actually have more job security and stability than Claeys. The issue is whether or not recruits and their families will perceive that other coaches and programs have more job security and stability than Claeys.

Evidently most people on here think that there will not be a problem with that perception. I disagree but really, really hope that I am wrong.

Yes, but the issue isn't whether other coaches and programs actually have more job security and stability than Claeys. The issue is whether or not recruits and their families will perceive that other coaches and programs have more job security and stability than Claeys.

Evidently most people on here think that there will not be a problem with that perception. I disagree but really, really hope that I am wrong.

You're probably right but honestly, if you were gonna recruit against the Gophers you can go either way with it.

"3 years? See? They have no faith in him and you shouldn't either! He's gone in 2!"

Or "So they gave him 5 years? So what? You think that means he'll be there for your 4 years? In the last 30 years there's only been one Head Coach that made it to the last year of his contract and that guy only did because Tony Dungy turned it down the year before! Jerry Kill found things are so tough up there he HAD to quit!"

Pretty easy to come up with either way.

Hard to know the final calculus on how a family decides on where a kid ends up.

Certainly Coach Kill's condition did not deter keeping the Minnesota kids home (so far) and attracting quality others too.

We'll know the results of the first test on National Signing Day in February 2016.

Here's to passing with flying colors.

All is fair in love, war, politics, and recruiting. The fewer negatives a program the better. This will be used against him. You can count on it.

Perception is important. The buyout is tiny; it would've been pretty painless to go two more years. The fact is, the new Illinois coach will have a five-year contract. That guy may not last as long as Claeys, but he can make the argument to a 17-year-old that he's safer, whether it's true or not.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Perception is important. The buyout is tiny; it would've been pretty painless to go two more years. The fact is, the new Illinois coach will have a five-year contract. That guy may not last as long as Claeys, but he can make the argument to a 17-year-old that he's safer, whether it's true or not.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Illinois is in a worse spot. No AD as well and may need a change in culture. Interesting that there was a media member from Champagne on the B1G network that seems to think they should hire Cubit because it's a bottom of the barrel job right now. Sounds familiar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Illinois is in a worse spot. No AD as well and may need a change in culture. Interesting that there was a media member from Champagne on the B1G network that seems to think they should hire Cubit because it's a bottom of the barrel job right now. Sounds familiar.

That's true; Illinois was just an example. Any coach with five years on his contract will have an advantage over a coach with three in that area. You just need other benefits to outweigh that.

That's true; Illinois was just an example. Any coach with five years on his contract will have an advantage over a coach with three in that area. You just need other benefits to outweigh that.

Glen Mason on KFAN said he wished Claeys would have asked him to represent him, jokingly. Mason was perturbed that they only signed him to 3 and not 5. Claeys had the leverage and could have gotten 5 years. They gave Brewster 5, gave Kill 5, and would have given any outside hire 5. 3 makes no sense with the low buyout.

Glen Mason on KFAN said he wished Claeys would have asked him to represent him, jokingly. Mason was perturbed that they only signed him to 3 and not 5. Claeys had the leverage and could have gotten 5 years. They gave Brewster 5, gave Kill 5, and would have given any outside hire 5. 3 makes no sense with the low buyout.

Did Glen tell him not to show-up in the Off-Season or forget about Defense too? :D

Top Bottom