Conor Rhoda is returning for his fifth year with Gophers!

Hopefully we can find a better one. Nothing against Conor, it's just that we need a more dynamic player in that position. One that can run and pass.

Thank you for your support.

Rhoda is terrible, we need the depth but if he's actually the starter we're in big trouble.

I think this guy (Fleck) could sell ice to eskimos. against a bunch of 18, 19 & 20 year-old kids, it's no match.
This is why I'm excited for Fleck's hiring. I really hope his enthusiasm is infectious and can truly motivate young recruits and players to believe in the program.

per Greder:

“All great stuff,” Rhoda told the Pioneer Press. “(Fleck) said he really wanted me back and that I can help achieve our goals and can compete for the starting job.”

“He’s extremely excited,” his father, Jeff Rhoda, said. “He continues his story of perseverance. He was exploring his options, but this is what he hoped for.”

Jeff Rhoda said Conor left Saturday’s meeting really impressed with Fleck, who will look to turn the page from the suspensions and boycott that overshadowed a 9-4 season in 2016.

“I think he’s the perfect fit for the situation,” Conor Rhoda said. “He can get guys to buy into his agenda.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/0...ransfer-conor-rhoda-will-remain-with-gophers/

Go Gophers!!

The previous coaching staff was incapable of developing a passing attack. I think Rhoda has a good chance with the new staff and I wouldn't be surprised to see him play a significant role next year. He now has an organized, confident, energetic coach with crystal clear vision. I don't think Fleck is just a "salesman". I think he will do wonders with the existing talent on this team.

I would love a better option as much as anyone but what would be so terrible about Rhoda starting at least some games this season? He did his job last year, period. He wasn't flashy but he did what he was asked to do. He wasn't asked to come in and WIN the game against Maryland, just take care of the football and do his job.

What did he do? He led his team to a turnover-free win, a blowout win, on the road, against a Big Ten team that went to a bowl game.

A year older, he'll be better this year and I'm not certain he would be a significant drop down from 2015 Mitch or even 2016 Mitch.

I'm hopeful that Croft takes a few more steps forward this year now that he's a year older also but I don't think Rhoda starting would be the end of the world.

I think this guy (Fleck) could sell ice to eskimos. against a bunch of 18, 19 & 20 year-old kids, it's no match.

I admit I have not watched WMU play enough to have a sense of Fleck's offensive philosophy - and that assumes he brings his coordinator with him. If it turns out to be a new O-coordinator, it's really hard to say what type of offense they plan to run - and what set of QB skills will best fit that offense.

As of right now, all you can do is take the guy at his word. If he says Rhoda will have a fair chance to compete for the job, then that is what should happen. If it doesn't happen, then you've got problems.

Both defense and offense are similar. Didn't expect QB to run as much and pass a little more. two strong RBs carried the rushing load.

Seriously, the offense only needs a QB that can manage a game and be a little better passing than Mitch, which houldn't be hard.

Both defense and offense are similar. Didn't expect QB to run as much and pass a little more. two strong RBs carried the rushing load.

Seriously, the offense only needs a QB that can manage a game and be a little better passing than Mitch, which houldn't be hard.

It shouldn't be hard, yet the gophers didn't manage to find someone who fit that mold in 5 years...hence Mitch starting

Will Fleck convince Tyler Moore to reconsider his transfer request?

It shouldn't be hard, yet the gophers didn't manage to find someone who fit that mold in 5 years...hence Mitch starting

Because the QB needed to be able to run a lot more.

I've heard Rhoda's arm is not as strong Mitch's, and he can't run like Mitch, but I was impressed with his ability to throw away a ball when there was no one open. I thought he made good decisions. Maybe that's what we need this year?

I've heard Rhoda's arm is not as strong Mitch's, and he can't run like Mitch, but I was impressed with his ability to throw away a ball when there was no one open. I thought he made good decisions. Maybe that's what we need this year?

Yesterday we had two QBs on the roster. We need bodies. If Williams and Green were both currently "on the roster" this doesn't happen. That said, best of luck Conner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It amazes me how people have given up on Croft because of the NW game where Kill threw him to the Wolves. Everyone was so high on him until then. It seems like there is always interest in that guy with a highlight tape who has yet to throw an incompletion.

Croft and Rhoda both are better passers than most realize. Rhoda didn't run as well as staff wanted, but he's not immobile, and the previous staff, rightly so, was committed to saving Croft's redshirt and fixing Kill's mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kill's biggest brain f*rt.

Kill's biggest brain f*rt.

At the time, 95% of posts on this board were slamming Leidner and saying Kill should be fired if he didn't have the guts to play "his guy" Croft instead. That went on for weeks.

Then Mitch got too banged up to play anymore, so Kill decided to follow the advice of Gopherhole. Kill burned his RS ... but Croft proved not ready to play yet. And the wisdom of the loudest Gopherholers was debunked.

Mitch started every game after (except the one Rhoda won).

Gopherhole, collectively, has an insane biased towards the unknown quantity. Not surprising, I suppose, given the nature of the forum.

At the time, 95% of posts on this board were slamming Leidner and saying Kill should be fired if he didn't have the guts to play "his guy" Croft instead. That went on for weeks.

Then Mitch got too banged up to play anymore, so Kill decided to follow the advice of Gopherhole. Kill burned his RS ... but Croft proved not ready to play yet. And the wisdom of the loudest Gopherholers was debunked.

Gopherhole, collectively, has an insane biased towards the unknown quantity. Not surprising, I suppose, given the nature of the forum.

Most of the time, the known quantity has been pretty bad round here :)

That's how I recall it as well. As frustrated as I got with Mitch at times, it would have been nice to have an option on board other than Croft.

Most of the time, the known quantity has been pretty bad round here :)

This.

Early it Mitch's career I was anti-Mitch.
Late in Mitch's career I accepted that he was sadly our best option.

This.

Early it Mitch's career I was anti-Mitch.
Late in Mitch's career I accepted that he was sadly our best option.

Yep, me too. I remember being angry after the Colorado State game (away). Then, I was just like, wow, this is really the best we have.

Top Bottom