Congratulations to Minn.--23 , Swiss Cheese -17 with an 8-4 Season + Bowl

GSUsTALON

Reaction score
You worked hard and executed to get those 8 wins and an upcoming Bowl bid! GLAD YOU HAD A GOOD YEAR!!

Georgia Southern, not so much so. Southern was lucky to have a transfer QB for the new west coast offense.
Southern may have won 3 more games if we had a decent DEFENSE. In 3 games our defense was shredded.

PARTY ON GOPHERS OF GOLD!
TALON

You worked hard and executed to get those 8 wins and an upcoming Bowl bid! GLAD YOU HAD A GOOD YEAR!!

Georgia Southern, not so much so. Southern was lucky to have a transfer QB for the new west coast offense.
Southern may have won 3 more games if we had a decent DEFENSE. In 3 games our defense was shredded.

TALON
Did your coach stay on, or is your program looking for a new coach?

I guess I shouldn't be to upset with a 6-6 record. Southern has a new head coach and staff and we changed offenses from the "(PISTOL OPTION, which is NO TRIPLE OPTION)" to a West Coast passing Offense. Southern was lucky to get a passing QB transfer or we would have don much worse.

We did beat Nebraska, #25 ranked James Madison' and one of our archrivals in App. State. I guess after beating Nebraska and at the time #25 ranked James Madison GS would have won its last 4 games and have a 9-3 season.

STPGopher- - "Did your coach stay on, or is your program looking for a new
coach
TALON-Yes we finally got rid of the Head Coach and most of his staff that ran the so called (PISTOL OPTION) for a miserable 6 years of poor records at Georgia Southern!!! As I stated earlier the Pistol Option is NO TRIPLE OPTION, but only the QB run or pitch to the outside. It was supposed to help with the passing game with the QB 5 yards back. THe problem with that is there is nor true QB read for the fullback. The offense could see the QB/Fullback hand off and stop the full-back. If you're going to run a true triple option, and its counter plays you need the QB under center where the QB can read the defense and decide, at the LOS, to keep the ball or hand it off to the full-back or keep the ball for the outside portion of the 2nd phase of the outside option. AS THE QB runs down the LOS, about 3 feet behind the LOS. he then reads the defender that handles the QB and pitchman. If the defender is facing the QB the QB will then pitch. If the defender is out of place to stop the QB he will usually keep the ball and run it himself. As long as the offense is blocking properly the QB always has 2 to 1 advantage on the defenders.

The great thing about the
Flex Triple Option is that the formation was based on a passing formation.
5-linemen
QB under center
A wingback on each tackle and 2 wideouts. The side that the triple option was run to the wing-back was a Forword blocker, usually outside the play side tackle, to the side of the play, and the other wingback followed outside the QB as the pitchman. Most of the passing was done as play action and some were drop-back passes. The QB could have up to 5 receivers if the Fullback was used.

THE FLEX TRIPLE OPTION STOOD THE TEST OF TIME AT GEORGIA SOUTHERN and yes, I would rather have gone back to the Flex Triple Option if we could get our hands on a dual-purpose QB and a great coaching staff!!!!!!

Nun the less I'm happy for the Golden Gophers

TALON

Nebraska is a good win, to bad they couldn't keep it going.
I always want the teams that southern plays before and after to do well. It helps with strength of the schedule!

PARTY ON WALLY ;-)

TALON

I guess I shouldn't be to upset with a 6-6 record. Southern has a new head coach and staff and we changed offenses from the "(PISTOL OPTION, which is NO TRIPLE OPTION)" to a West Coast passing Offense. Southern was lucky to get a passing QB transfer or we would have don much worse.

We did beat Nebraska, #25 ranked James Madison' and one of our archrivals in App. State. I guess after beating Nebraska and at the time #25 ranked James Madison GS would have won its last 4 games and have a 9-3 season.

Thanks!

TALON
Hey Talon!
Good to see you.
I saw your Georgia Tech team had a nice turnaround with their interim coach and they are making a run at Willie Fritz at Tulane!
Hope they land him!
Best wishes to your Yellow Jackets.

Top Bottom