Congrats from a Hawkeye

PapaHawk21

Reaction score
I watched the game last night and was impressed with Duane Bennett's ability to bounce off first hits and extend the play. To be honest, I thought Adam Weber looked terrible. The one bright spot for him was no interceptions. Nonetheless, congrats on the victory.

Weber didn't have the big game I'd have liked him to, but I wouldn't say he looked terrible. He made a lot of key connections in the second half. They weren't pretty and there were no home runs, but he stepped up and made the plays that needed to be made.

Weber didn't have the big game I'd have liked him to, but I wouldn't say he looked terrible. He made a lot of key connections in the second half. They weren't pretty and there were no home runs, but he stepped up and made the plays that needed to be made.

Yes. The best thing about him is even after having a terrible first half, having a few catchable balls dropped, avoiding a couple of phantom rushes, etc. He still stays composed enough to make plays when they need to be made. Last night was not the first time we've seen that.

He reminds me a little bit how it used to be that if Brad Radke could just get through the 1st inning he would be solid.

I thought Weber this year would have a stellar year. After yesterday I'm not so sure. At times he looked like the same old Weber. Happy feet and being locked on the first receiver. He's needs to step it up if this team is going to have a suprisingly good season.

If 10-12 completions down the stretch is terrible, then give me some more of that. He wasn't great (looked terrible early on) and took some sacks he shouldn't have but when looking at the whole game, I would say he was pretty average. Not great but not terrible either.

I watched the game last night and was impressed with Duane Bennett's ability to bounce off first hits and extend the play. To be honest, I thought Adam Weber looked terrible. The one bright spot for him was no interceptions. Nonetheless, congrats on the victory.

Thank you and please ignore the previous responses by other posters. This board is plagued by Kool Aid drinkers. Adam Weber is not talented or bright enough to play any position in any sport at any University in any universe anywhere in the space time continuum. He is the worst football player I have ever seen.

Your observations on Weber are keen. To wit, a top NFL quarterback coach commented on Adam Weber as a freshmen (when he was actually making some plays): "nice kid, can't play."

Thank you and please ignore the previous responses by other posters. This board is plagued by Kool Aid drinkers. Adam Weber is not talented or bright enough to play any position in any sport at any University in any universe anywhere in the space time continuum. He is the worst football player I have ever seen.

Your observations on Weber are keen. To wit, a top NFL quarterback coach commented on Adam Weber as a freshmen (when he was actually making some plays): "nice kid, can't play."

:rolleyes:

You're getting dangerously close to making the Goldy water skiing list Pete. :)

Athlete playing quarterback

Talking to MTSU fans in the stands, I think what most people notice in Weber is that he is not a natural throwing the ball. He's very robotic, like he thinks through every movement before it happens. Not saying Kilgore is better in anyway, but it was easy to see from the stands that he is much more natural at the position. Weber, like Gray, looks like an athlete playing quarterback, not a natural QB.
He's got a little of the Tarvaris Jackson disease, collar gets tight when its game time. Seems to be fine in practice, but in games he gets very nervous, won't set his feet and often gets himself into more trouble than necessary. I don't think this is completely his fault, he's been pressured relentlessly most of his career. Hopefully this goes away some when we play teams with a slower rush or our pass protection gets better.
He made some key plays last night and hopefully his confidence will build off of that. He'll have to play lights-out in conference for us to win many.

He'd make a nice TE though according to some posters...

I would agree that this board is full of Kool-aid drinkers but rivals.com is much worse. Everyone on that site loves Brewster. I one thing I appreciated about Gopherhole is the willingness to let posters speak their peace.

The USC game will really show us how far or not this team has come. I still think this year will be a long year but I hope I'm wrong. Time will only tell

If 10-12 completions down the stretch is terrible, then give me some more of that. He wasn't great (looked terrible early on) and took some sacks he shouldn't have but when looking at the whole game, I would say he was pretty average. Not great but not terrible either.

Yeah, Weber was shaky early, but with the 2nd half he had not sure why all the hand wringing. It was the first game. I expect Weber to be much more fluid next week.

Although they likely will try to steamroll USD on the ground, I'm kinda hoping this coming week will feature the passing game. My two reasons for this are 1) Weber needs some early season confidence 2) it will make it a tiny bit tougher for USC to prepare for us if they think we can pass as well as run.

Having said that... ill take a ground-game steamrolling of the opposition any day.

Weber didn't look very good at all, but when push came to shove, he made the biggest play of the game by sidestepping an unblocked blitzer, stepping up, and firing a strike to McKnight on the 3rd and 12 conversion on the final drive. That is what a senior QB is supposed to do.

Weber didn't look very good at all, but when push came to shove, he made the biggest play of the game by sidestepping an unblocked blitzer, stepping up, and firing a strike to McKnight on the 3rd and 12 conversion on the final drive. That is what a senior QB is supposed to do.

Yeah, you would think "the worst football player I have ever seen" couldn't make that kind of a play.

Weber made plays when he absolutely had to but I expected more from a 4th year starter against a porous MTSU defense. As a fan of traditional big10 power running football, it was nice to see Minnesota go back to establishing the run first and passing second.

Weber made plays when he absolutely had to but I expected more from a 4th year starter against a porous MTSU defense. As a fan of traditional big10 power running football, it was nice to see Minnesota go back to establishing the run first and passing second.

I think we all expect more out of Weber. I think most agree that it wasn't a great game for him. But some people are acting like he was absolutely awful which he wasn't. He was bad early on but then played descent the rest of the way. He made a few plays when we needed him to.

I'm not saying we should accept his mediocre play, but trust me, our QB situation could be much worse.

Weber made plays when he absolutely had to but I expected more from a 4th year starter against a porous MTSU defense.

I think those not jumping off a ledge would agree with you. Personally, I'm just tired of the bench Weber chants this early one. I'm just not willing to freak out just yet. :)

1. A Gopher Board has Gopher optimists, and that's a "plague"?

2. Adam Weber is not only "not bright enough" to play any sport ( he's already got his degree), but "He is the WORST football player" you have ever seen?

Hyperbole, satire, just an attempt to stir things-up or are you really trying to sound like an idiot?

Some definitions:

Kool-Aid Drinker (n): A fan.

Homer (n): A fan.

Worst football player you've ever seen??? Good grief.:rolleyes:

Weber is not great, but not the worst by any stretch. He reminds me of the golfer (like myself), who hits it great on the driving range, but once they step onto the course, the nerves tighten up a bit, and those nice natural swings somewhat melt away to a stiffer more mechanical motion. Trust me, it's frustrating!

Nice game gophers. Weber did what he was supposed to do....Think about this. He made some great throws when he really needed to, he didnt throw any interceptions, he managed the game and the gophers won. Bottom line, it could have been a lot worse. I also think they are smart to not leave it in his hands to win or loose. It's a team sport afterall, weber has a lot of game experience and should be able to manage the team. It was a good win. Nice work.

I am not a Weber fan, but to say he is the worst player you have ever seen is a stretch, IMO, although I dont know how much CFB you have watched. I do not think he is a good B10 QB, but I think he is better than some...

Top Bottom