"Concept Offense"

KoolAid

Red Drank Brewmaster
Reaction score
From Fuller's blog:

New offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch has already made an impression on Weber and his fellow quarterbacks Gray, redshirt freshman John Nance and walk-on Adam Lueck.

"He really wants you to grasp the offense," Weber said. "He expects a lot out of the quarterbacks. I think he's a great coach for us right now. I think his offense will allow us to take it to the next level. It's a lot of play-action. It's a little more player friendly. It will allow the quarterback to make a lot of plays and bring this time down the field to score points."

Fisch explained what he thought Weber meant by a "player-friendly" offense.

"I think what he means is it's a concept system," he said. "If you understand a concept, you just need to plug yourself into that concept. Once we get to the point where everybody has a good grasp of those concepts, we should be in pretty good shape."

This was very refreshing to read. I always had the feeling that most of the players did not understand the spread offense that Dunbar put in place. It was some massive playbook were he just had everyone memorize their route/assignment but not really know why they were doing it. It sounds like Fisch is really working on "teaching" an offense so that players understand how a play will work. Kids need to understand that specific plays have different objectives. Maybe one play is to flood a side of the field or one play is designed to open everything underneath. Did you ever notice last year that every time a passing play broke down, recievers had no idea where to go. Hopefully they are now in an offense where everyone is on the same page. If Weber picks up and understands the offense, he could have a huge year.

IMO that is the way an offense should run. You can draw up all the plays you want but if the offense is just a collection of plays and not a system the players won't execute it as well. The ability of a coach to get players to execute an offense is more important the a coaches ability to scheme.

Top Bottom