Competing w/ Colorado for a coach

Doogie

Reaction score
Colorado was up 45-17 early in the 4th quarter at Kansas... Kansas won 52-45... Mason-like meltdown by Col. I have to believe that Hawkins will be let go tomorrow... if not tomorrow, then when their regular season ends.

Who will guys like Sumlin, Golden, Calhoun, Edsall, Mullen, etc. like more if the $$ is close to the same?

I thought the word on Colorado was with their Big XII buyout they couldn't afford to buyout Hawkins until after 2011?

They can't let him coach this time next year, can they? They'll summon some big-time boosters, someone, anyone, to help pay his buyout.

I think the Colorado job is less appealing than ours. The Buffs have been unable to compete in the Big 12 North, now they move to the Pac-10 with USC, UCLA, ASU and Arizona. They will fare worse in that division then they will in the Big 12. I am not sure this job is any more appealing then the Gopher job.

They can't let him coach this time next year, can they? They'll summon some big-time boosters, someone, anyone, to help pay his buyout.
Well the buyout prior to this season was reportedly $3M. Since his deal runs through 2012 they'll probably still have to come up with $2M. $2M + the Big XII buyout + the cash for one of those head coaches on your list is a pretty major outlay. I don't know if they've got the cattle in the barn at this point.

edit: Not to mention any settlements they're still paying off from the Barnett era!

Calhoun is the obvious choice in Boulder. Unless they are like Minnesota and are going over the top for Eric Bienemy or Trey Parker and Matt Stone because they "gets Colorado".

Hawkins is toast. Rumored that Bill McCartney will come back as an interim, and Eric Bieniemy will coordinate for 1 year and then take over at HC after that. Also rumored that the AD at Colorado is looking to get out and has been interviewing. Bieniemy played at Colorado with KGM's dad. Wonder if KGM will think about transferring back home if this happens?

Doogie

Who will guys like Sumlin, Golden, Calhoun, Edsall, Mullen, etc. like more if the $$ is close to the same?

Doogie, are these really the leading candidates from your research to be the next Gopher coach?

Why is Edsall a candidate at all? Mullen has certainly not proven anything. He is very similar to Brewster with two years experience...he could be anything. It's too early to know.

Hawkins is toast. Rumored that Bill McCartney will come back as an interim, and Eric Bieniemy will coordinate for 1 year and then take over at HC after that. Also rumored that the AD at Colorado is looking to get out and has been interviewing. Bieniemy played at Colorado with KGM's dad. Wonder if KGM will think about transferring back home if this happens?

Heard this same take with Paul Finebaum the other day... it's interesting, and makes sense.

Doogie, are these really the leading candidates from your research to be the next Gopher coach?

Why is Edsall a candidate at all? Mullen has certainly not proven anything. He is very similar to Brewster with two years experience...he could be anything. It's too early to know.

Only things I know are: Sumlin clearly is interested... and the search firm is digging around on Edsall & Mullen... I have no idea if Maturi/Bruininks have interest in them, although you would think that if Mullen wants to come here, they'd welcome him with open arms.

In a somewhat-related situation, Texas A&M just got done beating Oklahoma, giving Mike Sherman a bit of a reprieve. They are 3-2 in the Big 12, but have Baylor and Nebraska on successive weekends (followed by the rivalry game with Texas on Thanksgiving Day). Curious to see what record he has to have to stay.

In a somewhat-related situation, Texas A&M just got done beating Oklahoma, giving Mike Sherman a bit of a reprieve. They are 3-2 in the Big 12, but have Baylor and Nebraska on successive weekends (followed by the rivalry game with Texas on Thanksgiving Day). Curious to see what record he has to have to stay.

My father taught at TAMU for 20 years. Great football traditions, but their psychotic fanbase is living in the past. They've run more coaches out of town there than just about anyone. They haven't been relevant since Jackie Sherrill, and that's rounding up. That said, everyone should see a game at Kyle field once in their life. In some ways its the equivalent to seeing an NFL game at Lambeau (without the binge drinking and freezing your azz off). And the Aggies have the best marching band in CFB, hands down.

My cousin works at TAMU and I'm headed that way for his daughers wedding next weekend. I know the Aggies will still be celebrating the win over the Sooners. There is not doubt Kyle Field was a madhouse tonight. I saw the Aggie - Longhorn game at Kyle Field a few years back and that was a lot of fun.

The same university that once employed Barnett will now put McCarney at the helm?

Induct them into the NOW hall of fame right now.

I agree, Colorado would be a more difficult program to build because not only are they in a pro market but there are Div 1 college programs there to compete with for fan and media attention.

The same university that once employed Barnett will now put McCarney at the helm?

Induct them into the NOW hall of fame right now.

McCartney won a national championship at CU in 1990.

If Colorado is really planning that, it's going to be a disaster. McCartney is near/over 70 and hasn't coached in years. Biennemy's resume is about the same as Brewster's. And while he's been solid for the Vikings, he'll always be first known for causing 12 men on the field. I think a case of buyer's remorse on Josh McDaniels is weighing too heavily on folks there. Mike Shanahan isn't riding back in on a white horse and McCartney can't magically fix what's wrong at CU either.

I don't believe they will go this route. That said, I believe MN is a pretty equal job and can get their. I would prefer we jump Bellotti and not give them a chance though.

McCartney won a national championship at CU in 1990.
Oh you guys are talking about that super creepy Bill McCartney dude behind Promise Keepers. Ugh.

The point still stands. They're a shining beacon of male domination over women.

Anyways that scenario seems far fetched then.

Nobody's addressed the most salient question. Will Bill be bringing his daughter to Boulder with him?

The other issue that was brought up today on one of the radio shows, is that Colorado and Utah, as part of the deal with the Pac-10, will not be getting a full share of revenue from the league for several years, meaning CU is actually going to be making less money in the short term than they would had they chosen to stay in the Big 12. They really might not have the money to buy out Hawkins, unless some major booster comes through with a donation.

Top Bottom