Committed Recruits (2012) Update Thread

CrocShots

Not Minnesota Nice
Reaction score
I stole this idea from GPL, but I think we should be keeping tabs on our recruits like Getthemall has done over in the Miami 4 thread. It would be much more constructive of us to talk about these things instead of the incessant bitching that has become the hole.

With that: for those of you who have attended high school games, what have you thought so far? If anyone has a Scout or Rivals account, it would be awesome to get some of that perspective as well.

Getthemall has all the details out of Miami Central. I think that he should get his own FRONT PAGE story every week with updates on his son and friends.

He said today that Coach Miller was just in Miami and talked with Dee Joyner about his committment status, according to Getthemall, Dee is not all that happy with WVU and will be talking with the Miami 4 in a few weeks about the U.

I'll try to do a little one about the MN kids this weekend sometime. I follow HS football pretty closely. I haven't seen Pirsig or Williams play, but I know some people who have...

your report would be greatly appreciated. I do not get to see many games at all and any input is better than what I have now.

I'll try to do a little one about the MN kids this weekend sometime. I follow HS football pretty closely. I haven't seen Pirsig or Williams play, but I know some people who have...

Bob - Would really like to see some info on the Minnesota kids.

RT @PBDonny QB Philip Nelson is 17 of 23 for 229 yards & 3 TDs at half.:D

Media/Press

I wish the press would give the football program a break sometimes. Yes, freedom of
speech and all that... I get it, but when your trying hard to pull yourself up by the boot straps all the piling on hurts recruiting!!!

Is it true that in 2008 or 09 we did not recruit any O linemen? Wow!

Here's how I see it. 2012 = 2-3 wins
2013 = 3-4 wins
2014 = 4-6 wins Hope I'm wrong and it's more.

Is it true that in 2008 or 09 we did not recruit any O linemen? Wow!

No.

True for 2008, false for 2009. 2009 included: Josh Campion, Eric Jacques, Brooks Michel, Ed Olson, Jeff Wills. Still not a very big number of O Linemen.

Gentlemen...

dep_5422229-Stay-on-topic-in-letterpress-type.jpg

Mitch Leidner: I've only seen him play twice and he is kind of an interesting guy. He is pretty big and strong. He's listed at 6'4" 220lbs and I think he is every bit of that. I think he is interesting because I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ended up at DE or TE. I know, I know...he made an impression on Kill at the 7 on 7 passing league. So i'm not guessing on it or trying to say where I think he will end up, I'm just saying, he could easily put on weight and become 6'5" 250lbs. But, he has a really big arm. So big that some of his incomplete passes were just HS receivers not being accustomed to someone throwing the ball so hard. When he has time, he's deadly. This season he has had mostly good games. He struggled against Lakeville North, their only loss. He was 10-20 130 yards, 1 TD and 2 Int (per mnfootballhub).

He has a really impressive arm and he's had a good SR season. He could certainly stay at QB but he has a big enough frame to play elsewhere and he plays like a pretty tough kid.

Isaac Hayes: He's good. I've only seen Nelson once and i've seen Isaac Hayes a few times, but for me, I think he is the most impressive player in MN. He's just a freak athlete, so athletic that you almost question his size (it's an optical illusion), until you see him up close and he does have legitimate size. I think he'll be the most athletic Gopher OL since Eslinger. He's so athletic, I kind of think he might be a more natural DT. We are so thin at OL, I gotta think he'll stay at G, but he kind of has that DT explosiveness.

Nick Rallis: I believe he is out for the rest of his season with a seperated shoulder. He played all over the place on offense. On defense, they called him a S but I think he played more LB and I think he'll play LB at the U. He is a big hitter. I don't know if he is athletic enough to play S at the college level and he doesn't have quite as big of a frame as his brother (just me sort of trying to imagine him after a few years with college strength and conditioning). But he plays mean. I'm sure most of you have seen his youtube, but I attached it, it's probably the best way to describe him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLKeHmKMkG4

Phil Nelson: Gaudy stats. He has been incredible this season throwing and running playing in first halves. It isn't the toughest conference so you can't really compare his stats with Leidner's stats.

His stats this season will probably end up being something like 66% 35 TD 3 INT and 900 rushing and 12 TD (including the playoffs). You couldn't ask for much more in terms of production (keep in mind, I don't know if he has taken a 4th quarter snap this season). He looks ideal right now, good size, accurate passer, can definitely run but is a pass 1st guy.

Jonah Pirsig: This is from what others have told me. He is gigantic and athletic. The descriptions kind of remind me of Jimmy Gjere (tall, athletic kid, who has HUGE upside but will need some development). I don't think i've talked to anyone who has seen him play that didn't think he was going to be extremely good but I don't know think anyone think's he would be effective right away. That's not to rip on him, some great bookend LTs have needed a few years of grooming. It's hard to grow into a 6'9" 300lbs frame. I'd expect this kid to RS and probably not a play a ton until he is a RS SO, and he'll probably play at 6'9"325-330, and still be light on his feet. He really has NFL potential.

Maxx Williams: I can't remember where i've heard it, but I heard he is REALLY bulking up and might be 6'4" 235 by next football season. He plays everywhere for Waconia. He's played quite a bit of QB, TE, WR and plays LB. He has been pretty banged up this season. Waconia isn't a great football team either, so his numbers don't look that good. He is a kid who will have a real chance to play early here. He's said they have looked at him at TE / H-Back but I think he is big enough to play DE too (if they like him there better). The thing everyone says when they see him play is that he's tough. His team is 2-5 I believe, and they've struggled.

Solid write-up. Definitely stoked about Hayes and Nelson.

Yeah, it's not really anything new and i'm no expert. I was really stoked about this class for a couple years and I think all the guys we got are really good. Nelson, Hayes and Pirsig could be special and Ithink Leidner, Rallis and Williams are all going to be starting caliber players as well. I'm a MN rube though, so i'm probably bias.

I attended the Blue Earth Area vs Fairmont game tonight. Fairmont won 15-13. Fairmont returned opening kickoff 85 yards for a TD, went for 2 and led 8-0. BEA scored on last play of the 1st half, when for 2 and failed. 8-6 at half. Fairmont scored on a pass play in third quarter, kicked XPT led 15-6. BEA scored on a running play with 6 minutes left, kicked PAT. Score 15-13 Fairmont.

Jonah Pirsig BEA #74 listed in program at 6-9 300. Jonah plays left tackle when BEA is in a balanced line. Moves to right tackle when they go over balanced and lines up to the right of Sam Lee (#75 6-5 300) the right tackle. Jonah moves extremely well, showed very good drive blocking on running plays, appeared to pass block very good as well. I also saw BEA play 1st game of season against USC, Fairmont much better than USC. I was much more impressed with Jonah's play tonight. The three other lineman for BEA are 6-1 240, 6-2 260, & 6-0 240; they were wearing FMT down in the 4th quarter. BEA's 4th quarter TD was all running plays to the left over Pirsig, he was out for the last 3 or 4 plays of the drive as he got dinged up. Did come back in to play after the TD on defense and appeared to be OK. Jonah plays left tackle on defense and shows very good penetration and lateral movement. On one passing play he put excellent pressure on the QB, showing good speed forcing a throw out of bounds. Also forced ball carrier on several plays to run wide into LBs. Plays defense but best as an offensive lineman. He is the real deal, needs to become more agressive.

Sam Lee - plays right tackle and nose tackle. I didn't notice him as much tonight as in 1st game. In 1st game he probably stood out more than Pirsig. BEA ran most of running plays to the left behind Pirsig, maybe why Lee was not as noticable tonight. Lee looks like a football player as well. Fairmont has a very good 220 pound tailback that had over 100 yards tonight but they had no success running up the middle against Lee. Lee is the more agressive.

Both Pirsig and Lee carry their weight well, they are not over weight 300 pounders. Lee is the type of Minnesota lineman that we would like to have walkon if he does not get a scholarship offer. He could develop but already has other offers.

I figured we would lose out on either McDonald or Pirsig from this class but I'm glad we have Pirsig on board. It all starts up front.

Does anybody know how Charles Webb is doing this year?

Nick Rallis: I believe he is out for the rest of his season with a seperated shoulder. He played all over the place on offense. On defense, they called him a S but I think he played more LB and I think he'll play LB at the U. He is a big hitter. I don't know if he is athletic enough to play S at the college level and he doesn't have quite as big of a frame as his brother (just me sort of trying to imagine him after a few years with college strength and conditioning). But he plays mean. I'm sure most of you have seen his youtube, but I attached it, it's probably the best way to describe him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLKeHmKMkG4
You know what I like about that video? He's a very good tackler, he's got great form, he's not one of those guys who just throws a shoulder at somebody and hopes they go down. It'll be interesting to see where they play him.

You know what I like about that video? He's a very good tackler, he's got great form, he's not one of those guys who just throws a shoulder at somebody and hopes they go down. It'll be interesting to see where they play him.

I'd think he'll probably redshirt and then be a solid special teamer. He's got a nice motor on him. It's really hard to get any sort of form tackling because in college (and especially the pros), the game gets so much faster and it just gets to the point where you bring someone down by any means necessary.

I'd think he'll probably redshirt and then be a solid special teamer. He's got a nice motor on him. It's really hard to get any sort of form tackling because in college (and especially the pros), the game gets so much faster and it just gets to the point where you bring someone down by any means necessary.

It really depends on how large he can get. If he can get to 230 lbs, I don't see special teams as his ceiling. He looks really comfortable playing in space and could certainly become a starting caliber OLB.

I don't understand saying that special teams is his ceiling at all. Isn't he one of the gopher's highest rated recruits this year?

It really depends on how large he can get. If he can get to 230 lbs, I don't see special teams as his ceiling. He looks really comfortable playing in space and could certainly become a starting caliber OLB.

I guess I meant that he would come in after his redshirt year and be a special teamer right away. There's no doubt he could be a starter if he bulks up quite a bit. It's tough to judge though because size-wize he's a bit small.

And no he isn't one of our highest rated recruits.

I guess I meant that he would come in after his redshirt year and be a special teamer right away. There's no doubt he could be a starter if he bulks up quite a bit. It's tough to judge though because size-wize he's a bit small.

Living near the Arizona State campus I have seen several undersized Sun Devils excel at the LB spot. While size is nice, it's not everything.

http://www.realclearsports.com/lists/nfl_draft_stock_combine/adam_archuleta.html
http://www.thesundevils.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/tillman_pat00.html

My fault, he is one of our three-star recruits, but not the highest of them in rankings.

I attended the Blue Earth Area vs Fairmont game tonight. Fairmont won 15-13. Fairmont returned opening kickoff 85 yards for a TD, went for 2 and led 8-0. BEA scored on last play of the 1st half, when for 2 and failed. 8-6 at half. Fairmont scored on a pass play in third quarter, kicked XPT led 15-6. BEA scored on a running play with 6 minutes left, kicked PAT. Score 15-13 Fairmont.

Jonah Pirsig BEA #74 listed in program at 6-9 300. Jonah plays left tackle when BEA is in a balanced line. Moves to right tackle when they go over balanced and lines up to the right of Sam Lee (#75 6-5 300) the right tackle. Jonah moves extremely well, showed very good drive blocking on running plays, appeared to pass block very good as well. I also saw BEA play 1st game of season against USC, Fairmont much better than USC. I was much more impressed with Jonah's play tonight. The three other lineman for BEA are 6-1 240, 6-2 260, & 6-0 240; they were wearing FMT down in the 4th quarter. BEA's 4th quarter TD was all running plays to the left over Pirsig, he was out for the last 3 or 4 plays of the drive as he got dinged up. Did come back in to play after the TD on defense and appeared to be OK. Jonah plays left tackle on defense and shows very good penetration and lateral movement. On one passing play he put excellent pressure on the QB, showing good speed forcing a throw out of bounds. Also forced ball carrier on several plays to run wide into LBs. Plays defense but best as an offensive lineman. He is the real deal, needs to become more agressive.

Sam Lee - plays right tackle and nose tackle. I didn't notice him as much tonight as in 1st game. In 1st game he probably stood out more than Pirsig. BEA ran most of running plays to the left behind Pirsig, maybe why Lee was not as noticable tonight. Lee looks like a football player as well. Fairmont has a very good 220 pound tailback that had over 100 yards tonight but they had no success running up the middle against Lee. Lee is the more agressive.

Both Pirsig and Lee carry their weight well, they are not over weight 300 pounders. Lee is the type of Minnesota lineman that we would like to have walkon if he does not get a scholarship offer. He could develop but already has other offers.

I was also at the game. It was great to see Coach Kill and Limegrover there, too. Pirsig is really impressive from a physical standpoint. The kid is a man beast. But he plays soft against kids who are much smaller. Didn't see him have many pancake blocks. Didn't see him throw anyone around or drive a defensive player to the ground. Really needs to play more aggressive. While playing D-end, he would lock arms with the Fairmont o-linemen, and stand up to look around to find where the ball was. You could tell he did not have a defensive mentality. While he made some plays on D, with his size and strength he could have made many more. The life was sucked out of the BEA fans when he went down in the 4th with a leg injury. Was helped off, left ankle was taped and he came back in. He does have a chance to be really good IF he gets more aggressive.

Did not watch Lee much, but when I did he was good. He COULD maybe play DT as well. More aggressive than Pirsig. Should be offered IMO.

Fairmont's D was pretty good all night. Good gang tackling and did not give up many big gains on the ground. BEA rushing was 42-160 or something like that. When they did have bigger gains is was over Pirsig and Lee when they were on the same side. Otherwise Fairmont's d-line took it to the other lineman. It was a great game and it was good to see Fairmont keeping the Little Brown Jug and home where is belongs (Fairmont grad if you couldn't tell)

Thanks to the all the contributors. I don't get to see much high school football. For those who have seen Isaac Hayes, could he carry 300 pounds or would that be a push?

Great analysis, thanks for the post.

Go Gophers!!

Isaac Hayes could carry 300 pounds, but I don't know if he necessarily needs to. He's got a good burst and can probably create enough force without the weight.

Rallis is an interesting player. Saw him play twice last year. He doesn't really translate to safety in high college ball, but he doesn't look to be big enough to play linebacker either. BUT, he was easily the best player on the field the times I saw him play. He'll contribute somewhere, I'm just not quite sure where. I think he plays with more of a motor than Mike does. Maybe he does end up at safety though. Excited to have him.

Thanks to the all the contributors. I don't get to see much high school football. For those who have seen Isaac Hayes, could he carry 300 pounds or would that be a push?

It's hard to tell. He is the kind of guy who really holds his weight well, so i'm sure he'll always weigh more than he actually looks. I'd guess he will be playing here at around 285ish in a couple years, so 295 wouldn't be much of a stretch. I'd guess he could end up being right at 300 lbs when he graduates.

Isaac Hayes could carry 300 pounds, but I don't know if he necessarily needs to. He's got a good burst and can probably create enough force without the weight.

Rallis is an interesting player. Saw him play twice last year. He doesn't really translate to safety in high college ball, but he doesn't look to be big enough to play linebacker either. BUT, he was easily the best player on the field the times I saw him play. He'll contribute somewhere, I'm just not quite sure where. I think he plays with more of a motor than Mike does. Maybe he does end up at safety though. Excited to have him.

Yeah, that's how I see it with Rallis too KoolAid. He doesn't seem to have quite the same frame as Mike but I also just can't see him being a S in college. A lot will depend on how much weight he can put on. If he can get to 230 lbs and not lose much in terms of agility, I think he has a chance to be REALLY good.

Top Bottom