Commits putting their faith in Fleck

Do you remember the great list of offers those kids had?

You're right. I am willing to discount Kill/Claeys allotment of offers and blindly fall in line with Fleck's decades of talent evaluation.

Oh No! You mean we would have missed out on 5 Western Michigan recruits? Kill's first two weeks he got Cobb, Wells and Thompson. Care to wager which group will be more successful?

You ready to say all 6 will suck?

Not at all. Upon review of their careers, it was clear that Kill/Claeys were adept at identifying talent. It's a hard art. Not sure Fleck has it. First year did Kill extend open scholarship offers to all NIU recruits? NO. because he knew it took more to compete. Fleck would be wise to save some dry powder for his awesome recruiting abilities.

Kill took several recruits with him that had committed to NIU or he was recruiting while he was there. He'll need players better than he would have landed at WMU, but with a few weeks left he's best of getting guys he knows will fit his system and that he's thought were good enough to play for him before rather than starting from scratch.

The man just took a MAC team to the Cotton Bowl with his recruits and lost in a one possession game to a top 10 team.

I'm going to trust that he knows talent better then the naysayers here.

There are worse problems to have than what we might see here.

National Signing Day is still 3 or so weeks away.

Still...not the Titanic...which is a good thing.

I am fine with Fleck doing it, but I'll say this, I can't remember a coach gutting his previous program this bad.

This seems like a lot. It looks like WMU might lose 12 guys and we have offers out to like 3 more guys who are thinking on it. That's a lot of people. Kill took 2, and I'd say 2-4 is about average.

I don't know how I feel about it, but this is more than typical

If i remember Holtz took about three including Tony Rice

I am fine with Fleck doing it, but I'll say this, I can't remember a coach gutting his previous program this bad.

This seems like a lot. It looks like WMU might lose 12 guys and we have offers out to like 3 more guys who are thinking on it. That's a lot of people. Kill took 2, and I'd say 2-4 is about average.

That's because there's a large disparity between the talent that was coming in there compared to here. Western Michigan was ranked 20 spots higher than MN and the next closest non P5 school. Usually that doesn't happen when upgrading to a P5 school. That's why the move needed to be made.

The SI reporter on with Barreiro today said Fleck will rub some people the wrong way and he doesn't care. Guess this is just part of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's because there's a large disparity between the talent that was coming in there compared to here. Western Michigan was ranked 20 spots higher than MN and the next closest non P5 school. Usually that doesn't happen when upgrading to a P5 school. That's why the move needed to be made.

No, there really wasn't.

I'm not ripping on the recruits, but every single one of these players best offer was the Gophers.

Our average ranking was about the same as WMU (I think ours was a little higher).

I'm not condemning the move, I was merely saying this is atypical and goes beyond the "this happens everywhere". I'm cool with it, I'm a Gopher fan.

Oh No! You mean we would have missed out on 5 Western Michigan recruits? Kill's first two weeks he got Cobb, Wells and Thompson. Care to wager which group will be more successful?

No dum dum, cause that's not a reasonable wager.... troll on though honey. Hope I'm late on calling you out... gd

No, there really wasn't.

I'm not ripping on the recruits, but every single one of these players best offer was the Gophers.

Our average ranking was about the same as WMU (I think ours was a little higher).

I'm not condemning the move, I was merely saying this is atypical and goes beyond the "this happens everywhere". I'm cool with it, I'm a Gopher fan.

To be fair though, not many of Claeys commits had any better offers. I don't know if this normal or not. I'd have to look at some other situations. Geography might be a factor too, if Fleck had taken a job further away perhaps that would discourage some of the kids. Just one idea.

No, there really wasn't.

I don't know how you figure that. Is a Gopher offer better than one from Louisville?

I did and a few guys had multiple P5 offers.
Looking at the rankings, WMU musta been looking at pretty much the same type of players the Gophs were, and Indiana, et all. On his first day?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Truth hurts.

I thought there was an unwritten rule that coaches don't take kids committed to the school that they left when taking a new job. Seems classless. Really puts WMU in a bad spot. Great way to say thank you for them giving him his first HC opportunity.
Do you really think it would be fair for those kids to have to play at WMU after the coach that they committed to is not there? That sounds horrible

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You're right. I am willing to discount Kill/Claeys allotment of offers and blindly fall in line with Fleck's decades of talent evaluation.

Why are you so worried about Kill? He quit on us, we didnt quit on him.

Truth hurts.

I thought there was an unwritten rule that coaches don't take kids committed to the school that they left when taking a new job. Seems classless. Really puts WMU in a bad spot. Great way to say thank you for them giving him his first HC opportunity.

Well the kids wanted to play for him...was he supposed to tell them no....you have to play for WMU?

TC was a good guy who would have had us in the middle of the B1G West for years. If that is what your goals are....he's your guy. If he would have been able to win the West....last year was the year to do it....since we didn't play Michigan, TOSU and MSU. We would have always been looking up at Wisconsin, and probably Nebraska, Iowa and even Northwestern most years. No wonder ticket sales have been so putrid. Thankfully we have a new coach (and administration) who have bigger goals and I believe the ability to get us there. The shape of the program today is so much brighter than it was a week ago. Go Gophers!!!

Whoa, whoa, whoa he didn't quit on "us", his poor health quit on "us". When this was going down I felt bad for everybody involved.

May be one of the most callous, ignorant and idiotic posts I've seen on GH- and that's saying something. Congrats db

Yeah, but it's still impressive that they are committing this quickly to it.

Impressive they are committing quickly, sure, but these aren't players that represent a significant upgrade over what we're were already bringing in. If he likes them, great, at the same time, Mr. Coyle tells me this is an upgrade, and he never lies, so looking forward to the upgrade.

Actually Mr. Kaler's crack hire "Mega-Tongue" went down, and Kaler pushed Kill into double duty to cover Kaler's ass (seems like a theme here). If anybody quit on anybody, Kaler quit on Kill.

Impressive they are committing quickly, sure, but these aren't players that represent a significant upgrade over what we're were already bringing in. If he likes them, great, at the same time, Mr. Coyle tells me this is an upgrade, and he never lies, so looking forward to the upgrade.

Good point. It is fascinating that so many fans of a 9-4 Big Ten team would be so giddy over poaching recruits from a MAC school.

Look who he works for. It's a part of the new culture. Integrity is for losers.

That said...the world is changing. Kids should not commit to a coach but a school. I get that, but the sport and landscape has changed. And so has the expectations these kids are raised with. This is the new reality. If these kids want to follow Fleck, and he likes them, and isn't doing illegal to accomplish it, or is doing something that lacks integrity (accepting a phone call and saying "yes" does not qualify to me as lacking integrity). The u and this program have problems that PJ can't solve no matter how many games he wins or doesn't. This, however is not one of them.

Fleck was out recruiting his school and conference...not surprised so many would come with him or jump ship.

Good point. It is fascinating that so many fans of a 9-4 Big Ten team would be so giddy over poaching recruits from a MAC school.

Its not necessarily the specific recruits people are excited about. Its the time in the recruiting period that its being done. This class needs to get filled out quickly...and he's doing that, by bringing in guys who fit his mantra.

Top Bottom