Commitment! Darius Taylor

Quite familiar with Walled Lake Western. They were our foes in the MI state championship way back when, which we lost. Also the district my nephews are now in. Strong program.

In his interview clip, he states that one of his factors in his decision was clicking with "Bucky" who we now know is in the portal and gone.
Forgot about that. Hopefully the culture is enough to keep him.

He said one of the reasons he committed was Bucky, I think we are F'ed on this one.

He said one of the reasons he committed was Bucky, I think we are F'ed on this one.
He committed because he got along with a dude for a weekend? No way that was a major factor. Taylor should be glad he is leaving, more opportunity for himself.

He committed because he got along with a dude for a weekend? No way that was a major factor. Taylor should be glad he is leaving, more opportunity for himself.
Yeah, I know some look for reasons to panic but this one is stretching a little thin. Unless I am missing some deep bond between a 2021 RB from Illinois and a 2023 RB from Michigan that goes beyond a recruiting visit.

Yeah, I know some look for reasons to panic but this one is stretching a little thin. Unless I am missing some deep bond between a 2021 RB from Illinois and a 2023 RB from Michigan that goes beyond a recruiting visit.

On his interview after the commit, Taylor mentioned meeting Bucky on his visit and wanting to continue that friendship. But, like you said, some posters are really reaching and looking for any potential doomsday scenario with this transfer. I'm sure Taylor didn't make his college decision based around a 2-day connection with another player.

On his interview after the commit, Taylor mentioned meeting Bucky on his visit and wanting to continue that friendship. But, like you said, some posters are really reaching and looking for any potential doomsday scenario with this transfer. I'm sure Taylor didn't make his college decision based around a 2-day connection with another player.
No doubt recruits are going to feel a bond with the player that hosts them on their visit, that is only natural when going to a place where you don't know anyone else.

But I will be very surprised if Bucky leaving has any real impact on Taylor's decision to honor his commitment or not when signing day rolls around.

Darius Taylor had a productive junior season for Walled Lake (Mich.) Western High School, rushing for 1,380 yards and 26 touchdowns and adding 650 receiving yards. This season, he's on pace to blow those numbers away.

Through two games, Taylor, who has committed to the Gophers, has rushed for 542 yards and eight touchdowns for the Warriors. The 5-11, 187-pounder is a three-star recruit who's the 34th-ranked running back nationally and the No. 12 overall recruit in Michigan for the Class of 2023 in the 247Sports composite of major recruiting services.

Taylor started his season with a bang, rushing 27 times for a school-record 345 yards and six touchdowns on runs of 44, 2, 17, 82, 36 and 1 yards in a 47-26 win over South Lyon. He added 42 receiving yards, finishing 13 short of 400 total yards. He followed that up by carrying 32 times for 157 yards and two TDs in a 16-12 win over Walled Lake Northern.

Taylor isn't the only Gophers recruit playing for Walled Lake Western. Quarterback Drew Viotto also has committed to Minnesota. He has completed 14 of 26 passes for 282 yards this season.

Go Gophers!!

Pretty impressive rb talents being brought in. The rb room needs some restocking after this year. I wonder if they add a transfer to bring in some more experience.

Pretty impressive rb talents being brought in. The rb room needs some restocking after this year. I wonder if they add a transfer to bring in some more experience.

They will have:

Potts
Bryce Williams (technically has another year if he wants to come back)
Evans (likely a redshirt frosh)
Taylor (true frosh)
Marquese Williams (true frosh)
Jordan Nubin (walk-on getting carries this year)
Max Grand (walk-on getting carries this year)

I'd say whether you take a transfer depends on whether Bryce Williams returns, but that's an awful lot of young talent getting bumped down if you take a transfer. Given what happened with Ky and Bucky, any transfer would have to be a one-year only guy, IMO

They will have:

Potts
Taylor (true frosh)

I'd say whether you take a transfer depends on whether Bryce Williams returns, but that's an awful lot of young talent getting bumped down if you take a transfer. Given what happened with Ky and Bucky, any transfer would have to be a one-year only guy, IMO
I forgot Williams has one more year. That may be ok if Bryce comes back, otherwise not sure we’d want to rely on true freshmen and walk-ons for a third rb. We’ll see how much experience Evans gets this year. I just think a veteran might help, not saying you cement him in front of the young guys though.

I forgot Williams has one more year. That may be ok if Bryce comes back, otherwise not sure we’d want to rely on true freshmen and walk-ons for a third rb. We’ll see how much experience Evans gets this year. I just think a veteran might help, not saying you cement him in front of the young guys though.
Didn't we rely on freshmen last year? Fleck and staff knows how to recruit and coach the position.

Didn't we rely on freshmen last year? Fleck and staff knows how to recruit and coach the position.
One true freshman, a four star. Not sure it’s ideal, certainly wasn’t planned.

Darius Taylor had a productive junior season for Walled Lake (Mich.) Western High School, rushing for 1,380 yards and 26 touchdowns and adding 650 receiving yards. This season, he's on pace to blow those numbers away.

Through two games, Taylor, who has committed to the Gophers, has rushed for 542 yards and eight touchdowns for the Warriors. The 5-11, 187-pounder is a three-star recruit who's the 34th-ranked running back nationally and the No. 12 overall recruit in Michigan for the Class of 2023 in the 247Sports composite of major recruiting services.

Taylor started his season with a bang, rushing 27 times for a school-record 345 yards and six touchdowns on runs of 44, 2, 17, 82, 36 and 1 yards in a 47-26 win over South Lyon. He added 42 receiving yards, finishing 13 short of 400 total yards. He followed that up by carrying 32 times for 157 yards and two TDs in a 16-12 win over Walled Lake Northern.

Taylor isn't the only Gophers recruit playing for Walled Lake Western. Quarterback Drew Viotto also has committed to Minnesota. He has completed 14 of 26 passes for 282 yards this season.

Go Gophers!!
What’s amazing is his team needs this production to win.

They will have:

Potts
Taylor (true frosh)

You forgot LeCaptain!

Taylor with 284 yards rushing for walled lake western (Mich) in 52-7 win Friday night.

Top Bottom