Commit #21

Great commit btw. For those that think we have too many receivers, we'll probably add one more at the least. If you consider that Brodrick Smith also left, that's really 4 scholarships which are open.

Scout is about as reliable as a hampster.

How do you feel about Scouts evaluation of talent in comparison with Rivals? Which do you prefer to use? Sometimes I feel like Scout offers more accurate evaluations whereas rivals seems to inflate certain ratings.

I know some hate to use the ratings systems by the two to evaluate given talent coming in, but I really feel it is a strong indicator for the most part as to how an athlete might perform on the field when they get here. Sure you have some guys come out of nowhere who weren't rated highly but that happens all the time. Just look at the NFL draft.

How do you feel about Scouts evaluation of talent in comparison with Rivals? Which do you prefer to use? Sometimes I feel like Scout offers more accurate evaluations whereas rivals seems to inflate certain ratings.

I know some hate to use the ratings systems by the two to evaluate given talent coming in, but I really feel it is a strong indicator for the most part as to how an athlete might perform on the field when they get here. Sure you have some guys come out of nowhere who weren't rated highly but that happens all the time. Just look at the NFL draft.
Here's basically what I use them for, just my own preference.

Accuracy: Rivals- more people on the ground, more local affiliates

Evaluation: ESPN- studies have shown that ESPN and Rivals rankings are about equal in predicting success, but I feel like ESPN gives a better overview of the player and his growth potential.

Extra information: Scout. Scout, because they are often wrong, have a whole bunch of stuff. Usually they are the first to report if we've offered and the first to report if someone is visiting. They also are much more giving than rivals with non-premium information, which I appreciate.

For those who feel this is a "down" class, I will remind you that Mason's last full class in 2006 had nine 3-stars and no 4-stars. For a program at our level, I am more than happy to take a class full of 3-stars or better, which is what this year's class is shaping up to be (with a few exceptions). And we still half a half-dozen or more open scholarships to hand out.
I'm not arguing one way or the other, but Mason was to recruiting what Ashley Simpson is to singing. That's not really much of a comparison, especially when you consider the new stadium. Brewster will be judged by his own standards, fair or not.

Great get for Brew. Chris, welcome to Gopher Nation. I like the fact he is 6'1''-6'2''. We need a couple of guys to go up and get the ball in traffic. We have a lot of quick, smaller WR's. A little height at the position is nice.

"And I'm assuming McKnight was brought in to snare Cooper. " Just like Stoudermire too huh? McKnight will be a player as well. He has already seen the field.

Also scored the 2 pointer against Wiskey.

Great addition. Welcome aboard Chris.

But I thought we weren't going for wide recievers anymore. I bet Snowman never sent Brew the message that we should only be recruiting Wide-open Recievers.

McKnight can play. Remember he was recruited as a safety and could find his way back there before all is said and done.

Another nice commitment here.

I think that uselessness of Pittman and Hayo means that you can never recruit enough receivers.

I think that uselessness of Pittman and Hayo means that you can never recruit enough receivers.

I think I've now realized that recruiting Juco skill positions is a really big waste of time. I'm not ragging on Hayo or Pittman or anything but it's pretty clear: They can't make the jump in time to be useful. It's like they are freshman all over again and this time they only have one more year of eligibility left.

I think I've now realized that recruiting Juco skill positions is a really big waste of time. I'm not ragging on Hayo or Pittman or anything but it's pretty clear: They can't make the jump in time to be useful. It's like they are freshman all over again and this time they only have one more year of eligibility left.

I wouldn't say all of them have that tough of a time, but JUCOs are just as much a crap shoot as frosh. Some make the transition to D1 football faster than others.

McKnight is No "Throw-in"

I saw McKnight play in HS and he is a terrific athlete. There will be a place for him to play for the Gophers. The idea that he is just a "throw in" guy is ridiculous.

Top Bottom