Comcast and Big Ten Network

cemba99

Bruce Smith for Governor
Reaction score
Not to panic yet, but a reminder FWIW -

As part of the deal that Comcast and the Big Ten Network struck last year, Comcast does have the option of moving BTN to digital tier status only after one year (the year is up)

If and when this occurs it will mean viewers will need a cable box plus perhaps an upgrade in service (depending on what one is signed up for) to see BTN. I have checked with the Minneapolis/St Paul office and there is no plan to shift BTN at this time. (But we know how things can change quickly at times.) The Comcast person I spoke with said that the decision to move to a digital only tier will be on a market-by-market basis, not nationwide.

The reason for this post is that I have a friend in PA who recently had to get a cable box just to see BTN at all. Other Comcast folks throughout the country may want to check just so they do not come up short on game day.

In Minneapolis, digital cable and analog cable are the same price - not counting the barebones analog which doesn't have BTN anyway. You do have to pay $1 a month more for a digital box, or $7 more a month for an HD box.

If they moved it from the basic digital package to the super-deluxe package, I'd balk and drop cable.

Don't be surprised if that happens with little notice. I just found out yesterday that DirecTV is threatening to drop Versus (which is owned by Comcast) due to ridiculous contract demands. Comcast sure seems to have a bug up their rear about a lot of things and I couldn't be happier knowing they offer cable here and I have DTV.

just for you info. Comcast is not allow to move the big ten network to digital tier within the Big Ten footprint. Comcast is allow to move it to digital tier outside the big ten viewing area. but if you living in one of the big ten states, comcast cannot move the big ten network to digital tier.

This is what i heard from a source, don't quote me on this one. it what i heard. it maybe wrong or not.

Comcast is not allow to move the big ten network to digital tier within the Big Ten footprint. .

This is what i heard from a source, don't quote me on this one. it what i heard. it maybe wrong or not.

Cemba99 just reported that this did happen in Pennsylvania, which is a Big Ten state. Unless they somehow consider eastern PA out of the "Big Ten" footprint, which is possible I guess, one of these two reports is false.

Cemba99 just reported that this did happen in Pennsylvania, which is a Big Ten state. Unless they somehow consider eastern PA out of the "Big Ten" footprint, which is possible I guess, one of these two reports is false.

Eastern PA is out of the B10 footprint.

Comcast is not allow to move the big ten network to digital tier within the Big Ten footprint.

That was only for the first school year. Comcast can move it to digital and probably will at some point. They could have done it as soon as basketball season was over in the spring. It isn't that big of a deal, though, as it won't be too long before ALL channels will move to digital. Within a few years, there will be no analog cable. If you don't have digital yet, you should be moving in that direction anyway. That is part of why the BTN agreed to allow the move.

It doesn't matter to me, i have Directv. so i good to go.

Top Bottom