Colton Iverson

Goph4phan

Reaction score
min fg 3 ft off reb ast trn stl blk pf pts
C. Iverson 27 2-3 0-0 0-1 1 3 3 1 0 4 3 4

A very good effort today out of Iverson. Nothing flashy, but I really like the way he plays and hustles. We haven't had a real hustle big man like Iverson since Jeff Hagen (who was behind the bench today).

Many people are saying that our bigs look over-matched. I can agree that Jon and Ralph look like they're a step slow, but Iverson is more than holding his own out there. I really like the way he comes down with rebounds and doesn't try to tip them back in. He plays like an upperclassman, he gathers himself before he goes up and appears to play at an emotionally even keel. He may be raw but if he continues to add muscle and his game progresses the way it has, he is going to be very strong for us in years to come.

For a kid that's a freshman, he has skills. Post play the next few years should be a strength for the squad. He still gets himself too far under the basket for rebounds, but with time he should be a stud down low.

min fg 3 ft off reb ast trn stl blk pf pts
C. Iverson 27 2-3 0-0 0-1 1 3 3 1 0 4 3 4

A very good effort today out of Iverson. Nothing flashy, but I really like the way he plays and hustles. We haven't had a real hustle big man like Iverson since Jeff Hagen (who was behind the bench today).

Many people are saying that our bigs look over-matched. I can agree that Jon and Ralph look like they're a step slow, but Iverson is more than holding his own out there. I really like the way he comes down with rebounds and doesn't try to tip them back in. He plays like an upperclassman, he gathers himself before he goes up and appears to play at an emotionally even keel. He may be raw but if he continues to add muscle and his game progresses the way it has, he is going to be very strong for us in years to come.

I agree. Ralph has plenty of potential but still needs more development. Tubby will help make him into a great player. As for Colton, little did most of us know just how polished his game was coming into the program. I wonder how much time his father spent with him on fundamentals? As a big man playing against all kinds of little guys in South Dakota, you wouldn't expect him to be as fundamentally sound as he is - most big guys would just rely on their height and not worry about fundamentals. Instead, he is as polished a big man frosh as I've ever seen on the Gophers' team (since 1980). If he can be anywhere near as good as say, Randy Breuer, regardless of how Ralph turns out I think this team could easily be a consistent Sweet 16 team. If Ralph can greatly improve (esp. in footspeed), watch out!

Colton is so thick and powerful underneath, yet he does have some solid footwork. He is also very tough on the defensive end. I think he will continue to improve and become a very solid scorer and a very good rebounder and a premiere shot blocker. Lots of potential, I would like to see him get more looks offensively, right now he thrives on second chances.

If only Williams had Iverson's fundamentals. Those volleyball spikes are driving me crazy.

this isn't a criticism of Iverson as he's been a pleasant surprise this year; however, I did think he'd have a stronger game against Lauderdale. Lauderdale seems like kind of a competent center but not a "name" player.

Lauderdale is the best shot blocker the Gophers will face this year.

this isn't a criticism of Iverson as he's been a pleasant surprise this year; however, I did think he'd have a stronger game against Lauderdale. Lauderdale seems like kind of a competent center but not a "name" player.

Lauderdale is really big and pretty tough. Not a lot of skill, but he is hard to move down there.

How about BJ Mullens? One or two spectacular plays, but other than that he did nothing. He looks frustrated out there.

Iverson's physical play comparing the MSU game versus today shows how much this guy is quickly learning how to play in the Big 10. The radio announcers were talking about the "wrestling match" under the boards, and they felt the Colt45 was winning. Good enough for me.

Lauderdale is really big and pretty tough. Not a lot of skill, but he is hard to move down there.

How about BJ Mullens? One or two spectacular plays, but other than that he did nothing. He looks frustrated out there.

You mean future lottery pick BJ Mullens....not so much. I have no idea what the so called experts saw in him. He's only scored in double figures twice so far and has had 1 or less rebounds three times. Think the Wolves will take him?

Lauderdale is no superstar but I've watched 5 OSU games and he has always seemed very serviceable as a defensive-minded Big 10 center to me...much more so than Mullen.

As recently as a few months ago, some NBA Mock drafts were projecting Mullens as the top pick in the draft. Now he's stuck on the bunch for an average Big Ten team. It doesn't look like OSU fans will have to worry about a 3rd straight one-and-done center.

If you didn't see the potential in Mullens today, I can't help you.

Also, we're waxing nostalgic for Jeff Hagen now?

If you didn't see the potential in Mullens today, I can't help you.

Also, we're waxing nostalgic for Jeff Hagen now?

Iverson > Hagen. Clearly.

Mullens, lots of potential, I am no writing him off, but I wasnt expecting Greg Oden, but I thought he would at worst be a solid starting big ten player. He moves really well for a huge guy, although mentally there is room to improve IMO.

All of the new players this season, Iverson is the one who has impressed me the most. He's a tough defender, not afraid to take it to the boards (regardless who the Gophers are playing) and has a really fast learning curve.

I predict that Iverson's progress this season is the key to whether the Gophers punch their dance card at the NCAA tourney (Sweet Sixteen?) or have to win the BT tourney to get an invite.

All of the new players this season, Iverson is the one who has impressed me the most. He's a tough defender, not afraid to take it to the boards (regardless who the Gophers are playing) and has a really fast learning curve.QUOTE]

I agree. But I was also very impressed with Devoe's play yesterday. One of my biggest concerns about this season has been back-up pg, but if Devoe can consistently perform that way, it won't do much good for teams to try to get Al out of the game.

Iverson's passing.

I'm surprised by Iverson's passing out of the post. He does a nice job finding the open player and delivering an accurate pass. He's able to do so because he seems remarkably calm for a freshman when he has the ball in his hands. You don't see him take desparation shots or get panicky and just hurl the ball back to whichever teammate is closest to him.

Iverson > Hagen. Clearly.
I think Iverson as a frosh is better than Hagen was as a junior, but has not quite reached the level of play Hagen showed as a senior. I do think that next year, or maybe even later this year, that will change.

Hagen easily led all Monson era players in floor burns. At the rate he's going, Colt may have the all time Gopher record before he's done. But will he ever match that diving belly-slide off the court that Jeff had?

Mullens, lots of potential, I am no writing him off, but I wasnt expecting Greg Oden, but I thought he would at worst be a solid starting big ten player.
I hope the kid is staying current in class, as it is becoming obvious he's not the one-and-done player so many expected.

Hagen does have a bit more padding. If Colton belly flopped he might break a rib.

All of the new players this season, Iverson is the one who has impressed me the most. He's a tough defender, not afraid to take it to the boards (regardless who the Gophers are playing) and has a really fast learning curve.QUOTE]

I agree. But I was also very impressed with Devoe's play yesterday. One of my biggest concerns about this season has been back-up pg, but if Devoe can consistently perform that way, it won't do much good for teams to try to get Al out of the game.

I too was impressed by Devoe's play and hope he continues to work on ball control (it's nice to see Nolen not having to play 36+ minutes per game and the team still coming away with the win). Just think that after 14 games, Iverson has shown the most consistent play and progress--needless to say, I'm pumped by the prospects of the Gopher's chances to play well into April this season.

Humble prediction for Iverson....he will leave the U as one of the best and most popular players to have played here.

Top Bottom