Colorado Trio

Chris Monter

Reaction score
I wrote a story about three Colorado players who could be headed to Minnesota. The story should be up soon.

Chris Monter

Rivals shows 1 offer across all three of these guys, and that was Wyoming's offer to Turmour Battle last year. I am sure these are great guys but not understanding why this is newsworthy?

This is not going to be a class full of top talent. Brew is going for solid kids who have a chance of contributing. These three fit that mold quite nicely. They're talented enough and really want to be here. I think they are a great trio for this years class. I hope they end up here.

This is not going to be a class full of top talent. Brew is going for solid kids who have a chance of contributing. These three fit that mold quite nicely. They're talented enough and really want to be here. I think they are a great trio for this years class. I hope they end up here.

What are you trying to say here?

A. Brewster is not going after top talent
B. Brewster is failing to land top talent

Every school goes after "solid kids who have a chance of contributing". If kids don't have a solid chance of contributing, then it woud be idiotic to offer them a scholarship. It is not acceptable for Brewster's recruiting to go downhill, as that is what was supposed to buy him time to "learn how to be a head coach". If Brewster is not bringing in top talent, what special skill is he bringing to the table? We can't have a guy with a reputation as a recruiter bringing in a 7th or 8th best class in the Big Ten. If that's going to be the case, we'd be much better off with an offensive or defensive guru bringing in a 7th or 8th best class in the Big Ten.

What are you trying to say here?

A. Brewster is not going after top talent
B. Brewster is failing to land top talent

Every school goes after "solid kids who have a chance of contributing". If kids don't have a solid chance of contributing, then it woud be idiotic to offer them a scholarship. It is not acceptable for Brewster's recruiting to go downhill, as that is what was supposed to buy him time to "learn how to be a head coach". If Brewster is not bringing in top talent, what special skill is he bringing to the table? We can't have a guy with a reputation as a recruiter bringing in a 7th or 8th best class in the Big Ten. If that's going to be the case, we'd be much better off with an offensive or defensive guru bringing in a 7th or 8th best class in the Big Ten.

+1

What i am saying is that Brew understands his recruiting cycle well. We are not an attractive option for the top talent right now. We have neither playing time, a winning program or a secure program. He could spend a year swinging and missing and end up filling the roster wtih what's left and risking dead weight holding schollie's for four years, or he can take the best fits, and best of the next tier. Solid kids who fit the team mold, build academics, work hard, and have untapped potential, are perfect for this class. They will be valuable until they graduate whether they ever start or not.

When this current group of kids starts winning, Brew will be able to have a product to sell to the top talent again, meanwhile well picked kids from this class will mean that we actually build a foundation that will be useful for years to come.

Does that mean he won't take top talent if they want to be here, or that he's not exploring possible interest? No.

I agree with this totally...

What i am saying is that Brew understands his recruiting cycle well. We are not an attractive option for the top talent right now. We have neither playing time, a winning program or a secure program. He could spend a year swinging and missing and end up filling the roster wtih what's left and risking dead weight holding schollie's for four years, or he can take the best fits, and best of the next tier. Solid kids who fit the team mold, build academics, work hard, and have untapped potential, are perfect for this class. They will be valuable until they graduate whether they ever start or not.

When this current group of kids starts winning, Brew will be able to have a product to sell to the top talent again, meanwhile well picked kids from this class will mean that we actually build a foundation that will be useful for years to come.

Does that mean he won't take top talent if they want to be here, or that he's not exploring possible interest? No.

+1

My favorite passage from the interview...

GH: What do you like about Minnesota?

DJ: “It is a different state. They have a really good program. I’d like to come up and play for Coach Cross and Coach Brewster.”

GH: Have you ever been to Minnesota before?

DJ: “No I haven’t.”

They are right, Minnesota is a different state from Colorado, I'm glad we have been able to utilize that competitive advantage in our recruiting efforts.

I have to admit, these three don't excite me much.

We have neither playing time, a winning program or a secure program. He could spend a year swinging and missing and end up filling the roster wtih what's left and risking dead weight holding schollie's for four years, or he can take the best fits, and best of the next tier.

Isn't that what he did last year, too? He had the #51 ranked recruiting class in the nation and only the #6 class in the Big Ten. The year before he had the #6 class in the Big Ten (#39 in nation). He really hasn't brought in a class of "top talent" since his first one and much of that class is no longer on the team.

When this current group of kids starts winning, Brew will be able to have a product to sell to the top talent again.

I hope they start winning, but with this schedule can we win enough games to start selling top talent?

To me the SOLE REASON he was brought in was because he was supposed to consistently bring in top talent at a place where others couldn't. We knew before he was hired that our program wasn't stable, wasn't winning consistently, wasn't contending for titles, etc. His main purpose was to out-recruit teams, but so far he's been middle of the pack. If he isn't bringing in top talent, then there were a lot of good X's and O's coaches out there available who could bring in classes that ranked 51st in the nation and coach 'em up. Now, he has a top stadium, a bigger budget, and freshness yet he's left recruiting a "filler" class for the second year in a row.

I've been a big Brewster backer, but this is concerning.

I would say it is a little early to call this class a filler class.

I was only using that term in response to Schnoodler, who basically says the strategy is to make this a class full of 2nd tier guys who fill spots because of the things he cited. I responded that I don't think we brought the head coach in to recruit filler classes, although I'm concerned it looks like that is the strategy. I am hopeful this turns out to be more than a filler class and am more than willing to patient to see if it does.

I was only using that term in response to Schnoodler, who basically says the strategy is to make this a class full of 2nd tier guys who fill spots because of the things he cited. I responded that I don't think we brought the head coach in to recruit filler classes, although I'm concerned it looks like that is the strategy. I am hopeful this turns out to be more than a filler class and am more than willing to patient to see if it does.

You see it takes a little more thought to understand what a persons intent is than to dumb down the argument.

Maximizing the class based on the reality of your situation is quite different than aiming low. It is the difference between Brew and Mason. If you think the skill level is the same then I can't help you.

But spin it how you want.

Doubt any of these three end up at the U. Scholarships disappear near signing day because teams can get better guys or grades/off-field issues make the kid a bad risk. KGM might eventually get another hometown teammate, but probably not from this group.

I actually like what I have seen from this class so far. I know that puts me in the minority.

Having said that, our offense was terrible last year, much like our defense was in 2007. Brewster was able to fix the defense (at least make it average) pretty quickly, selling playing time and begging for help. Now, we have no proven running backs. We're all hoping the potential of our receivers is realized, but so far, it hasn't happened yet. We have a senior quarterback. His heir apparent was unable to get on the field last year, despite Weber's difficult season. The offensive line was not good last year, yet the younger OLs have not been able to beat them out; plus, a few of the starters will be graduating.

I'm not trying to be negative, and I'm hopeful that it all comes together this season. But to say that you can't sell playing time on the offensive side of the ball to someone looking at the program from the outside? That's false.

I actually like what I have seen from this class so far. I know that puts me in the minority.

Puts you in the minority of all people that watch college football? Probably.

Puts you in the minority of people who understand the recruiting process, the recruiting cycle, and understand the talent that Brew is getting to the U? Probably not.

Dead on Unregistered User, "the recruiting process/cycle"....this class is looking just fine with me so far.

Maximizing the class based on the reality of your situation is quite different than aiming low.

The reality of the situation? The reality of the situation is that the head coach at the U of M is in a BETTER POSITION now to recruit top talent than when he was hired (better budget, new stadium, etc.). Yet, his recruiting classes haven't shown that. We knew the situation when he was hired and we hired him to overcome that situation and bring in top talent. He hung his hat on that. That was his sole mission. He really hasn't done that - his class two years ago was #39 in the nation, his class last year was #51. Some of the guys from both classes are no longer on campus. But, yet you're telling us he's brought in so much talent that now the "recruiting cycle" makes it impossible to bring in top talent this year. And, the use of clever terms like "recruiting cycles" and "reality of the situation" and "best fits" only make it a weak justification for lower than expected results. And, yes, I have a fairly good grasp on the recruiting process. I know the talent level has been upgraded from Mason's last 2-3 years, but that doesn't mean it has been upgraded to the point where we have to target "2nd tier prospects" because of the "recruiting cycle." I have no intent to dumb down the argument. The fact of the matter is Brewster was brought in to out-recruit Iowa and Wisconsin and Michigan State and other schools in the Big Ten. He told us that. Maturi told us that. Brewster promised he'd be able to do it because Minneapolis was attractive to recruits, because the U was a top institution, etc. But, now "the reality of the situation" is in Year Four under Brewster we're targeting "2nd tier" prospects. If you don't think that is at least a small cause for concern, then I can't help you either. As mentioned, I've been a Brewster backer from day one, defended him on this board, but the sole purpose for hiring the head coach was his recruiting prowess and we're in spot where for the third year in a row he will have a recruiting class ranked in the lower half of the Big Ten. That makes it tough to build a Rose Bowl team in this league.

The reality of the situation? The reality of the situation is that the head coach at the U of M is in a BETTER POSITION now to recruit top talent than when he was hired (better budget, new stadium, etc.). Yet, his recruiting classes haven't shown that. We knew the situation when he was hired and we hired him to overcome that situation and bring in top talent. He hung his hat on that. That was his sole mission. He really hasn't done that - his class two years ago was #39 in the nation, his class last year was #51. Some of the guys from both classes are no longer on campus. But, yet you're telling us he's brought in so much talent that now the "recruiting cycle" makes it impossible to bring in top talent this year. And, the use of clever terms like "recruiting cycles" and "reality of the situation" and "best fits" only make it a weak justification for lower than expected results. And, yes, I have a fairly good grasp on the recruiting process. I know the talent level has been upgraded from Mason's last 2-3 years, but that doesn't mean it has been upgraded to the point where we have to target "2nd tier prospects" because of the "recruiting cycle." I have no intent to dumb down the argument. The fact of the matter is Brewster was brought in to out-recruit Iowa and Wisconsin and Michigan State and other schools in the Big Ten. He told us that. Maturi told us that. Brewster promised he'd be able to do it because Minneapolis was attractive to recruits, because the U was a top institution, etc. But, now "the reality of the situation" is in Year Four under Brewster we're targeting "2nd tier" prospects. If you don't think that is at least a small cause for concern, then I can't help you either. As mentioned, I've been a Brewster backer from day one, defended him on this board, but the sole purpose for hiring the head coach was his recruiting prowess and we're in spot where for the third year in a row he will have a recruiting class ranked in the lower half of the Big Ten. That makes it tough to build a Rose Bowl team in this league.

+1

It like a chicken-n-egg thing. Some say we have to win first to get better classes, but compared to Mason's tenure, we know we need much better classes in order to win. Brewster has the new Stadium and upgraded facilities and budget. This is a hugh plus over what Mason, Wacker, Gutey, etc. had to deal with at the U. We know Holtz started to upgrde each class in the short 2-years he was here (he had Tony Rice verbaled to the U who followed him to ND to QB the NC winning team). Mason was typically 8th -11th rated class in the BT. With Brewster's credentials and the benefits he now has (ie Stadium), he should always be 3rd - 5th rated class (that's what he is here to do). I still support Brewster, and will always be a Gopher backer, but the recruiting classes do need to continue to improve.

This sums up my feelings quite well and I appreciated Schnoodlers response to my post too, even though I disagree with his line of thinking in some ways. I feel like Brewster is in a tough spot to recruit because kids probably view him as being on the hot seat. I thought Brewster's first two classes were excellent, but I was not happy at all with his 3rd class, especially with him being able to bring recruits to a brand new stadium. I am certainly not ready to make a statement one way or the other on this class, but I completely disagree with the opinion that it is somehow acceptable for Brewster to bring in a lowly ranked class. This team is not so stocked with talent that kids don't see a chance for immediate playing time.

Top Bottom