Colorado coach Deion Sanders may need left foot amputated

Awful!!

More background info: https://www.stoptheclot.org/news/deion-sanders-lost-two-toes-and-almost-his-leg-to-blood-clots/

March 10, 2022

This week, Hall of Fame cornerback and Jackson State football coach, Deion Sanders, revealed in a teaser video for his web series “Coach Prime,” that surgeons amputated the big toe and second toe on his left foot after he was hospitalized for blood clots that developed following a previous operation.

More specifically, Sanders developed a femoral arterial blood clot and experienced compartment syndrome. In total, Sanders had eight surgical procedures and spent 23 days in a Mississippi hospital, most of them in the ICU. He lost 40 pounds during the ordeal and after his discharge spent the later part of the 2021 season in a wheelchair.

According to the Associated Press, doctors initially feared that he might lose his leg. In the video, Sanders stated he was willing to do anything to keep his leg.

His blood clot diagnosis led to the revelation that his family has a history of blood clots, which is a powerful risk factor for developing blood clots. And an individual who has a family history of clots may have inherited a thrombophilia.

Just as there are inherited conditions that prevent the blood from clotting there are conditions that cause too much clotting.
There are treatments for both that can ameliorate the condition but not cure it.
Arterial clotting is far more dangerous.

speaking as a guy who has had a heart attack and coronary arterial blockages, blood clots are nothing to mess with. It's been 7 years since my heart attack and I still take blood thinners every day. with the side effect that I bruise if you look at me too hard, and if I cut myself, I bleed like the proverbial stuck pig. but it beats the alternative.

I have a friend with diabetes and he has struggled with circulation issues in his feet. from what he's told me, it's no fun.

My dad at 65 has had the same experience - big and adjacent toe, weight loss and all - within the last calendar year. It alters your perspective on life and health, to be sure.

For those of us old enough to have seen Sanders play, he was one of the most amazing athletes I ever saw. His speed and instincts were incredible. And it surely doesn't seem to have been all that long ago. To see him struggling with this now is so sad. It reminds us that time passes quickly.

Good luck to you, Coach.

Top Bottom