Colley Matrix

Since 2012, the Colley Matrix is the only major selector, math or poll, that has deviated from selecting the winner of the BCS/CFP national title game as the national champion.

2012 - selected Notre Dame over Alabama
2016 - selected Alabama over Clemson
2017 - selected UCF over Alabama :ROFLMAO:

Hopefully they "fixed the glitch".

According to that Wikipedia article, the name of this forum is wrong. It should be "9 National Titles Football Forum".

If there are 5 undefeated teams and the one left out won it's bowl game it would end the season undefeated and it would leave room debate. You turned this into a discussion about when a fifth ranked team was about even with the top ranked team.

In 2004 USC smoked Oklahoma in the BCS Championship game. They probably would have smoked Auburn and Utah as well, but because both teams ended undefeated we can debate whether or they could have upset USC when they played. Auburn or Utah could have beaten USC in an upset regardless if they were "even" or not.
I specifically asked you not to repeat yourself, and in the very first sentence of your reply, you repeated yourself. I asked you not to do that because I could see it coming a mile away.

The reason it's fine to ignore the 5th ranked team, even if unbeaten, is because they are no where near the best team and don't deserve a shot at the NC. Teams have 12 or 13 games to show who they are; by the first Sunday it December it's obvious who is a championship contender and who isn't, and at no point in history has #5 ever been shown to be worthy of competing for the title.

Look, it's different philosophies. You have this that a bunch of teams can be undefeated conf champs and they're about equal and we need a huge playoff to sort things out. I disagree 100% and can clearly see that Georgia and Michigan are the only teams worthy this year. Even an undefeated TCU wouldn't be worthy because both Georgia and Michigan would never let that team cross midfield, nevertheless score a point.

I feel bad Michigan has to risk injury to it's players by having to play an inferior opponent.

We could also debate how many angels could dance on the head of a pin.

I think there's a real chance Ohio State beats Georgia.

I specifically asked you not to repeat yourself, and in the very first sentence of your reply, you repeated yourself. I asked you not to do that because I could see it coming a mile away.

The reason it's fine to ignore the 5th ranked team, even if unbeaten, is because they are no where near the best team and don't deserve a shot at the NC. Teams have 12 or 13 games to show who they are; by the first Sunday it December it's obvious who is a championship contender and who isn't, and at no point in history has #5 ever been shown to be worthy of competing for the title.

Look, it's different philosophies. You have this that a bunch of teams can be undefeated conf champs and they're about equal and we need a huge playoff to sort things out. I disagree 100% and can clearly see that Georgia and Michigan are the only teams worthy this year. Even an undefeated TCU wouldn't be worthy because both Georgia and Michigan would never let that team cross midfield, nevertheless score a point.

I feel bad Michigan has to risk injury to it's players by having to play an inferior opponent.

Wow. Midfield? C'mon, man.

The NCAA has nothing to do with major college football. There has never been an NCAA trophy awarded for national champion in football at the top level.

Although the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has never bestowed national championships in college football at the topmost level, it does maintain an official records book for the sport. The records book, with consultation from various college football historians, contains a list of "major selectors" of national championships from throughout the history of college football, along with their championship selections
Thanks captain obvious

I do not believe the bolded. I claimed that "If a team goes undefeated and can't win a national title there is room for debate.". I didn't say that I had a team in mind that I would make the argument for, merely that one could make an argument.
You've turned my abstract statement into demanding that I give you a fifth ranked team to beat a first ranked team. I was making an academic claim apologies that you missed the point.

To your second point, "and at no point in history has #5 ever been shown to be worthy of competing for the title" -- this isn't really accurate. Between 1919 and 1923 each season there were at least 5 teams who were awarded a national title. As recently as 1973 there were 5 teams with a reasonable claim to the national title.

Since 2012, the Colley Matrix is the only major selector, math or poll, that has deviated from selecting the winner of the BCS/CFP national title game as the national champion.

2012 - selected Notre Dame over Alabama
2016 - selected Alabama over Clemson
2017 - selected UCF over Alabama :ROFLMAO:

Hopefully they "fixed the glitch".
You could have gone back just one year and it would still be true. They awarded it to 2011 OK State, which many (myself included) think should have played LSU for the national title vs a rematch of Bama LSU.

On a smaller scale...is there going to be a possibility of there being 3 undefeated Big Ten teams before the conference championship after USC and UCLA join?

Let's say Ohio St goes 12-0, Iowa goes 12-0, and USC goes 12-0. None of which obviously play each other during the regular season. One gets left out of the conference championship.

To make it more interesting...is it possible that an undefeated team gets left out of the 12 team playoff in this scenario? Let's say something similar happens in the expanded SEC and there are multiple undefeated teams that need to use the "at large" spots. Does the undefeated regular season team get in over the 1 loss conference champ loser (the one that got in the conf champ game over them)?

I'm sorry, I'm not on drugs this morning I promise.

You could have gone back just one year and it would still be true. They awarded it to 2011 OK State, which many (myself included) think should have played LSU for the national title vs a rematch of Bama LSU.
I agree.

This is an interesting discussion ... for 2013 seasons and prior. With the 4 team playoff, it became all but irrelevant. With a 12 team playoff, it is certain to be irrelevant.

But like I said, I do think it is very interesting to see what various mathematical/AI systems have to say about ranking college teams based on various statistics. Sorry, I did not mean to try to invalidate that discussion generally, at all.

Just that, for even those that the NCAA still technically deems as "major selectors" (largely for historical reasons), who they select as national champion is completely and entirely just "for fun" and have no more legitimacy than that.

On a smaller scale...is there going to be a possibility of there being 3 undefeated Big Ten teams before the conference championship after USC and UCLA join?

Let's say Ohio St goes 12-0, Iowa goes 12-0, and USC goes 12-0. None of which obviously play each other during the regular season. One gets left out of the conference championship.

To make it more interesting...is it possible that an undefeated team gets left out of the 12 team playoff in this scenario? Let's say something similar happens in the expanded SEC and there are multiple undefeated teams that need to use the "at large" spots. Does the undefeated regular season team get in over the 1 loss conference champ loser (the one that got in the conf champ game over them)?

I'm sorry, I'm not on drugs this morning I promise.
Depends on how they build the schedule but if they build it wrong, yes it is possible

Top Bottom