CollegeRPI.com Monday bracket notes

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Jerry Palm updated his bracket today. Some notes.

(1) Has Gophers as a #10 playing #7 West Virginia in Greensboro in East Region.

(2) Has Big 10 with seven bids, leaving Penn State (not the Gophers or Michigan) on the outside looking in. His Big 10 seeds are: Michigan State (2); Illinois (4); Purdue (4); Wisconsin (8); Ohio State (9); Gophers (10); and Michigan (11).

(3) Palm & I differ on 3 at-larges to this point. He has Florida, Miami-Florida and Michigan in, in their place I have UNLV, Virginia Tech and Penn State. So we basically agree on the number of bids from each league, except for the Florida/UNLV trade-off.

(4) Wouldn't be real thrilled with the games Palm has projected for the Metrodome: #2 Louisville vs. #15 NDSU; #7 Texas vs. #10 Dayton; #3 Xavier vs. #14 Weber State; and #6 Arizona State vs. #11 Florida. Arizona State and NDSU are teams I would like to see, otherwise the matchups don't do much for me.

I am not sure how he can have Michigan in over Penn State. Penn State is 9-7 in the league right now and Michigan is 8-9. It is conceivable that Penn State can go 11-7 in the league. If they do and Michigan goes 9-9 there is no way Michigan could go and not Penn State. If that were the case, it makes the league standings meaningless.

Good points. I agree that Michigan should not be in ahead of Penn State (at this point), but conference schedules mean less & less nowadays. Among the power conferences, unless you're the Pac 10, teams are playing unbalanced conference schedules. All conference schedules aren't created equally if you don't play everyone twice.

That's why I agree with your guy Bo. I'd like to see the Big 10 go to a full round-robin schedule. It'll never happen because most coaches want to protect themselves & schedule a couple extra marshmallows for their coaching records (certainly not for paying customers who want to see a couple meaningful games in November & December), but at least with a true round-robin that's a much more accurate measure of which teams are the best ones within a conference. Where Penn State (and the Gophers to a lesser extent) could end up getting burned (and rightfully so) is the atrocious nonconference schedule it played. Basically the Nitts played Georgia Tech (last in the ACC), Temple & Rhode Island, and Ga Tech was the only one they won.

Here's the last games for the middle pack.

The last two:
Minn: Wiscy, Mich
Wisc: @Minn, Indiana
Mich: @Minn
OSU: @Iowa, NW
PSU: Ill, @iowa

Obvious points. we're the only team with two home games. We also are the only team playing two contenders. Wiscy has the easier finish, beat us they're heavy faves against indiana at home. Iowa on their home court stands between OSU and PSU, spoiler time? Mich has only one game left, can not get to 10 W's.

Strong chance all 5 finish with 9 wins.

mybad, had Wiscy at 8 wins in the noggin. In that case, they're the favorite to grab the 4th spot and 10 W's. Carry on.

I am not sure how he can have Michigan in over Penn State. Penn State is 9-7 in the league right now and Michigan is 8-9. It is conceivable that Penn State can go 11-7 in the league. If they do and Michigan goes 9-9 there is no way Michigan could go and not Penn State. If that were the case, it makes the league standings meaningless.

Didn't Penn State play an even weaker noncon schedule then us? Im assuming Michigans noncon resume(wins against Duke & UCLA) is the reason he would have Michigan and not Penn State.

Yes, Penn State's nonconference schedule makes the Gophers' NC sked look like we were playing the Larry Bird Celtics every night. The Nitts have played five teams with a RPI of 250+, including 3 in the 300's. If you have NJIT on your schedule, that's probably not a good thing.

Top Bottom