College Gameday to Stillwater

Figured, after both teams won today. Oh well.

It's a little far from campus, but it's beautiful there. Close to Wisconsin and all. Oh THAT Stillwater.....DAMN

Another southern school. So incredibly original from College GameDay...

Cue the Eskimo Joe's reference. Actually a pretty campus.

A decision that makes 100% sense, and not a surprise.

Yawn... Might have to watch B1G network pre game again for the bazillionth time in a row

Baylor is interesting. They score a lot. But they haven't played a great team all year, and they especially haven't been matched against a good defense.

Playing in a conference that has been gutted of its middle echelon of teams is clearly working in their favor this year. Is that really the way it should work?

Understandable decision and doesn't bother me in the list. Just focus of all the discussions about Badger signs and all the Badger fans at TCF that won't take place on Gameday! Now for the game..

Baylor is interesting. They score a lot. But they haven't played a great team all year, and they especially haven't been matched against a good defense.

Playing in a conference that has been gutted of its middle echelon of teams is clearly working in their favor this year. Is that really the way it should work?

After watching Baylor the past couple weeks I am not so sure they aren't the best team in the country. Last I looked they had the #1 offense and a top 10 defense. They have speed, good coaching, and a great QB. IMO they are NOT overrated. Easy call for GameDay - I'm just glad we got 2:30.

After watching Baylor the past couple weeks I am not so sure they aren't the best team in the country. Last I looked they had the #1 offense and a top 10 defense. They have speed, good coaching, and a great QB. IMO they are NOT overrated. Easy call for GameDay - I'm just glad we got 2:30.

So what did you think last night when the Announcer said that Baylor's Defensive Backs "hold on nearly every play" starring early in the game and count on the Officials just getting tired of "throwing flags" and stop? Pretty tough statement from a national broadcaster.

Is that what you've seen too?

Their offense is intiguing. Their defense is ugly. They do not give up many yards because 1.) they are never on the field. 2.) they are not consistently playing teams with a strong offense.

It would be interesting to see what they could do in the SEC or B1G. And they will make for a fascinating BCS bowl. But I see them having a Notre Dame-like meltdown if they manage to slip into the BCS Championship.

So what did you think last night when the Announcer said that Baylor's Defensive Backs "hold on nearly every play" starring early in the game and count on the Officials just getting tired of "throwing flags" and stop? Pretty tough statement from a national broadcaster.

Certainly not the most disciplined defense, but results don't lie. As for the opposition, the one thing the Big 8 does have is good offenses.

Certainly not the most disciplined defense, but results don't lie. As for the opposition, the one thing the Big 8 does have is good offenses.

So do you agree with him or with seeing the games on TV you couldn't really say? Seen them play on TV too and didn't think about the holding. Wasn't looking for it and the cameras tend to follow the ball anyway. You don't see what may be going on elsewhere.

If he was right it's been a good strategy for them.

Another southern school. So incredibly original from College GameDay...

Meanwhile, how would we react if us and WISCY were both ranked in the top 15 and they chose to go to a 22 vs not ranked matchup?

99% of American's would know what the better matchup is here.
Two top ranked teams

or

Two teams from flyover country where one is ranked and the other isn't and the series has been noncompetitive for the last 10 years.

Meanwhile, how would we react if us and WISCY were both ranked in the top 15 and they chose to go to a 22 vs not ranked matchup?

Two top ranked teams

or

Two teams from flyover country where one is ranked and the other isn't and the series has been noncompetitive for the last 10 years.

This

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

So do you agree with him or with seeing the games on TV you couldn't really say? Seen them play on TV too and didn't think about the holding. Wasn't looking for it and the cameras tend to follow the ball anyway. You don't see what may be going on elsewhere.

If he was right it's been a good strategy for them.

I think it is silly to think a team would have a strategy to "hold on nearly every play" and to "count on the officials just getting tired of throwing flags". Sounds like a lone gunman conspiracy theory.

I think Baylor plays aggressive - to a fault at times. They are not very disciplined and commit a number of penalties. However the Raiders did that under Madden and it served them well and it is serving Baylor well. That is their strategy - Aggressive Aggressive Aggressive. I don't agree they commit penalties on purpose to make the refs throw less flags later. I think they don't frown upon penalties as much as some in an effort to promote very aggressive defense. I also think they are a Very Good team.

Two top ranked teams

or

Ya, Baylor and Oklahoma State aren't in flyover country.

The better game was chosen, but Minneapolis is the better location.

Gameday may have worked against us. I can imagine them dressed like it was below zero with the forecast. Could have engrained some perception nation wide?

I think it is silly to think a team would have a strategy to "hold on nearly every play" and to "count on the officials just getting tired of throwing flags". Sounds like a lone gunman conspiracy theory.

I think Baylor plays aggressive - to a fault at times. They are not very disciplined and commit a number of penalties. However the Raiders did that under Madden and it served them well and it is serving Baylor well. That is their strategy - Aggressive Aggressive Aggressive. I don't agree they commit penalties on purpose to make the refs throw less flags later. I think they don't frown upon penalties as much as some in an effort to promote very aggressive defense. I also think they are a Very Good team.

There's been a number of Hockey and Basketball teams with that strategy, but last night is the first night heard a "neutral" announcer talk about it in football.

As mentioned earlier, don't know about Baylor but you're right about Oakland under Madden. Miami did the same thing in college back in their 'bad old - pay them on the sidelines" days. When in trouble, commit the penalty and put the onus on the Officials. As for Holding as a strategy, never heard of that on Defense. On Offense? Joe Tiller's Offense was notorious for holding on nearly every play and they were quite successful with it. Can't say that I remember a game where they were called for Holding 25-30 times.

FWIW, I think Baylor is going to kill Oklahoma State! No contest. They humiliated Oklahoma last week.

Ahh, the ol' Bo Ryan defense.

Ya, Baylor and Oklahoma State aren't in flyover country.

The better game was chosen, but Minneapolis is the better location.

I disagree. It will be cold here and the collegiate atmosphere is weak, Gameday chose the better atmosphere and the better matchup. Minneapolis is a great place to visit, but it isn't a great college football destination (yet)

Top Bottom