College football's biggest potential shockers in 2021 (Minnesota upsets Ohio State in Week 1)

The issue with "going for broke" -

let's say the Gophs come out and blitz like crazy on OSU's first couple of possessions. If it works, maybe they force 3-and-outs or come up with a turnover. Advantage Gophers.

But - if OSU handles it, then advantage OSU.

Same on offense - if the Gophs come out on Offense and open up by throwing bombs or running trick plays, and it works, maybe they grab a quick score.

but if it doesn't work, then OSU grabs early momentum and field position.

so you have to weigh the risk vs reward aspect and decide if the gamble is worth it.

My gut tells me that Fleck will play his usual conservative style. any tricks or wacky stuff will only come out if the Gophers fall behind and need to do something to shift the momentum.

The issue with "going for broke" -

let's say the Gophs come out and blitz like crazy on OSU's first couple of possessions. If it works, maybe they force 3-and-outs or come up with a turnover. Advantage Gophers.

But - if OSU handles it, then advantage OSU.

Same on offense - if the Gophs come out on Offense and open up by throwing bombs or running trick plays, and it works, maybe they grab a quick score.

but if it doesn't work, then OSU grabs early momentum and field position.

so you have to weigh the risk vs reward aspect and decide if the gamble is worth it.

My gut tells me that Fleck will play his usual conservative style. any tricks or wacky stuff will only come out if the Gophers fall behind and need to do something to shift the momentum.
Really...the whole game is advantage OSU so Gophs really need to create those advantage opportunities. Conservative won't be any advantage unless OSU can't stop the run game. I think Fleck will try to strike quick on any turnovers Gophs get.

I remember when the Gophers had to open with Ohio State in the 70s, for the same reason - expansion of the B10 schedule, also playing them in the second game some years. It was no fun - we lost both openers and all four second games. The Buckeyes will be looking to make a statement after being crushed by Bama. It could be a long night for the Gophers.

I remember when the Gophers had to open with Ohio State in the 70s, for the same reason - expansion of the B10 schedule, also playing them in the second game some years. It was no fun - we lost both openers and all four second games. The Buckeyes will be looking to make a statement after being crushed by Bama. It could be a long night for the Gophers.
And the Gophers will be looking to make a statement as well. Those teams from the 70's were not good and it was during a time when the Gophers had no shot to compete with the best. Very different scenarios.

Now we could certainly still lose to Ohio State, they don't lose often, but this is a very different Gophers team than the ones that were taking the field back then while the program was going through its 40+ year period of being a joke much of the time.

OSU is too good to get beat on trick plays and gimmicks. The gophers need to control the ball and the clock, but be willing to take a shot when the opportunity is there. I think Fleck likes and trusts the oline and the offensive game plan will show that. I think the defensive may have a few wrinkles that we haven't seen because of the improved dt play will give the second and third levels a little more freedom.

And the Gophers will be looking to make a statement as well. Those teams from the 70's were not good and it was during a time when the Gophers had no shot to compete with the best. Very different scenarios.

Now we could certainly still lose to Ohio State, they don't lose often, but this is a very different Gophers team than the ones that were taking the field back then while the program was going through its 40+ year period of being a joke much of the time.
Some perspective. Gophs have beaten OSU 7 times in the last 100 years.

There were a lot of new plays, whole line shifts on runs we didn't run and etc for sure. DBs were playing WAY back and etc.

At the same time Aruburn didn't adapt at all ... or even seem to try to (classic Gus as I understand it).
Yeah, Gus didn’t adapt at halftime. Auburn fan sites went nuts. Day and his coaches will adapt in real time to whatever funny business we pull. Truth is that we need help from OSU—some bonehead mistakes and a couple of unforced errors—that we exploit if we are to have a shot.

Last edited:

Objective reality is supposed to set in after the game, not before …

Top Bottom