College Football: Way-Too-Early Bowl Projections (Minnesota vs Vandy in Gasparilla Bowl)

Well, I guess you may have missed it at the time, but there was a lot of chaos that year. Games/seasons cancelled, then suddenly the season back on again with an altered, truncated slate. Players unexpectedly missing games due to positive tests... in some cases many of the players were unavailable for a given game and the depth chart had to be juggled and cobbled together. Our best receiver, Rashad Bateman, left the team for good on Nov. 25. The Wisconsin and Northwestern games were cancelled, and then the Wisconsin game was hastily re-scheduled for later. The games that were played were staged in the surreal environment of empty stadiums.

The Gopher record in the midst of all this upheaval and unpredictability was 3-4. Two of the four losses, on the road at Maryland and at Wisconsin, were in overtime.

To describe the team's and the staff's performance during all of this adversity as "shitting the bed" seems very harsh, highly critical and excessively judgmental, especially coming from someone who apparently styles himself a fan.

You could just as easily have said, "Well, in all fairness we were picked to finish pretty high coming into 2020, but we came up short in the midst of all the COVID chaos." That's really much more fair and even-handed, and it accurately describes the record.

Instead, you chose to make the statement that the team "shit the bed", with no mention at all of the unprecedented, exceptionally bizarre circumstances that year.

So... I said my piece. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I don't have to like it.
Sorry I was referring to you saying the use of “we” as laughable. Don’t disagree with your post though

Furiously booking my travel arrangements now to wherever the F the Gasparilla Bowl is played.

Top Bottom