College football teams with most to gain in Week 1 (Minnesota Golden Gophers)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Crawford:

Minnesota Golden Gophers

Opponent: vs. Ohio State (Thursday)
A two-touchdown underdog at home to open this week against perennial Big Ten heavyweight Ohio State, P.J Fleck's Golden Gophers know the opportunity to put the national spotlight on Minnesota is there for the taking vs. one of the nation's top teams. Can they take advantage? A win would vault Fleck's team into the top 15 after Week 1. And it gives the Golden Gophers a legitimate shot at starting 7-0 this fall prior to the season-deciding stretch against Iowa, Indiana and Wisconsin to end the season. This is arguably the toughest home game for any team nationally this week and Fleck knows how arduous the task will be in winning.

"I think you just go back to what Coach Day has done and the proof that he's had," Fleck said, via GopherIllustrated. "I mean, he's 15-0 in the Big Ten. He's a really good football coach. They're in the College Football Playoff last year and national championship, so they're a really good football team with a lot of returning starters. They've lost some guys, but they're a team that reloads. They don't rebuild as they have very talented guys that are coming in and playing.

“So at every position they have depth and experience and they've got guys that are really, really talented. But again, they're a really good football team. I think everybody knows that and that's well-documented and well-deserved. We've got to be the best team we can be on Thursday night. That's where my focus lies, and that's what we'll continue to focus on."

Go Gophers!!

Can’t wait!! 36 more hours, I’ll be at the Bank!!!

OSU is very talented but sometimes those talented players look a head to the game the following week and lose focus on the game at hand.
PJ has a history of getting his team up for important games
if we pull off the upset of the season in week 1 all eyes will be towards Minneapolis for good reasons!!!

Top Bottom