College football rankings: ESPN updates top 25 as Bowl Season begins (12-18-22) -- Minnesota #20

Bfan

Reaction score
20. Minnesota. A nasty three-game losing streak midseason threw the Gophers off course, but they won four of the last five, including over rival Wisconsin before getting a shot at Syracuse in the Pinstripe Bowl.

"ESPN Football Power Index (FPI) college football rankings and computer prediction model are a measure of team strength that predicts a team’s future performance.

Rankings and scores predictions are based on 20,000 simulations of a team’s season, using a combination of analytics, including scores to date, quality of opponents, and a team’s schedule.

Note: This isn't a conventional "power ranking" of the best teams, but a projection of how every team would finish against an average opponent on a neutral field, ranked by expected point margin per game."

Thread title is misleading as it is not a poll, but that is explained in post.

I simply copied the SI article title at the link.

I will remove the word "poll" from the thread since that is misleading.

1671451917280.png

It wasn't just the thread title. The actual article title calls it a "poll" if you click on the link.

I read somewhere that there may be some disagreement regarding the meaning of mediocre.
There is a difference between it being a numerical ranking description and a description of the play you subjectively watch yes. It’s not very complicated.
Wisconsin is probably better than the average football team this year in FBS numerically.
Everyone in the west is above average at best if I’m doing my own subjective eye test, closer to medium quality than great quality.

Top Bottom