College Football Heading to a Playoff

Is there any chance that the Big Ten pools money to have the Championship game up north every now and then? Wishful thinking I suppose...

Better than the current system. but now it will just be an argument about which 4...And also the highest bidder thing sounds sketchy right off the bat. (See: World Cup Corruption)

Is there any chance that the Big Ten pools money to have the Championship game up north every now and then? Wishful thinking I suppose...

I think there's a great chance, if indeed it's going to be a bid system. If the Super Bowl can be in Minneapolis, Detroit and Indianapolis, there's absolutely no reason why the national championship can't be in those places. The people and the money will travel regardless of where the game is.

From Ivan Maisel at ESPN.com, regarding a selection committee

Agree with him 100% about the selection committee. Some folks are making such a big deal of it, but the solution is simple (see below):

"Before anyone has decided that a committee should select the four teams in the playoff, speculation has begun on the size of the committee and the identity of its appointees. Former Oklahoma coach Barry Switzer and former Florida State coach Bobby Bowden, Hall of Famers both, have volunteered. With all due respect, why pick any retired coach? Let’s not make this complicated. Pick commissioners and athletic directors -- as all the other sports have done for decades -- and trust their integrity."

It's not Rocket Science (that's my 2 cents).

If they did, Indy would be a more likely destination. Aside from the temperatures, which will absolutely wig out anyone from south of Kansas City, they'd be afraid of a big winter storm screwing up travel. Yeah, I know it's usually too cold to snow up here in January. FWIW, I'll bet the new Vikings stadium gets a final four within the first 10 years. The U has a very good reputation with the NCAA for managing that event. That's why we get so many regional finals and first round games.

So a panel will vote and select the top 4 teams in the country for a playoff. The team with the most number 1 votes will be the number 1 team in the country. ummmmmmm...

I can't wait to pay for a trip out to Arizona one week and then pay for a national title trip to Miami the next week...

Speaking of pay.....the continuation of classifying those responsible for the billions of dollars to be generated as "student" athletes while the universities and it's coaches, AD's and Presidents are paid fortunes..... I guess who ever said "pimping aint easy" never heard of college sports.

Every year there is grumbling in BB as to which 'bubble teams' don't make the tourney.

Can you imagine the complaints about teams 5 and 6 that don't make the FB Final Four?

Be prepared for a robust debate.

Personally if there is going to be a tournament I would rather see it be 16 teams that get in. The number 17 team that gets left out would have much less to bitch about than then number 5 team. People liked to complain about the old national championship system being too arbitrary but I don't see a four team tournament as being any less arbitrary.

...those responsible for the billions of dollars to be generated...

You would be referring to the member institutions that have created a revenue stream from football, in this instance.
The student/athlete is lucky. Very damn lucky to be able to attain a lifelong benefit in the form of an education due to their hard work, talent, and coaching at the high school level, and earlier coaching and schooling.
Any benefit they derive from their playing career above and beyond their education, is a benefit held exclusively for them.
For those players lucky enough to get the attention of the NFL or other professional leagues, they should thank, and give back to the school that enabled them to achieve those heights.
For those former players that are privileged enough to use that experience and the stories/anecdotes to garner employment or opportunities after their playing career should thank, and give back to the school that enabled them to achieve those goals.

We're not going to see eye-to-eye on this subject, but know that I respect you, and your experience.

You would be referring to the member institutions that have created a revenue stream from football, in this instance.
The student/athlete is lucky. Very damn lucky to be able to attain a lifelong benefit in the form of an education due to their hard work, talent, and coaching at the high school level, and earlier coaching and schooling.
Any benefit they derive from their playing career above and beyond their education, is a benefit held exclusively for them.
For those players lucky enough to get the attention of the NFL or other professional leagues, they should thank, and give back to the school that enabled them to achieve those heights.
For those former players that are privileged enough to use that experience and the stories/anecdotes to garner employment or opportunities after their playing career should thank, and give back to the school that enabled them to achieve those goals.

We're not going to see eye-to-eye on this subject, but know that I respect you, and your experience.

I respect you also...that goes without being said (however; thanks for saying it!).

I refused to believe that you actually think the players should be beholding to the "institutions" for being allowed to generate them (institutions) billions of dollars! That has to be one of the most pimpish things I have heard in a long time.

There is no revenue stream without the players who play. Increasing the players risk of injury by extending the season is unfair. Keep in mind NFL players who could have potentially say more game checks said no thanks (they don't get game checks for preseason games...less preseason game and more regular season games).

You mentioned my experience. It is my experience that my children go to college regardless of whether or not they play sports or receive a scholarship.

Gratitude? Should be all over of the place. The athlete for being allowed to represent the school (Scholarships? Nope, they are earned) and to the fans who take the time to support them. Coaches for being afforded a hell of a living (most of these guys couldn't make 10% of what they do anywhere else on the planet). Fans, for the athlete choosing their beloved institution and for the athlete representing said institution honorable. Non revenue sport athletes, for affording them a chance to play their sport on a college level. Student body, for giving them an excuse to get drunk...we won! Let's drink. We lost! Let's drink! And most of all the institutions themselves. Non revenue sports generate millions of dollars that help these institutions fulfill their mission.

Note:
I'm not suggesting athletes get paid pay checks. I think actual full ride scholarships would be adequate and a voice or say of some sort when it comes to making some of these decisions (a group made up of former players maybe?)

ok clarification Q and comment

I reaaaally hope that only conf champs are allowed in this tourney. Otherwise the regular season has less value. Or if they refuse to do that. Then if your conference champion isn't in the playoff then the 2nd place team can't be in there either.

My Q is...so the first we would see this game is Jan , 2015 correct? (2014 season)

Go Gophers! Just booked travel to see my Gophers play Purdue (only time the kids are off)

Martin G.

Top Bottom