College Football Heading to a Playoff

What's interesting are some of the specifics ... teams chosen by a committee, and the championship game headed to the highest-bidding city. Do I hear National Championship at the new Vikings stadium?

It won't happen.

I wish they would do something but they will do nothing.

Its like the stadium issue, they won't do anything until they feel threatened.

It won't happen.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKK

Purple Gator said:
It won't happen.

So is that like the Percy Harvin issue now?

yeah. so in the future the team with fewer injuries at key spots and a win streak is the national champ. I'd rather have it put to a vote like it is now. I know I am alone in my opinion.

Spot on by Rittenberg. The B1G was not a loser in this agreement.

Let the SEC crow all they want for now, they've earned it with the last 6 titles. But let's see how they feel in a few years when a Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska or Ohio State gets a second bid for the B1G ahead of an SEC 2nd bid the likes of Alabama, Florida, Georgia or LSU. It'll happen, and it won't be very long before it happens, especially if the SEC (as a whole) continues to schedule outside the conference like it usually does.

That's why Delany pushed so hard for (among other things) strength of schedule. The SEC is brutal, no doubt about it, but clearly any school that has designs on a national championship now knows who (and where) they play outside of their conference will be much more important in two years, moreso if they are not a conference champion.

in the future the team with fewer injuries at key spots and a win streak is the national champ.

The argument "a team with [some ridiculously large number of] losses is going to be the national champ now" is very silly in a college football playoff regardless of size, and it is extremely silly with a 4-team playoff. There has never been a national champ with more than 2 losses, and there will never be with this system. In many seasons, the #3 team has as good (or better) of a claim to the national title game as the #2 team, and this is a fair compromise between the arbitrary and exclusionary system in place now and a 8-, 12-, or 16-team playoff where your concerns may be a little more valid.

The argument "a team with [some ridiculously large number of] losses is going to the national champ now" is very silly in a college football playoff regardless of size, and it is extremely silly with a 4-team playoff. There has never been a national champ with fewer than 2 losses, and there will never be with this system. In many seasons, the #3 team has as good (or better) of a claim to the national title game as the #2 team, and this is a fair compromise between the arbitrary and exclusionary system in place now and a 8-, 12-, or 16-team playoff where your concerns may be a little more valid.

Gotta agree with you. It will be tougher for a #5, #6, or #7 team to claim they were ripped off (although they will). It seems to me that once you get past 4 teams, it becomes more exclusionary (or maybe more like "prohibitive") and has greater chance of cries of "foul". As 2nd place teams start entering the fray, we are kind of back where we are now. Four is the right number for right now. I will never say that a #4 team is a faux champion if they can beat the #1 and #2 on successive weeks.

Gotta agree with you. It will be tougher for a #5, #6, or #7 team to claim they were ripped off (although they will). It seems to me that once you get past 4 teams, it becomes more exclusionary (or maybe more like "prohibitive") and has greater chance of cries of "foul". As 2nd place teams start entering the fray, we are kind of back where we are now. Four is the right number for right now. I will never say that a #4 team is a faux champion if they can beat the #1 and #2 on successive weeks.

To your first point, much like the teams that don't get picked for the NCAA Basketball Tourney, unless every single school gets an invite, whoever is on the bubble of getting in will whine. If a team is #4 in a poll and didn't get picked by the committee, they will blast anyone and everyone who left them out. I wish there was some more clear cut way to eliminate judgment, but I don't think that's possible. Besides, I thought three was the right number and the right number was three??? :) (Monty Python reference)

To your point about a faux champion, I completely agree. I said this before, but I don't think very many people would have questioned Alabama being one of the top four last year. It just seemed a little out of line for them to be one of two when there were other teams that hadn't already lost to LSU. Had LSU won I think you would hear about the other teams being screwed for years.

They might complain, but who would pay attention? When #3 has as legitimate a case as #2 to be in the national championship game, that gets attention. #5 getting snubbed is going to get a lot less attention.

I'd have preferred a plus one. Go back to the old bowl schedule and include far more teams in the mix.

Ultimately there is absolutely no reason for the University presidents of the Big Ten to agree to this plan. So I suspect that Delaney (who is clearly dealing with several irrational people who do not belong in the same room, such as Swarbrick) had no option but to resort to the Good Guy/ Bad Guy negotiation technique: he rubber-stamps Mike Slive's plan, the presidents unanimously reject it. Delaney can then say, "I tried guys. Looks like its back to the 1997-1998 System". Then everyone realizes there needs to be significant deference to the BigTen's needs to ever get a deal done.

If the BCS evaporates there will probably be 6 major bowl games. The Big Ten, for its part, probably lands tie-ins with the Fiesta Bowl, Rose Bowl and Orange Bowl. Not a bad outcome.

Goldmember said:
If the BCS evaporates there will probably be 6 major bowl games. The Big Ten, for its part, probably lands tie-ins with the Fiesta Bowl, Rose Bowl and Orange Bowl. Not a bad outcome.

I never thought about that but you're right that the Big Ten would be in a lot of these Big games in such a scenario.

Who comprises the committee and what should their qualificiations be? Former Coaches? Former Athletic Directors? NO Joel sit down. Sportswriters? Will the committee be required to watch the games that go into the strenght of schedule? Will they take into account a highly rated team struggling to the finish and unalbe to cover the spread? And what if a conference champion who plays a representative non conference schedule ends up one maybe two losses are they out? The devil is in the details, and there will be one or more teams bitching, but the Champion will be settled on the field.

And that comes down to a bid, which is french for millions to host the game. I would bet the game will be played in Dallas. Jerry Jones cannot resist this game in his stadium.

husker70 said:
Who comprises the committee and what should their qualificiations be? Former Coaches? Former Athletic Directors? NO Joel sit down. Sportswriters? Will the committee be required to watch the games that go into the strenght of schedule? Will they take into account a highly rated team struggling to the finish and unalbe to cover the spread? And what if a conference champion who plays a representative non conference schedule ends up one maybe two losses are they out? The devil is in the details, and there will be one or more teams bitching, but the Champion will be settled on the field.

I like the idea of having retired/former coaches be the selection committee. They have the time to watch all the games and are best to evaluate which team is better IMO. This has been proposed by others. Have reputable former coaches such as Fisher DeBerry for example.

I like the idea of having retired/former coaches be the selection committee. They have the time to watch all the games and are best to evaluate which team is better IMO. This has been proposed by others. Have reputable former coaches such as Fisher DeBerry for example.

It is a very good idea and, as a fan of the game, I would like to see this incorporated into a selection committee as well.

Having said that, if they have someone such as Coach DeBerry on the committee, we can not assume he has the time to watch all games given that he's very active in a number of charitable organizations, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and does a number of speeches to various corporations, groups et al.

Guess what I'm saying is we wouldn't probably wouldn't see a guy like him on the committee given his commitment to making the lives of others better.

Two things I really like about this (besides the fact we're headed to a playoff):

1) The semifinal games will be held on New Years Eve and Day with the championship game the following week. Hopefully this means no other games will be played beyond New Years Day.

2) There is a selection committee. The BCS polls were a mess and I hated having computers and unknowledgeable poll voters determining who the "best" teams are. I wonder if the selection committee would have come to fruition without Delany. He was the only commissioner I heard of advocating it, granted I didn't play particularly close attention to the whole thing.

One thing I am curious about is how the Rose Bowl will work into the rotating semifinal model. Also, the ESPN article said the championship game would also rotate. Is this just a way to ensure the game isn't held in one place too often or will there be a fixed rotation? Overall though, I am happy with this and how it turned out.

Today 4 teams in a playoff tomorrow 8 teams in a playoff. This is just the beginning of more teams playing in the playoffs.

Is this just a way to ensure the game isn't held in one place too often or will there be a fixed rotation?

"...the semifinals will be held at current bowl sites and the national championship game will be awarded to the highest bidder."

From the article I linked previously.

This is joyous news

How long until we get to 16 teams?

I like that there are 4 teams and hope it never expands. Any more would compromise the regular season.

And that comes down to a bid, which is french for millions to host the game. I would bet the game will be played in Dallas. Jerry Jones cannot resist this game in his stadium.

I agree, this championship game has Dallas written all over it. Although I think it will move around. Put down your crack pipe, though, if you think it'll ever be played up here in the Vikings new digs. What scares me, though, is that this is a case of the rich getting richer. This system is geared towards rewarding the sacred cows like nd, SCum, tOSU, Texas, 'bama, etc. If those teams win their conferences, they'll be in, and probably deserve to be. It'll be very hard for the #2 $EC team to displace the BT champ, assuming the BT winner doesn't have more than 2 losses. But in the years a team like MSU (or us) wins the BT, we'll be very vulnerable to being left in the cold. And you think getting snubbed for the Alamo bowl (repeatedly) sucked azz. Wait until we win the BT for the first time in 50 years, and we get left out of the Rose Bowl because the irish had a great season.

As Husker said, the nitty gritty details will make or break this. Do it right, it could work. Screw it up, and you might as well let ESPN pick the teams. The big thing will be what sort of ranking/poll they use. Absolutely, they can't factor in any poll that starts voting before October. Otherwise the media darlings (see previous list) will have the inside track. Also, time will tell whether the threat on SoS has any teeth. It'll take chumping an 11-1 team that played a bunch of cooking schools in September ($EC, Wisconsin) to get that message across.

Every year there is grumbling in BB as to which 'bubble teams' don't make the tourney.

Can you imagine the complaints about teams 5 and 6 that don't make the FB Final Four?

Be prepared for a robust debate.

Top Bottom