College football ‘Super League’ details unveiled, would be called ‘College Student Football League’

A group of executives and administrators developing a college football “Super League” formally announced its proposal Tuesday, outlining a single, national league dubbed the College Student Football League (CSFL).

The details, which have been formulating for months, feature a football-only reorganization of the 136 Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) schools into two distinct conferences. The top 72 programs — mostly the current Power 5 — would compete in the Power 12 Conference, made up of a dozen six-team, geography-based divisions.

The remaining 64 programs — mostly the current Group of 5 — would compete in the Group of 8 conference.

A group of the top teams from the Group of 8 would be eligible for a “promotion” to play up against the Power 12 the following season, similar to the structure of European football leagues, but there would be no relegation among the Power 12 schools.

So we consolidated the conferences and now we want to go back to more conferences than we originally had and and call them divisions?

Curious to see how it plays out, but I don't think it's a clear non-starter. This is the end result of the NCAA resisting stipends to players in the first place. They chose not to get ahead of it and grossly misread the legal sentiments toward the players' work product. Once the NIL lawsuit went the players' way, the boulder started rolling down the hill. Where the boulder lands is anyone's guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was some variation on this theme.

If the conferences decide to restructure in such a way then follow the Green Bay Packers lead; a publicly-held non-profit affiliated contractually with each school and with a national league(s). Stock bought by/issued to fans, limits on stock ownership, volunteer executive committees. This would require some selfless visionaries, which are in short supply but I’d guess there are alumni. Not Sanford.

The schools should avoid at all costs inviting private capital, business interests into ownership. They will try to bribe key decision makers, influence lawmakers, create conditions ripe for a takeover or conditions in the market where the schools require “assistance”, if they can. Nobody needs their money, or their expertise, which is only in extracting value and revenue, and legal jujitsu. Run away from these guys…

I like the proposal. I like the grouping by strength and geography. It makes sense -- so it has no chance of adoption.

I don't love it but I don't hate it either. I would much rather be competing with Wisconsin, Iowa, Iowa State, and even Ohio State in a 'division' than I would USC, Washington, Rutgers, Oregon, and Maryland. I see and understand the concerns about the current proposal (Ohio State misaligned, for example) but would like to see some sort of a plan similar to emerge as 'THE' plan. There are schools that make more sense for our 'division' than Ohio State...Nebraska, Notre Dame, Illinois...but the current 'proposal' has some merit. If we are going to play a national schedule...which we will and are (North Carolina, USC, UCLA, Maryland, Rutgers, and Penn State are on this year's football schedule)...this proposal would not be worse...

Top Bottom